The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Question

I am looking for feedback on the following two scenarios:
1.) Partner calls foul, on switch you ask for ball and players on whom foul was called throws you the ball hard in anger.
2.) Players on one team constantly express displeasure with calls by both refs by both words and actions.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

The first time someone "throws" the ball at me, depending on how hard they throw it, I will usually warn them not to do that again. If it is an extremely hard throw, I will whack'em right away. Regarding #2, I usually warn first time, but no more.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

1. I would have to take into account a lot of things, was the player angry with himself and didn't realize how hard the ball was thrown. Was the player ticked off at the officials and intentionally threw it hard. How had the game been progressing to that point, did the call fit in to how the rest of the game had been called. Basically, I would take all into account and then make a judgement call, and that's what this situation is. I don't think you can just make it cut and dry yes/no this is/isn't a T, judgement must be used.

2. I won't take the same course of action on verbal abuse to the officials. If a player is verbally abusing officials (especially if it's heard by either other players, coaches or fans) then s/he gets the T. This is a very unsportsmanlike act no matter if the call was good, bad or otherwise. If it goes unregulated early in the game, you'll only cause problems for yourself later in the game.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb stroke 'em... once.

Quote:
Originally posted by wmwhelan
I am looking for feedback on the following two scenarios:
1.) Partner calls foul, on switch you ask for ball and players on whom foul was called throws you the ball hard in anger.
2.) Players on one team constantly express displeasure with calls by both refs by both words and actions.
wm,
I have found it easy to defuse such players by walking up to him, even if the game is waiting on me, and saying something like, "You are way to good an athlete to act like that."
That is their "warning", whether they know it, or not; and I have never had to go back to them with a technical foul.
mick
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Mick
That is terrific psycohology and great game managment. With that kind of approach to dealing with players, you should be a coach

Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 11:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Mick
That is terrific psycohology and great game managment. With that kind of approach to dealing with players, you should be a coach

Thanks, Coach.
Sometimes, I feel like I am already.
mick