The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 02, 2021, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Drive & Push-Off

From JRut’s page. Thought it was a good one for discussion, especially in terms of positioning, believability, etc. But also in terms of “would you have called that in your game?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

I am SO glad that this is getting called like this now. It hasn't been long since this was almost universally called a block despite the defender meeting all the requirements spelled out in the LGP rule. It is good that the "he wasn't set" mentality is almost completely gone.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 11:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Unrelated to the call, the Lead should have aborted his rotation once A1 began his drive.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Unrelated to the call, the Lead should have aborted his rotation once A1 began his drive.
I agree.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I am SO glad that this is getting called like this now. It hasn't been long since this was almost universally called a block despite the defender meeting all the requirements spelled out in the LGP rule. It is good that the "he wasn't set" mentality is almost completely gone.
Amen. I work with too many officials who would call this a block but it’s getting better.

When John Adams was the national coordinator he pushed for more blocks to be called which probably led to that mentality.

JD Collins, on the other hand, has pushed penalizing offense-initiated contact on legal defenders. That is the way it should be.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Would anyone have gone with a no-call here? That was my initial gut feeling. Certainly not a block, but I don’t think there’s clear advantage gained by the ball handler. I’m seeing more step-back here than leverage.

Corollary: In football, would this be enough for offensive pass interference? Probably not.

Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Academy Award For Best Actor Goes To ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Would anyone have gone with a no-call here ...I don’t think there’s clear advantage gained by the ball handler. I’m seeing more step-back here than leverage.
I was thinking the same thing myself, but I'm a high school official not familiar with what is deemed an advantage or a disadvantage in college games.

If this occurred in my high school game, it would be a tough call either way, player control, or incidental, because I'm not sure how much embellishment Red #11 added to the situation in an effort to get an Academy Award nomination.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Would anyone have gone with a no-call here? That was my initial gut feeling. Certainly not a block, but I don’t think there’s clear advantage gained by the ball handler. I’m seeing more step-back here than leverage.

Corollary: In football, would this be enough for offensive pass interference? Probably not.
I think this was the proper call. For one it caused the ability to get an uncontested shot. So yes I think this needs to be called.

And as a football official, if your push causes that kind of separation, I am calling OPI. The contact was material and gave an advantage to make the play that was attempted. I like the call in either sport.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 04:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I don't think you can no-call this with that much use of the arm by the offensive player. He initiates the contact by putting his arm up, and then he extends his arm to create separation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Extended Arm Bar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I don't think you can no-call this with that much use of the arm by the offensive player. He initiates the contact by putting his arm up, and then he extends his arm to create separation.
Good points.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 04, 2021, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

digest the entire action

1. I can see the dribbler's arm raised but is was "within his cylinder" when he came to a pull up motion stopping motion; however, I did not observe any 'extension' of said arm into the torso of defender. Couple these observations with the embellishment/faking of the defender being thrown off balance faking action--in summary I have 'nothing' here. Given the seniority and experience level of the writers on this forum I would hasten to say that all of you have seen this type of play in your officiating history. Play on players!

2. I can understand the chagrin of folks who want to see a PC here, but I have nothing here at the high school level of reffing a game--albeit NCAA and NBA may interps may yield a varying adjudication.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2021, 11:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

That Is The Question (William Shakespeare) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
... I did not observe any 'extension' of said arm into the torso of defender ...
Look again, fifteen seconds in, and twenty-six seconds in (both are endline views).

He extends his arm bar.

While there definitely is "extension", the question is is there enough "extension" to create an illegal advantage?

Old Mon Jan 04, 2021, 12:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
1. I can see the dribbler's arm raised but is was "within his cylinder" when he came to a pull up motion stopping motion; however, I did not observe any 'extension' of said arm into the torso of defender. Couple these observations with the embellishment/faking of the defender being thrown off balance faking action--in summary I have 'nothing' here. Given the seniority and experience level of the writers on this forum I would hasten to say that all of you have seen this type of play in your officiating history. Play on players!

2. I can understand the chagrin of folks who want to see a PC here, but I have nothing here at the high school level of reffing a game--albeit NCAA and NBA may interps may yield a varying adjudication.
I don't want to see anything. I just look at video and describe what I see. I have an offensive foul in my high school and NCAA games, and have made this call at both levels.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2021, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I am calling this at every level I work. High school and college.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 04, 2021, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I am calling this at every level I work. High school and below.