The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2021, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Options

GV game. 2 man. Visitors are down 2 points drop it into the low block. L is 2 feet away looking between Defender and post player. Partner barely steps into the frontcourt. Post player turns goes straight up and shoots. Defender jumps straight up. 6 inches between the two no foul girl misses. Trail calls phantom foul from mid-court.

Is it possible to do a partner conference and tell him to report an inadvertent whistle and go AP?

Or are you putting a girl on the line to possible go OT. Yeah this was 4th quarter with 2 seconds on the clock when the shooter shoots.

Thanks in advance,
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

You can have a quick partner conference, but it’s ultimate up to your partner to change his call to an IW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

If he agrees to not report you could conference both coaches explain the IW and explain what you are doing next and by rule you could avoid disaster.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
If he agrees to not report you could conference both coaches explain the IW and explain what you are doing next and by rule you could avoid disaster.

The disaster being the possible overtime period that may occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I would tell the Trail "There was no contact and no foul, we're going with an inadvertent whistle and the arrow." I wouldn't even let him get a word in before I'm hitting my whistle with my thumbs up.

I dare him to call the assigner.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Rule 2-6: "No official has the authority to set aside or question decisions made by the other official(s) within the limits of their respective outlined duties."

Setting aside the T's poor positioning and lack of hustle, let me play devil's advocate: how do you (the L) know you are right (no contact) and he is wrong ("I had a good angle and I saw contact")?

My approach might be something like this: "I had a good angle, close to the play, and I had a clean play. What did you see from mid-court/30 feet away?" You might have to live with his call and let him go or stay table-side, then block him on Arbiter.

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Jan 07, 2021 at 09:36am.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Rule 2-6: "No official has the authority to set aside or question decisions made by the other official(s) within the limits of their respective outlined duties."

Setting aside the T's poor positioning and lack of hustle, let me play devil's advocate: how do you (the L) know you are right (no contact) and he is wrong ("I had a good angle and I saw contact")?

My approach might be something like this: "I had a good angle, close to the play, and I had a clean play. What did you see from mid-court/30 feet away?" You might have to live with his call and let him go or stay table-side, then block him on Arbiter.
In the OP you said there was "six inches between the two," implying there was zero contact. By rule if there is no contact there cannot be a foul. If there's any contact whatsoever, then let him live and die with it. But I'm not letting some career first-year official decide the game with his laziness and idiotic play-calling. And as much as we try and say "we should officiate the same way the entire game," the reality is that an incorrect call at the end of the game is exponentially more consequential than one in the first quarter.

Kinda reminds me of the video a couple years ago posted to this forum where the one of the officials stepped over the other official administering a throw-in to call a 5-second violation. Sorry, but I am not allowing that in my game.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 01:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Be Late, Be Right, Be Needed ...

Quote:
Rule 2-6: "No official has the authority to set aside or question decisions made by the other official(s) within the limits of their respective outlined duties." Setting aside the T's poor positioning and lack of hustle, let me play devil's advocate: how do you (the L) know you are right (no contact) and he is wrong ("I had a good angle and I saw contact")?
For me personally, with a well respected experienced veteran partner, even if it was very late in a very close game, this is not a double whistle situation (travel/foul, held ball/foul, etc.) and there will be no conference on the court (as with offering helpful information on a single whistle out of bounds call). However, there may be a conference ("What did you see?) in the locker room, unless I'm the much lower ranked official and my partner thinks he's God's gift to basketball officiating, in which case there will be no locker room conference.

If the trail was spanking brand new (as new as a dew drop on a leaf at twilight), or the worst official on my board (not the sharpest tool in the shed), especially if it was very late in a close game (as in the original post), I would never overturn his call (see LRZ's Rule 2-6). Rather, I would intercept him and stop him on the way to the reporting area and have a short conference, starting with me saying, "What did you see? Did you get a good look at that?". If he says something like, "Since she missed I figured that there must have been some contact.", I'll respond with, "Well I had a great angle and this is what I saw ...", and offer my partner the chance to change his call (inadvertent whistle), but only if he want to.

On the other hand, if he responds confidently, "The shooter got slapped on the arm from behind.", I'm responding, "Nice call. Thanks for the help" and let him report the foul while I go and line up the rebounders and find the shooter as any good non-calling partner should.

If the trail is the worst official on my board (not the the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree), and the call was in the beginning of the second period (not as in the original post), I'm probably doing nothing other than thinking to myself, "Well, he blew that one. Hopefully it will be his last blown call of the game".

If he's spanking brand new (as new as the dawn), and the call was in the beginning of the second period (not as in the original post), and the rookie official has some potential to be a good official, I probably would, at halftime, or after the game, in the locker room, broach the subject about making calls outside of one's primary coverage area (be late, be right, be needed).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 07, 2021 at 04:30pm.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

An Oldie But Goodie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Kinda reminds me of the video a couple years ago posted to this forum where the one of the officials stepped over the other official administering a throw-in to call a 5-second violation.
Nice reference. An oldie but goodie. It would be nice if somebody could find this for the new guys.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Exponentially More Consequential ...

Quote:
And as much as we try and say "we should officiate the same way the entire game," the reality is that an incorrect call at the end of the game is exponentially more consequential than one in the first quarter...
... because the offended team doesn't have the time to make up and overcome the blown call.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 07, 2021 at 01:29pm.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'll continue to play devil's advocate.

Let's assume that T is a typical "career first-year official." More likely than not, he would probably respond to the L's "thumbs up" by loudly insisting, "I got a foul."

What is Plan B if an argument between the two officials ensues?

Rich, do you ever wish that video would incinerate? Did your partner* suffer any consequences?

*Well, more accurately, not your "partner," but the "other guy."

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Jan 07, 2021 at 05:26pm.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Never Miss A Chance At Getting A Gary Larson The Far Side ...

... comic on the Forum.

Quote:
What is Plan B if an argument between the two officials ensues?

Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll continue to play devil's advocate.

Let's assume that T is a typical "career first-year official." More likely than not, he would probably respond to the L's "thumbs up" by loudly insisting, "I got a foul."
"Are you sure you want to dig your own grave?"

Loud enough for the offended coach to hear. I want him to know I'm on his side for when he inevitably calls the assigner.

I admit I'm probably don't have the best perspective to answer this question. All the career first-year officials in my HS association are doing subvarsity exclusively - and I would turn back the game before working with any of them. And in college games, you simply would not ever have a situation like this.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bad Case of Loving You, Doctor, Doctor (Robert Palmer, 1978) ...

Quote:
And in college games, you simply would not ever have a situation like this.
Don't know much about college officiating, it's probably not relevant, I'm just trying to be funny.

Old Thu Jan 07, 2021, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No I In Team ...

Quote:
"Are you sure you want to dig your own grave?" Loud enough for the offended coach to hear. I want him to know I'm on his side for when he inevitably calls the assigner.
Not a good look for all concerned (officials, coaches, players, fans, assigner, local association).

We should try to keep the bickering in the locker room (if there absolutely must be bickering).

Note: My local association did once have an actual fist fight break out at our end of the year banquet. Combatants had to be physically restrained. And yes, there was an open bar for the entire night.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 07, 2021 at 06:01pm.