The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 09:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Block/Charge ...

Comments?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 12, 2021 at 09:10am.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 10:34am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm going with a block just based on the contact from the left shoulder to the right leg.

In the NBA, it has to be a 100%, no doubt about it, run over for this particular play to be called an offensive foul. If there's any debate or doubt, then they're going block.

I just think it's a philosophy in the NBA and D1 basketball that on high flying, athletic plays like this the defense needs to clearly be legal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Green might still be moving left / straightening up when White leaves the ground. And, NBA might have the "LGP at the time of upward motion" rule that NCAA tried for a year or so (I don't know whether they do; just speculating).
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

I got a charge or a no call. For one his left foot is in place before the player moves off the floor. But again the NBA might have a different line of demarcation here, but at the NCAA level and NF level, I have a charge.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 12:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Defender sticks his leg into the path, way outside of his own natural cylinder, and is still getting his torso to that spot when contact occurs.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jul 12, 2021 at 12:36pm.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Defender sticks his leg into the path, way outside of his own natural cylinder, and is still getting his torso to the spot when contact occurs.
I do not see anyone sticking out their leg. I honestly barely see contact. So that is why I said I might go no call if I see it that clearly. But on any 50/50 play, the defender is getting the benefit from me. If you don't they will try that mess all game and we will have to keep ruling on these plays.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Extending ...

Quote:
Defender sticks his leg into the path, way outside of his own natural cylinder ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see anyone sticking out their leg ...
Here's the NFHS language:

A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.

A player shall not hold, push, charge, trip or impede the progress of an opponent by extending arm(s), shoulder(s), hip(s) or knee(s), or by bending his/her body into other than a normal position; nor use any rough tactics.

The difference between a "normal" stance and an illegal leg extension is subjective and can be fractions of an inch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 12, 2021 at 04:00pm.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 12:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I do not see anyone sticking out their leg. I honestly barely see contact. So that is why I said I might go no call if I see it that clearly. But on any 50/50 play, the defender is getting the benefit from me. If you don't they will try that mess all game and we will have to keep ruling on these plays.

Peace
50/50 on the floor, I'll go PC. 50/50 on high-flying plays like this, I'm going block.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well unless I have some other standard, this is a charge to me and would be live and certainly in a close play like this. I do not expect defenders to be "perfect."

Peace
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Control Foul ...

Quote:
Well unless I have some other standard, this is a charge to me ...
Same in my high school game, player control foul.

And it should be a fairly simple call for me because I saw it coming from a mile away. No surprises.

But I can also see why some may rule otherwise.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 11:15am.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 01:20pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

I'll check my homies with NBA backgrounds...

and post their takes on this play.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bunch Of Grown Men Dressed Like Fifth Graders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I'll check my homies with NBA backgrounds and post their takes on this play.
While you're at it, please ask your kids about NBA "undershirts".

I'm not a big NBA fan, but I have watched parts of a few games during the playoffs.

It's very obvious to me that the NBA doesn't have the same fashion rules as the NFHS.

Nor do I expect them to be the same.

When I do an NBA rule search on the internet, I find that while true undershirts are illegal (remember Patrick Ewing complaining his rookie NBA year), compression shirts for medical reasons are legal.

If this is true, why doesn't the NBA restrict the color of the under-compression shirts?

For a world class organization, it's a horrible look.

I turn on the game and see bunch of grown men dressed like fifth grade boys in a small town basketball recreation league practice session.

NBA teams certainly have the money to purchase "jersey matching" under-compression shirts for their players.

So, please ask your boys, what's the story?

Is the NBA savings money by not purchasing "jersey matching" under-compression shirts in order pay your kids the big bucks?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 20, 2021 at 11:50am.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While you're at it, please ask your kids about NBA "undershirts".

I'm not a big NBA fan, but I have watched parts of a few games during the playoffs.

It's very obvious to me that the NBA doesn't have the same fashion rules as the NFHS.

Nor do I expect them to be the same.

When I do an NBA rule search on the internet, I find that while true undershirts are illegal (remember Patrick Ewing complaining his rookie NBA year), compression shirts for medical reasons are legal.

If this is true, why doesn't the NBA restrict the color of the under-compression shirts?
His crew is not going to know WHY. Might be hard to believe, but they (folks in the NBA pipeline) focus on WHAT the uniform/equipment rules are and HOW to enforce them. They save their WHY's and HOW COME's for play-calling discussions, such as the actual topic of this thread.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 02:17pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Water Cooler Discussion

Quote:
His crew is not going to know WHY. Might be hard to believe, but they (folks in the NBA pipeline) focus on WHAT the uniform/equipment rules are and HOW to enforce them. They save their WHY's and HOW COME's for play-calling discussions, such as the actual topic of this thread.
They will certainly have more insight into my questions than I would, even if it's just based on an NBA referee informal around the water cooler discussion.

Many of us know why many of the rules that we use exist (intent and purpose). Why not the same for the NBA guys, especially the curious ones.

I know why the NFHS has it's undershirt rule, to allow officials to easily identify players on each team during fast paced action.

Raymond is correct, I did turn the topic a little sideways (heading toward NBA differences), and apologize it I have distracted from the purpose of my own thread.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 08:44am.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
They will certainly have more insight into my questions than I would, even if it's just based on an NBA referee around the water cooler discussion.
As usual, the point goes completely above your head. What insight are you looking for? They care about the WHY's of PLAY-CALLING. Referees at that level and aspiring for that level don't sit around talking about uniforms; when standing around a water cooler they discuss PLAY-CALLING.

WTH would an up-and-coming NBA official care about HOW COME the NBA has a certain uniform/equipment rule? Pestering somebody about that will guarantee a shortened career at that level.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 02:46pm.