The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not a good look for all concerned (officials, coaches, players, fans, assigner, local association).

We should try to keep the bickering in the locker room (if there absolutely must be bickering).

Note: My local association did once have an actual fist fight break out at our end of the year banquet. Combatants had to be physically restrained. And yes, there was an open bar for the entire night.
Never said I was bickering. Giving him a chance to back off his mistake or else he digs his own grave and I'm not taking the fall for him.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 07:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Professional ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
"Are you sure you want to dig your own grave?" Loud enough for the offended coach to hear.
Quote:
Not a good look for all concerned (officials, coaches, players, fans, assigner, local association). We should try to keep the bickering in the locker room ...
Quote:
Never said I was bickering.
Your'e right, sorry I misinterpreted you.

We should try to keep opposing viewpoints, especially strong opposing viewpoints at critical times in the game, professionally handled out of earshot of both coaches, as well as players, and fans; or in the locker room. Don't throw your partner under the bus in front of an audience, wait until after the game and do it professionally in the locker room, and then do it again in a professionally mannered phone call to your assigner before anybody else can call him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kinda reminds me of the video a couple years ago posted to this forum where the one of the officials stepped over the other official administering a throw-in to call a 5-second violation. Sorry, but I am not allowing that in my game.

Quote:
Nice reference. An oldie but goodie. It would be nice if somebody could find this for the new guys.
Rich knows where that video is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 08, 2021, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Rich knows where that video is.

\
Although, he'd rather not know.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2021, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

This official had 10 years in two different states. He doesn't really listen to anyone and looks for chances to confront coaches and try to convince them all he is right.

She only made 1 of 2 and OT was averted. Its a rare situation and his partner wanted to know from you guys if there was an by the book option.

It sounds like no. You can only hope to intercept him and convince him that the big boss is going to continue to hurt his schedule if he does this $%>! again.

Thanks for the help again..
Old Fri Jan 08, 2021, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
This official had 10 years in two different states. He doesn't really listen to anyone and looks for chances to confront coaches and try to convince them all he is right.

She only made 1 of 2 and OT was averted. Its a rare situation and his partner wanted to know from you guys if there was an by the book option.

It sounds like no. You can only hope to intercept him and convince him that the big boss is going to continue to hurt his schedule if he does this $%>! again.

Thanks for the help again..
I wouldn't even mention the assigner to him. What good is it going to do if he's not receptive to criticism?

I would call the assigner and ask not to work with him again. Enough officials do that, and your assigner will have a choice to make.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2021, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

"I would call the assigner and ask not to work with him again. Enough officials do that, and your assigner will have a choice to make."

Agreed. I would definitely call my assigner on the way home. I'm certain that the assigner would then follow up, possibly contacting the coach. If enough officials block the guy and enough coaches complain about the guy, he might find himself next season with a full schedule--of 8th grade games!
Old Fri Jan 08, 2021, 11:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Somebody's Gotta Do It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... he might find himself next season with a full schedule of 8th grade games!
Hey. I like my middle school schedule. It's all I can do (voluntarily by my choice) with arthritis and a torn meniscus (thank God that they only shoot horses in my condition). It's better than sitting at home watching Oprah, Dr. Phil, Judge Judy, People's Court, The Bold and the Beautiful, Days of Our Lives, General Hospital, and The Young and the Restless on the "boob tube" in the late afternoon.

All games are in my town or in towns bordering mine. No game to observe before or after my game. Show up in uniform. Get to work with young guys and gals on their way up the ladder (I know many of them because I'm on my board's mechanics training committee). Most middle school coaches appreciate (only one technical foul last season, only one the season before) having a veteran varsity official work their game after the usual parade of rookies, many of whom seldom last two or three years. I'm home in time for dinner. All of this and $64.93 in my pocket.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 08, 2021 at 12:13pm.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2021, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"I would call the assigner and ask not to work with him again. Enough officials do that, and your assigner will have a choice to make."

Agreed. I would definitely call my assigner on the way home. I'm certain that the assigner would then follow up, possibly contacting the coach. If enough officials block the guy and enough coaches complain about the guy, he might find himself next season with a full schedule--of 8th grade games!
Even the 8th grade girls deserve better. Just get rid of him.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2021, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Got The Overtime Blues ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
The disaster being the possible overtime period that may occur.
Do officials all over the world pretend that they hate overtimes?

Or is it just here in my little corner of Connecticut?

Really? Don't we all love the excitement and pressure of an overtime game?

It's was very common, almost mandatory, for varsity officials here in my little corner of Connecticut (in the past when varsity officials use to rate junior varsity officials) to "yank the chain" of junior varsity officials after a one point non-overtime junior varsity game by saying, "Good thing you guys didn't go to overtime, it would have cost both of you a rating point".

As if starting the varsity game on time is more important that the outcome of the preceding junior varsity game.

So we all get home ten minutes late and miss the beginning of Murder, She Wrote. I think that Angela Lansbury can solve the murder without us.

As if officials are supposed to control the outcome of a game.

It's funny. Most, if not all, of us probably don't really mean it. But it's still not a good look for officials.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 08, 2021 at 03:22pm.