The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
They will certainly have more insight into my questions than I would, even if it's just based on an NBA referee informal around the water cooler discussion.

Many of us know why the rules that we use exist (intent and purpose). Why not the same for the NBA guys, especially the curious ones.
I am sure they know but they probably do not obsess about it. Pro players are not worried about everyone looking the same. That is obvious unless you really are not paying attention. All that matters is the jersey and can it be seen. Even our rules with the NF are often unnecessary. Who cares if the arm sleeve matches the damn jersey. Does this prevent you from calling a foul?

Peace
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am sure they know but they probably do not obsess about it. Pro players are not worried about everyone looking the same. That is obvious unless you really are not paying attention. All that matters is the jersey and can it be seen. Even our rules with the NF are often unnecessary. Who cares if the arm sleeve matches the damn jersey. Does this prevent you from calling a foul?

Peace
I am friends with both of JUSATCOACH's sons and his nephew. I've been around them for plenty of conversations. For some strange reason, I've never heard why any level they worked had a certain uniform rule. What they do discuss is the proper enforcement of said rules so they can move on to more relevant officiating conversations.

Billy posts a great discussion play where respected officials have their own differing opinions on the play, yet he is obsessing about the NBA's undergarment rule.....SMFH.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank You ...

Quote:
I am sure they know but they probably do not obsess about it.
Thank you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I am friends with both of JUSATCOACH's sons and his nephew. I've been around them for plenty of conversations. For some strange reason, I've never heard why any level they worked had a certain uniform rule. What they do discuss is the proper enforcement of said rules so they can move on to more relevant officiating conversations.

Billy posts a great discussion play where respected officials have their own differing opinions on the play, yet he is obsessing about the NBA's undergarment rule.....SMFH.
He does that with a lot of topics. Takes the thing off topic about something no one but him seems to care about. I work football and did baseball for years before retiring and many things were different from the NF level to the other levels. It is how it works and there are many more rules differences in football than anyone could ever imagine here. If you obsessed over those rules, you would drive yourself crazy. We just try to in football know that the rule is different so we can apply it properly. Billy has too much damn time on his hands and so do I talking about it. LOL!!!

Peace
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hyperbole ...

Quote:
I am friends with both of JUSATCOACH's sons and his nephew. I've been around them for plenty of conversations.
While not anywhere near the same degree of friendship as Raymond, I am also a friend of justacoach, which is why I thought that I could ask him such a non-serious question.

Quote:
... he is obsessing about the NBA's undergarment rule ...
C'mon Raymond. Certainly you can tell the difference between obsession and curiosity.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 04:46pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

C'mon Raymond. Certainly you can tell the difference between obsession and curiosity.
Your word count on the block/charge vs. your word count on the undergarment reveal the difference.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 03:01pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Retired ???

Quote:
Billy has too much damn time on his hands and so do I talking about it.
True. I've never met JRutledge, and have had no contact with him other than the Forum, but always considered him too young to be retired. He did once mention (showing his pride) that his parents were active in the civil rights movement of the past century so he may be older than I believe him to be.

Come to think of it, there are some regular Forum posters that seem to be able to post throughout the day, like me. Have we become a forum of retirees?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 03:08pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Out Of My Lane ...

Quote:
Your word count on the block/charge vs. your word count on the undergarment reveals the difference.
Great observation, and quite true. I'm always hesitant to post on levels outside of the NFHS.

Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
True. I've never met JRutledge, and have had no contact with him other than the Forum, but always considered him too young to be retired. He did once mention that his parents were active in the civil rights movement of the past century so he may be older than I believe him to be.

Come to think of it, there are some regular Forum posters that seem to be able to post all day like me. Have we become a forum of retirees?
I am likely older than you think but that has nothing to do with the last paragraph.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Great observation, and quite true. I'm always hesitant to post on levels outside of the NFHS.
Plays are plays. Discuss it at your level.

