View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 08, 2021, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twist And Shout (The Beatles, 1964) ...

New twist, situation #3.

B1 commits a common foul on A1. A1 is substituted by A6. A6 is legally beckoned and enters the court. Official erroneously hands ball to inbounder A3 (ball becomes live). Timer immediately sounds the horn. Informs the official the foul was #7 for Team B.

It's a correctable error (failure to award a merited free throw) that falls within the correctable error time frame (with no change of possession, rebounders for free throw(s)).

Who shoots the free throw(s)?

The substitute A6?

Or A1, who hasn't sat the required tick?

I'm only aware of one exception to the sit a tick rule - playing with five "trumps" the sit a tick rule (see citations below).

Is this another exception?

I doubt it.

8.2 SITUATION B: A1 is fouled and will be shooting two free throws. After A1’s
first free-throw attempt, B6 (Team B’s only remaining eligible substitute) replaces
B2. A1’s second free-throw attempt is unsuccessful. During rebounding action for
A1’s missed second free-throw attempt, and before the clock starts, A1 pushes B3
in the back causing B3 to roll an ankle. Team B is in the bonus. B3 is unable to
immediately continue playing. Team B requests and is granted a time out in order
to allow B3 to recover from the ankle injury so as to remain in the game. B3 is still
not able to play after the time out has ended. RULING: B2 may return to the game
and replace B3 and shoot B3’s free throw attempts despite having been replaced
since he/she is the only available substitute. (3-3-4)

3.1.1 SITUATION: After six players have been disqualified, Team A has only
four who are eligible to continue in the game as players. In a gesture of fair play,
the coach of Team B indicates a desire to withdraw a player so that each team will
have four players on the court. RULING: This is not permissible. Team B must
have five players participating as long as it has that number available.
If no substitute
is available, a team must continue with fewer than five players. When only
one player remains to participate, that team shall forfeit the game unless the referee
believes this team still has an opportunity to win the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 08, 2021 at 02:56pm.