The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Summary ...

So what have we (or maybe just me) confirmed recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
8-2: The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul must be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute must attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach.
Quote:
2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 1: A1 is fouled by B1 late in the second quarter. It is a common foul and the seventh Team B foul. The bonus situation is not recognized by the scorer or the officiating crew, and the Team A coach substitutes A6 for A1. A6 is beckoned onto the floor and A1 goes to the team bench. The scorer recognizes the error and sounds the horn (a) just before or (b) just after the administering official hands the ball to A2 for a throw-in. RULING: This is a correctable-error situation and falls within the proper timeframe for a correction. In both (a) and (b), A6 leaves the game with A1 re-entering to shoot the bonus free throw. Play is resumed as after any free-throw attempt(s). If the second free throw is successful and the coach desires, A6 may re-enter the contest. (2-10-1a; 2-10-6)
Quote:
4-5: A team’s own basket is the one into which its players try to throw or tap the ball. If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed must count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play must resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.
Quote:
2.10.4 SITUATION B: The officials erroneously permit A1 to shoot technical foul free throws at Team B’s basket; A1 makes both free throws. When the error is discovered, the time frame for the correctable error (a) has not passed; or (b) has passed. RULING: In (a), cancel the successful free throws by A1 and administer the free throws again at the correct basket. In (b), the free throws by A1 shall not be canceled and count toward Team A’s point total.
Thanks Zoochy, Nevadaref, bob jenkins, Camron Rust, JRutledge, Raymond, and Mike Goodwin.

We (I) won't be getting any of these wrong on our (my) next written exam.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 01:47pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Knew it, but wanted it confirmed.
You do not have any friends in officiating that you can talk to about these things? There are times when things need clarification and I contact people that I respect not on this site. I certainly do not go over and over with things I think I know or do not know here all the time. If that was hard to understand, then ask someone that you deal with in real life. You claim to be connected to people that are in IAABO, so why not ask them. This is not hard, not at all. It is obvious if you shoot at the wrong basket on a FT, that is a CR. It is likely that way because you need to earn that on your own basket, not give points to the other team.

This stuff just gets hard to follow when the same person goes back and forth about the same point over and over again with themselves. I am not even sure what was being talked about until others stepped in.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 11:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Connections ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You do not have any friends in officiating that you can talk to about these things? There are times when things need clarification and I contact people that I respect not on this site ... connected to people that are in IAABO, so why not ask them.
With rare exemption, my personal life and basketball officiating have few dove-tails outside of basketball season, and unlike others on the Forum, basketball season for me is a strictly November to March endeavor.

I view the Forum as an educational resource, as much as a rulebook, casebook, mechanics manual, IAABO International, my local board, You Tube, or some other website. And I have a high degree of respect for Forum members, especially the regular posters, who have a much better grasp of basketball rules and mechanics than 95% of the guys on my local board, a small percentage who don't know, or who don't care, if the basketball is stuffed, or inflated.

Got a question? Why not ask the Forum? And I'm not a big fan of the "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" philosophy when it comes to using the Forum as an educational resource. It's the twenty-first century. The internet was invented for a reason, let's use it to our advantage. There a ton of basketball officiating expertise on the Forum. Why let it go to waste?

I do have access to the IAABO International "Gang of Four" co-interpreters. However, they are responsible to over 15,000 IAABO members, and I only contact them with pressing matters of great importance. When I've contacted them they have been gracious in their replies, and on occasion have "bumped" up the question to their "connections" at the NFHS. While my local interpreter is quite good, and approachable, I view that individual position of authority as quite limited in scope, especially when I want "NFHS-level" answers relevant to all situations, including situations outside of my little corner of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 12:29pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not saying to not ask questions here. I am saying that if you are struggling with the details of an issue in a rule that is outside of the original conversation, you have no one to bring that to other than this forum? And again no issue if you bring up an issue that is talked about, but you bring up something you are confused about and go on and on with yourself. We are not confused about that aspect of the rule. And we did not write the rule or sit on the committee to know why there is an issue or how it should be corrected. All I am saying is that if it is that much of an issue, talk to someone that you know in your organization. I do that often and no one even knows I had the conversation. I also have other forums to discuss things so when there is something that takes place that I want other opinions on, I can go there as well. I read stuff on this site I would never do and I will only explain what we are told here and if I need an interpretation that hard, I ask the folks I work with or answer to.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 11:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Wouldn't It Be Nice (The Beach Boys, 1966) ...

