View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Scorekeeper Complaining About Calls

Hey All,

A fellow referee and I were discussing a freshman game that a couple of other officials worked. Apparently, a scorekeeper at the table was complaining about calls and if I recall correctly, giving the scorekeeper a hard time. At this particular gym, there is enough space for both scorekeepers to sit at the table (one on each end).

As I only got this information second hand, I don't have the full details. But from my understanding, the officials addressed the scorekeeper in question to do "his job" and not complain about the officiating.

I wasn't 100% sure if this scorekeeper in question was the designated official scorekeeper by the officials. So I had a question (or two):

1. If this scorekeeper was NOT the designated official scorekeeper, then this person is considered bench personnel correct and potentially subject to a technical foul correct?

2. However, if the scorekeeper was the official scorekeeper would they be considered part of the officiating crew? Would they be subject to a technical or just simply removed from their duties and the other book can be the designated scorekeeper?

Thoughts on this appreciated. I don't recall this happening to me before but wanted to know what I could do based on the actual rules.