The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Washington State ASA has a message board for whoever wants to write. Thought you all might find this interesting to read, and possibly comment on. I am not an umpire, but my daughter has played select softball for 8 years now, and I have played slowpitch for over 25 years myself. I have not been a softball umpire, but just started basketball officiating this past year, and really took offense to some of the comments that were made on this board about poor umpiring. Have a look at it and see what you think! I tried to defend you guys (I'm Rnner35 on there).

http://www.sportsonly.com/boards/2761/
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

One more thing

You need to scroll down when you get there to the subject "Bad umps".
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the typical whining one hears on the field. I like the one guy who keeps talking about having to explain the rules to the umpires. Did it ever dawn on him that maybe his "explanation" is what has the umpires bamboozled, because, like so many coaches "explanations," it is merely another of those myths of the game and not really a rule?!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Heehehe well I actually know that KID...yes he's only 18. He's a great kid, but who knows if he actually knows what is right or wrong in fastpitch. Rules can be interpreted alot of different ways, you just never know how the other person read it.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't read anymore. It's just more whinning from someone that doesn't understand his title is coach and not whinner. As someone who has been on both sides of the lines, I can tell you most coaches don't know how to coach therefore, they complain. They see it in the majors and think that's what they're supposed to do but, what they don't understand is at the major league level, there isn't much more they can teach/coach those players. Not to mention that at the major league level one call can make a difference. Whereas at even most adult leagues, one, two, or more calls will not equal the errors made on the field by the players. So yes, umpires do make mistakes. Some becuase we are human and yes some becuase it's a bad official. The bottom line is if they allow the official (good or bad)to do their job and the coaches, spectators, and parents do their job, I promise everyone will go home after an enjoyable outing.