The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 06, 2020, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I can one realistic version of this scenario:

A1 chases down an interrupted dribble with the ball now rolling slowly on the floor. Right before B1 gets to the ball, A1 bats it to cause it to roll away from B1, then bats it again to cause it to roll away from B2, then A1 chases the ball down and picks it up.
Somewhere in the rule book there's a statement to the effect of "it is not a dribble when a player bats the ball away from other players."
Old Mon Jan 06, 2020, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Batman ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Somewhere in the rule book there's a statement to the effect of "it is not a dribble when a player bats the ball away from other players."
Closest I could find:

4.15 COMMENT: It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions. It is a dribble when a player stands still and bounces the ball. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 07, 2020, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Closest I could find:

4.15 COMMENT: It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions. It is a dribble when a player stands still and bounces the ball. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.
That's the one. Does it apply to the OP or to any of the other versions in the thread?
Old Tue Jan 07, 2020, 09:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Close Enough ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Does it apply to the OP or to any of the other versions in the thread?
I believe it does, if not, close enough.

A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 07, 2020, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nothing Illegal Here ...

Quote:
A1 chases down an interrupted dribble with the ball now rolling slowly on the floor. Right before B1 gets to the ball, A1 bats it to cause it to roll away from B1, then bats it again to cause it to roll away from B2, then A1 chases the ball down and picks it up.
A very realistic situation.

Advantage to one team. Disadvantage to the other.

Nothing illegal here (as long as A1 doesn't start a new dribble).

If it's not illegal, it's legal

Play on.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 07, 2020 at 11:37am.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2020, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

If he batted the ball with a closed fist it is a punch and is illegal. I think as described it was with an open hand so even though the whole place will go bonkers i think we have nothing. These are the tougher calls to make. Like when the dribbler looses control and taps forward a bit and the whole gym is yelling "travel". We have to learn to not make that call. Officials that do either don't know the rules or don't care because if you do make the travel call everyone is happy.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2020, 11:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Punch Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
If he batted the ball with a closed fist it is a punch and is illegal.
If he's in a crowd and there's a possibility of punching someone in the face, definitely call it.

Otherwise, consult you local listings.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post479461

Old Wed Jan 08, 2020, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In my situation (above) there were definitely pushes in a deliberate, controlled manner, and it definitely was an advantage for the ball "handler", as he deliberately put his opponents at a definite disadvantage by pushing the ball away from his defenders.

But with all that, the correct call is still a no call.

In this situation, the ball "handler" is not holding the ball. In this situation, by rule, the ball "handler" is not dribbling the ball. By rule, not a travel. By rule, not an illegal dribble. By rule, nothing illegal.

The coaches and fans can complain until the cows come home (I work a lot of games in rural areas, with John Deere tractors in the school parking lots), the correct call is a no call and play on.

Confucius says, "If it's not illegal, it's legal".
A1 dribbles and then holds the ball, establishing his right foot as the pivot foot. A1 then places the ball on the floor with his right hand never losing contact with the ball. A1 then pushes the ball in a controlled fashion, along the floor for ten feet, taking several full steps, and then picks up the ball. This would be legal based on this thread and everyone's opinion about the rules. This would also be a case whereby a pivot foot could be moved from one spot on the floor to another and there is no traveling violation.

Now, once A1 picks up the ball, could A1 pivot on his left foot? Ruling?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2020, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pivot Feet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
A1 dribbles and then holds the ball, establishing his right foot as the pivot foot. A1 then places the ball on the floor with his right hand never losing contact with the ball. A1 then pushes the ball in a controlled fashion, along the floor for ten feet, taking several full steps, and then picks up the ball. This would be legal based on this thread and everyone's opinion about the rules. This would also be a case whereby a pivot foot could be moved from one spot on the floor to another and there is no traveling violation.
Of course he can, he not holding the ball. He can move his pivot feet all over the court as long as he's not holding the ball.

Quote:
Now, once A1 picks up the ball, could A1 pivot on his left foot? Ruling?
Good question. We all know that a player can always legally pick up a fumble, but what can he do once he picks up the ball? In bucky's example we know that he can't start a new dribble. But can he pivot? There are situations (jump stops) where neither foot can be a pivot foot, but I don't believe that this example is a jump stop, so I would guess that he probably could pivot.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 08, 2020 at 06:59pm.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2020, 07:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

In Bucky's scenario, he has already traveled. Lifted and replanted the pivot foot while in player control.

I'll try to find something to back me up later.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Holding The Ball ...

Quote:
In Bucky's scenario, he has already traveled. Lifted and replanted the pivot foot while in player control.
Travelling doesn't involve player control, it involves holding the ball.

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed
limits while holding the ball.

Quote:
A1 dribbles and then holds the ball, establishing his right foot as the pivot foot. A1 then places the ball on the floor with his right hand never losing contact with the ball. A1 then pushes the ball in a controlled fashion, along the floor for ten feet, taking several full steps, and then picks up the ball.
In bucky's scenario when did the player both hold the ball and move his pivot at the same time?

Quote:
I'll try to find something to back me up later.
With one rare exception, a player must be holding the ball to travel.

Was this is the back of your mind?

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

Or was it this:

After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the
ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

And this:

A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball
unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.

In bucky's case the ball on the floor was not a result of an unintentional accidental fumble, rather it appears to have been a deliberate act.

Not ruling this a fumble creates an interesting option.

Could this be traveling?

Great thread.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 09, 2020 at 01:11pm.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I've never understood why they don't just say that putting the ball on the floor counts as a dribble, even it if doesn't bounce.

Yes it would change the standing up rule, but is that bad? Right now, the referee has to decide if the ball bounced (in which case it was a dribble and legal to stand up) or was "only" placed on the ground (in which case it is travelling to stand up).
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 01:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe On Opposite Day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I've never understood why they don't just say that putting the ball on the floor counts as a dribble, even it if doesn't bounce.
Because they've already said the opposite :

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 09, 2020 at 01:40pm.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

What about this?

A player or a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule.
Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.

Could you use the above statement from the rules book (it is in the beginning) as a justification to call this a travel?
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 02:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Intended, Not Intended ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
What about this?
Everything is about this (intent and purpose), we always need to keep this in the back of our mind.

The question is that when we're confronted with situations (like this) that are not clearly spelled out in the rulebook, how do we decide if the advantage/disadvantage is intended, of not intended, by the rules?

Not only am I not sure if this is legal, or illegal, I'm not even sure if it should be legal, or illegal.