The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 11, 2021, 09:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...yOBFORbQ%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary: Correct Answer: The ruling of a held ball is correct.

A held ball occurs when opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness. (4-25-1) Many officials make this ruling too quickly, without allowing the players the opportunity to gain control before determining a held ball has occurred. In this play, the crew makes the proper ruling.

The signal sequence has changed since this game was played. The ruling official should sound the whistle and use the stop clock signal (open palm), followed by the held ball signal. We should also notice that after the play was stopped, the official facing the table properly determined the direction of the alternating possession arrow and signaled the direction. The official facing away from the table should continue to monitor players during the dead-ball period. Once the direction of the arrow is determined, and play is settled, the ruling official should verbalize the color of the team receiving the ball, signal direction, and indicate the throw-in spot. (IAABO Manual p. 23 Section 14)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: The ruling of a held ball is correct 95% (including me). The ruling is incorrect (more time is needed to make a proper judgment) 5%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 11, 2021 at 01:00pm.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2021, 09:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Give Both Men A Cigar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Since there's not a mask in sight, and since both officials signaled "held ball" without the "stop clock" signal, this video probably predates the signal change that started in the the 2019-20 season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I agree with Mike Goodwin that it's possible this clip came before the change that requires a stop clock signal before the held ball signal.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The signal sequence has changed since this game was played.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 11, 2021 at 12:00pm.