The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Pass/Crash

This is my third year officiating and I absolutely "love it".

I should know this and I do not have a mechanic's manual in front of me. My questions is on Pass & Crash situations.

If I'm the Lead, and there is a drive to the basket, who has responsibility for the "crash" and who has the "pass"? I've discussed this with veteran officials and I can't seem to get a definitive answer as to who's responsibility is what. It's different almost every time I work with a different guy/gal.

Also, what if there's a Pass & Crash elsewhere on the court? Let's say between the 3 point arch and mid-court?

Thanks!
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 09:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacodee View Post
... I've discussed this with veteran officials and I can't seem to get a definitive answer as to who's responsibility is what. It's different almost every time I work with a different guy/gal.

Also, what if there's a Pass & Crash elsewhere on the court? Let's say between the 3 point arch and mid-court?

Thanks!
This is why pre-games amongst officials are important.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:00am.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 09:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

In a 2-whistle game, I prefer to have the Lead take the ball and the Trail take the crash. But others will say that they prefer to have the ball dictate the coverage. IOW, if the ball goes toward the Lead's primary, then the Trail has the crash; if the ball is kicked opposite to the Trail's primary then the Lead stays with the crash.

As BNR said, it's important to pre-game this with your partner so you know that you're on the same page for the night.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have been taking IAABO rules class for the last 5 weeks and justed passed the IAABO rules test. Last night was our first class on mechanics and we went over this very topic. The answer is... "Lead always follows the ball and trail takes the crash". This is according to our instructor with over 46 years experience as an official.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 04:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
I have been taking IAABO rules class for the last 5 weeks and justed passed the IAABO rules test. Last night was our first class on mechanics and we went over this very topic. The answer is... "Lead always follows the ball and trail takes the crash". This is according to our instructor with over 46 years experience as an official.
Can't say always....if a secondary defender is involved the Lead most often has the best look. Trail not have any idea secondary defender had LGP or was at that spot first.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 05:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Usually most philosophies are not covered in any manual. At least not one produced by the NF.

The way I was trained was to have the person who had the player (originally), stay with that player until they come back to the floor or they get under control.

As said, this is why you need to talk about this in pre-game. You need to know if anyone has different philosophies or opinions on what should be done. Then adjust to what ever you can agree with.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 05:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
In a 2-whistle game, I prefer to have the Lead take the ball and the Trail take the crash. But others will say that they prefer to have the ball dictate the coverage. IOW, if the ball goes toward the Lead's primary, then the Trail has the crash; if the ball is kicked opposite to the Trail's primary then the Lead stays with the crash.

As BNR said, it's important to pre-game this with your partner so you know that you're on the same page for the night.
I like it!
Thanks.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

That is how I prefer to do it.

Said another way...take the half of the pass/crass that is closer to you. This means that both parts of it will usually be covered well. In the aternate method, you can end up with a pass that is difficult for the lead to cover.