The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Scorekeeper Complaining About Calls

Hey All,

A fellow referee and I were discussing a freshman game that a couple of other officials worked. Apparently, a scorekeeper at the table was complaining about calls and if I recall correctly, giving the scorekeeper a hard time. At this particular gym, there is enough space for both scorekeepers to sit at the table (one on each end).

As I only got this information second hand, I don't have the full details. But from my understanding, the officials addressed the scorekeeper in question to do "his job" and not complain about the officiating.

I wasn't 100% sure if this scorekeeper in question was the designated official scorekeeper by the officials. So I had a question (or two):

1. If this scorekeeper was NOT the designated official scorekeeper, then this person is considered bench personnel correct and potentially subject to a technical foul correct?

2. However, if the scorekeeper was the official scorekeeper would they be considered part of the officiating crew? Would they be subject to a technical or just simply removed from their duties and the other book can be the designated scorekeeper?

Thoughts on this appreciated. I don't recall this happening to me before but wanted to know what I could do based on the actual rules.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

You do not assess technical fouls to table personnel. Even though I don’t think the visiting scorer is “technically” a part of the officiating crew, whacking him/her has no rules basis.

Simply have them removed. If the official (home) scorer is causing the issue, just make the visiting book official.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bye Bye Birdie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
You do not assess technical fouls to table personnel ... whacking him/her has no rules basis. Simply have them removed. If the official (home) scorer is causing the issue, just make the visiting book official.
Agree 100%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 04:12am
This IS My Social Life

This may not work for everybody everytime, but it worked for me two years ago. I heard comments coming from the scorer's table during live play but could not turn around to identify from whom it came. At the next break I told the game site administrator, the AD, that complaints about the calls are being heard from one of the table personnel but I could tell from which. He went over there and stood behind them the remaining time in the half and the problem was solved for the rest of the game.
With the NFHS publishing the point of emphasis on the role of that game site manager, it might well be that we can lean upon this person more to solve the off-court problems that need to be resolved.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2020, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I just don't get those scorers. After 10 years behind the table I put away the pencil to become a sportswriter. But when I was scorekeeping there was one golden rule "Shut up when you're back there." You may not like a call but that's for the coaches you work for to handle if they don't like it. Apparently this person failed scorekeeper 101 lol.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 03:35pm
Administrator

The Scorekeeper (including an Asst. Scorekeeper), the Timekeeper (Game Clock Operator), and the Shot Clock Operator are part of the Officiating Crew, and therefore can be replaced by the Referee at anytime.

I have replaced one Scorekeeper and one Timekeeper during my career.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 05, 2020, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Singular Not Plural ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The Scorekeeper (including an Asst. Scorekeeper), the Timekeeper (Game Clock Operator) ... are part of the Officiating Crew ...
While I agree with Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. in practice (in a real game), I have problems consolidating his definition of the officiating crew with the rule as written.

NFHS 2-1: The game officials shall be a referee and an umpire or a
referee and two umpires who shall be assisted by an official timer and
scorer. The scorer and timer shall be located at the scorer’s and
timer’s table on the side of the court. It is recommended that the official
scorer and timer be seated next to each other.

"Scorer", not "scorers".

I also agree with him (wow, twice in one thread, a new record) that the scorer or timer can be replaced by the referee at anytime, and like him I've done so a few times in forty years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 06, 2020 at 05:52pm.