The NBA has employees who monitor social media. You are not going see any opinions on NBA plays on social media by officials in the NBA pipeline. There were a couple of NBA vets on Facebook who would occasionally explain why certain plays were called a certain way, but I've noticed that has tailed off recently.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Peace ...

Quote:
JRutledge ... did once mention (showing his pride) that his parents were active in the civil rights movement of the past century ...
I found it. Greatest JRutledge post ever on the Forum. A very rare peek into his private life outside of basketball. One can read the pride he has in his Mom and Dad, as he certainly should. I'm proud of them and I don't even know them.

Quote:
I have been in several games where people did not celebrate the Anthem in several different ways. For one many people in certain places do not stand or put their hand over their heart. So if I got upset every time someone did not do something they were supposed to based on the standards of this practice, then I would have done something long time ago. Now I have been involved in games where some kind of "protest" has taken place in both football and basketball. My father is buried in a Veteran Cemetery and I grew up respecting this flag, but I had a mother that was in the Civil Rights Movement where she was in a lawsuit for discrimination when they segregated a school in Florida. So I want this country to uphold the standards they have set. And protest is supposed to be uncomfortable and supposed to draw attention ... But it is not my place to tell those what to do personally with their politics outside of the game. I am also a person that officiated both a football and basketball game at a school whose mascot was the "Rebel Flag" and as an African-American who is deeply offended by that flag ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 05:04pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
True. I've never met JRutledge, and have had no contact with him other than the Forum, but always considered him too young to be retired. He did once mention (showing his pride) that his parents were active in the civil rights movement of the past century so he may be older than I believe him to be.

Come to think of it, there are some regular Forum posters that seem to be able to post throughout the day, like me. Have we become a forum of retirees?
I'm retired, retired military. In 5 years, I'll add another retiree tag to my shingle after 21 years of federal civil service. I'm old enough that I was directly affected by Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1. I'm young enough that I can hold my own in talking sh!t about music, sports, and pop culture with Airmen who graduated high school during the Trump presidency.

I can post throughout the day because I work in I.T. and often have downtime while waiting for something to finish.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 03:26pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fictitious Pseudonym ...

Quote:
The NBA has employees who monitor social media. You are not going see any opinions on NBA plays on social media by officials in the NBA pipeline.
Lowly IAABO, on both the local level, and international level, consisting of mostly high school officials, has strongly urged us to stay off of social media. That's why I don't post under my real name. I'd like to post under my real name and location, I feel like a coward with no conviction hiding behind a fictitious pseudonym, but I'm a rule follower, not a rebel.

BillyMac from a little corner of Connecticut. If I gave you any more information, then I would have to kill you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 03:47pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Lowly IAABO, on both the local level, and international level, consisting of mostly high school officials, has strongly urged us to stay off of social media. That's why I don't post under my real name. I'd like to post under my real name and location, I feel like a coward with no conviction hiding behind a fictitious pseudonym, but I'm a rule follower, not a rebel.

BillyMac from a little corner of Connecticut. If I gave you any more information, then I would have to kill you.
I switched to my real name so I that don't ever "hide behind the keyboard". It helps me in holding myself accountable and not posting anything I'm not willing to put my name behind.

I actually ran into a couple of Forum members this past weekend.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dick Tracy ...

Quote:
I switched to my real name so I that don't ever "hide behind the keyboard". It helps me in holding myself accountable and not posting anything I'm not willing to put my name behind.
I fully understand and agree with your reasoning and wish I had the courage to do the same (true for all that post under their real name and location).

It doesn't take Dick Tracy to figure out who BillyMac, an IAABO member from a little corner of Connecticut really is, but it does give me some degree of plausible deniability and anonymity, at least enough to satisfy IAABO.

Anybody who private messages me on the Forum gets a full Monty reply. Wait? I'm being told ... Nudity? Really? Never mind.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 04:25pm.