The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2021, 10:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Birds And Bees ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Each committee does not give a crap what the other one does. They worry about their game and their game only for the most part.
JRutledge is in a much better position than me to understand the complexities of NCAA men's and women's differentiated rules and mechanics.

But I would think that they are, at least, aware of what the other is doing and, for reasons benefiting each, choosing either do the same, or not to do the same.

It is often opined on the Forum that NCAA rules often trickle down to the NFHS. When one looks at all three groups, NFHS, NCAAM, and NCAAW, there might be tiny little bit of "cross pollination" going on.

There's probably more in common between NFHS basketball, NCAAM basketball, and NCAAW basketball, than there are differences between them.

If a being from Jupiter were to land here and watch all three games for the very first time, it would take him a very long time to note subtle differences, certainly longer than it would take him to note that the line at the women's restroom is much longer than the line at the men's rest room, and that concession stand beer is more expensive than beer purchased at a store.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 05, 2021 at 10:16am.
Old Wed May 05, 2021, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA-Women's mechanics are more in line with the NBA than they are with NCAA-Men's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed May 05, 2021 at 01:28pm.
Old Wed May 05, 2021, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge is in a much better position than me to understand the complexities of NCAA men's and women's differentiated rules and mechanics.

But I would think that they are, at least, aware of what the other is doing and, for reasons benefiting each, choosing either do the same, or not to do the same.

It is often opined on the Forum that NCAA rules often trickle down to the NFHS. When one looks at all three groups, NFHS, NCAAM, and NCAAW, there might be tiny little bit of "cross pollination" going on.

There's probably more in common between NFHS basketball, NCAAM basketball, and NCAAW basketball, than there are differences between them.
The Men's level trickles down to the high school level more often IMO. Women's basketball is often trying to align with the NBA which has their own ideas of things. That is why they went to quarters for the most part and many of their coverage areas are similar to the NBA.

Peace
Old Wed May 05, 2021, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm curious why women's basketball is trying to copy the NBA. Is it because the mechanics and/or coverage ideas that the NBA uses are better for the women's game, or is it because the officiating movers and shakers have an NBA background (looking at you, Violet Palmer) and are trying to re-create something familiar?

Anyway, when I saw the video on RefQuest, I answered team control foul, because the player no longer had possession when he crashed into a legally positioned defender. I was surprised that the Lead did not call that, because he seemed to be in good position based on the video.
Old Wed May 05, 2021, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post

Anyway, when I saw the video on RefQuest, I answered team control foul, because the player no longer had possession when he crashed into a legally positioned defender. I was surprised that the Lead did not call that, because he seemed to be in good position based on the video.
He may have felt it wasn't worth a whistle. Or it may have caught him by surprise. I wish he would have rotated, that way we would know for sure that he saw the play completely and his lack of a whistle would be based on his judgment, and not the possibility he didn't see the play clearly.
Old Sat May 15, 2021, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...O0M%2F5w%3D%3D

Is this a Block, Player Control, Charge or No Call Correct? Observe the play and make a decision as to whether this should have been ruled a Block, Player Control, Charge or is it a No Call Correct? Who is responsible for making a judgment on this play - the Center or the Lead? Can the Trail help on this play?

Five choices: This is Player Control foul. This is a Blocking foul. This is a Flop. This is incidental contact (NCC - No Call Correct). This is a Charge.

My comment: This is a Charge. Ball handler Blue #10 releases the ball on a pass and then charges into White #1 who had legal guarding position. Team control foul.
In my opinion this was either a block or a no call. Why? In my opinion, the defender does move, just slightly to a different position once the UCLA player has gone airborn and he does maintain the newly established position in the landing spot of the airborn player.

On a side note, as a fan, I don't like seeing a very questionable call with 14 seconds left in the game deciding a Sweet 16 game. (As a Michigan fan, I wish the call had been a team control foul and no basket, as I think Michigan would have had a better chance vs Alabama).
Old Sun May 16, 2021, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
In my opinion this was either a block or a no call. Why? In my opinion, the defender does move, just slightly to a different position once the UCLA player has gone airborn and he does maintain the newly established position in the landing spot of the airborn player.

On a side note, as a fan, I don't like seeing a very questionable call with 14 seconds left in the game deciding a Sweet 16 game. (As a Michigan fan, I wish the call had been a team control foul and no basket, as I think Michigan would have had a better chance vs Alabama).
Nothing says the defender can't move. The rule says the defender can't move "into the path" after the opponent is airborne. It is incorrect to call a block on a player for a slight movement that doesn't change the player's position relative to being in the path.