Quote:
... we did not ... sit on the committee ...
Yeah. I know. Too bad. Wouldn't it be nice if somebody from the NFHS was a Forum member?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 02:12pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 01:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The NFHS Sometimes Does Listen To The Great Unwashed....

Quote:
...we did not write the rule ...
Speak for yourself. These have my fingerprints all over them. My fifteen seconds of fame. Will have them engraved on my tombstone.

3-3-E Defensive Match-Up, 2003-04
4-22 Goaltending, 2015-16
3-5-3 Compression Shorts, 2016-17

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 08:42am.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Speak for yourself. These have my sticky fingerprints all over them. My fifteen seconds of fame. Will have them engraved on my tombstone.

3-3-E Defensive Match-Up, 2003-04
4-22 Goaltending, 2015-16
3-5-3 Compression Shorts, 2016-17
I said the people you were asking. Not referring to what you have done or not done. If that is what you have done, then you should be able to ask people that are higher than our pay grade about why a rule that has been in place for well over 20 years you should be able to ask those in positions, what should be done or why a rule are there in the first place?

Peace
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Got My Back ...

Quote:
... should be able to ask people that are higher than our pay grade about why a rule ...
It took a few days, but Nevadaref and Mike Goodwin came through when they were needed.

Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It took a few days, but Nevadaref and Mike Goodwin came through when they were needed.
One actually cited the relevant rule/case play and the other utilized the search options available to forum members. Someone with 40 years of officiating and 20K posts shouldn't need that type of spoon-feeding.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Even A Thank You ...

Quote:
If that is what you have done, then you should be able to ask people that are higher than our pay grade about why a rule ...
Thousands have suggested rule changes to the NFHS over the many years. Dozens, perhaps hundreds, have had their rule change suggestions approved part way, or all the way, up the ladder. I doubt that any of those get any special privileges, no personal phone numbers, no secret handshakes, no Christmas cards, etc. I know that I didn't, not even a thank you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 04:44pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 02:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Piling On ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
One actually cited the relevant rule/case play and the other utilized the search options available to forum members. Someone with 40 years of officiating and 20K posts shouldn't need that type of spoon-feeding.
Quote:
My big mistake was looking for guidance solely in the rulebook, and not including the casebook in my research ... I should have followed up with a deep dive into the casebook, but I didn't.
Go ahead. Keep piling on. I deserve it.

And I do consider Nevadaref above my pay grade, too early to tell for Mike Goodwin, but he probably is.

Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 03:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Awe ...

Quote:
And I do consider Nevadaref above my pay grade, too early to tell for Mike Goodwin, but he probably is.
I'm probably the lowest pay grade regular poster on the Forum. I'm often in awe of the rules expertise that is consistently presented on this forum.

And I'm definitely the most prolific poster.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 13, 2021 at 04:45pm.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2021, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twenty Thousand Posts Under The Sea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Someone with 40 years of officiating and 20K posts ...
I didn't realize that I had reached 20,000 posts.

No celebration? No cards? No gifts?

Is there a level above Esteemed Forum Member?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 10:15am.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2021, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Reading is Fundamental

Quote:
I'm not proud of this, but I stopped reading the entire casebook annually cover to cover a few years back, now only reading it when I have a specific written rule exam question, or a specific "real game" question.
^This looks significant.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2021, 11:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Guilty ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
This looks significant.
Guilty as charged. I'll get my head into the entire casebook as I prepare for next season's refresher exam. Pinky swear.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 20, 2021 at 11:49am.