The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Video Requests: Michigan State vs Bradley @ Des Moines

1st half - 15:28

After a made basket by MSU, crew called an F1 on Bradley. Should it have called a Contact Deadball Technical Foul?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2019, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I did not witness this play on TV, but did listen the broadcast of the game on the radio. IIRC, the way the MSU radio broadcast described the play was battling for rebounding position for a shot which was in the air and the MSU player was undercut by the Bradley player. My guess is the officials noted felt this was during the playing action of going for a rebound that ultimately was a made basket. Since the contact was deemed excessive, it was rules an F1.

I did not notice MSU also got hit with an F1 later from what was described as a similar play.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2019, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
1st half - 15:28

After a made basket by MSU, crew called an F1 on Bradley. Should it have called a Contact Deadball Technical Foul?

Peace
Old Fri Mar 22, 2019, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

NCAAW changed the rule so that fouls during the dead ball period immediately following a basket are personal (not technical) fouls -- for situation such as this.

It's either an F1 or a T -- and it looked like the foul happened before the ball declared the net, so F1.

Then again, this might get to whether it's the "contact" or the "whistle" that matters.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2019, 11:02am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think you can call a dead ball contact technical here. I think the ball is in the net and the contact occurred as the ball was entering the basket. It is closer than I first thought, but not quite. I think FF1 was an appropriate call.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 22, 2019, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think you can call a dead ball contact technical here. I think the ball is in the net and the contact occurred as the ball was entering the basket. It is closer than I first thought, but not quite. I think FF1 was an appropriate call.

Peace
I completely agree. What I see is the ball still in the net when the contact occurs which is still a live ball situation. I also completely agree with the officials that this is a Flagrant 1. After having seen the video I think an argument could be made for a flagrant 2 to be called on this. The contact was definitely excessive and was not made in an attempt to make a basketball play. Where I would go FF2 on this is the fact he to throw his hip into the MSU player while he is running through him undercutting him.

As a Michigan fan who does have respect for the MSU program, I am really glad he wasn't hurt considering MSU did lose one of their key reserves to an ankle injury in the BT Title Game Sunday.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I completely agree. What I see is the ball still in the net when the contact occurs which is still a live ball situation. I also completely agree with the officials that this is a Flagrant 1.
What hasn't been addressed is the basket interference by W44? You can argue that he was grabbing the ring to protect himself, but the ball still had not cleared the net when the ring was grabbed. I'd have a hard time calling basket interference due to the foul. But, what rule defends not calling basket interference?
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
What hasn't been addressed is the basket interference by W44? You can argue that he was grabbing the ring to protect himself, but the ball still had not cleared the net when the ring was grabbed. I'd have a hard time calling basket interference due to the foul. But, what rule defends not calling basket interference?
I don't know that there is a specific ruling on the book that says this isn't goaltending except common sense. I think you open up a real can or worms if you call a goaltend on this play in which the reason for the goaltend was the player attempting to catch himself after a flagrant foul by the defense on the play.

If you thought Izzo's reaction to his player was bad during the game, calling a GT on that play might have gotten Izzo an ejection.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 05:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The ball is actually pretty much through the rim. I doubt anyone is going to put their career on the line or their advancement to call a BI for a player that was getting knocked down and the ball shot is practically over if not over. We make judgments all the time and if I have to look so hard that I can tell if the ball is in the net off a player being fouled in that situation, I am probably not going to fall on the sword for that one. That to me is a "gotcha" call not a very good "common sense" one.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 25, 2019, 07:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It cleared the net enough for me.

And it's not something that's reviewable. The way you were describing it as such a blatantly missed call, I was expecting the ball to still be up by the ring when he touched the rim. The ball was at least half way out of the bottom opening of the net.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 25, 2019 at 07:45pm.