The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
No where in the Throw-in Rule will one find the word "intent"
Is it implied in the definition of a throw-in pass: "an attempt to put the ball in play" (or something like that)? If the action was not such an attempt (e.g., it was just giving the ball to the person who was then to make such an attempt), it wouldn't be a throw-in pass and the restrictions wouldn't apply.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 09:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good For Horseshoes, Good For Hand Grenades, Good For Throwin ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is it implied in the definition of a throw-in pass: "an attempt to put the ball in play" (or something like that)? If the action was not such an attempt (e.g., it was just giving the ball to the person who was then to make such an attempt), it wouldn't be a throw-in pass and the restrictions wouldn't apply.
4-42-2 A throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out-of-bounds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 01, 2019 at 09:28am.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
An obvious underhand toss to B2 who is near the end line and walking out of bounds. If B1 did that, I wouldn’t whistle a violation. The intent would be clear to me that the team wants B2 to inbound.
^This

Not even necessarily an underhand toss.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 07:28pm
Administrator

A1 makes a FG. B1 takes the Ball completely OoB and is immediately Guarded by A1; the T starts a Five Second Count when B1 takes his position OoB with the Ball. B2, who is Inbounds starts toward B1 to become the Thrower and B1 tosses him the Ball and B2 catches the Ball while he is still at least three steps Inbounds as proceeds to walk OoB with the Ball. What do you have?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 makes a FG. B1 takes the Ball completely OoB and is immediately Guarded by A1; the T starts a Five Second Count when B1 takes his position OoB with the Ball. B2, who is Inbounds starts toward B1 to become the Thrower and B1 tosses him the Ball and B2 catches the Ball while he is still at least three steps Inbounds as proceeds to walk OoB with the Ball. What do you have?

MTD, Sr.
When B2, with the ball, has moved beyond the limitations of a pivot foot, traveling shall be called.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
When B2, with the ball, has moved beyond the limitations of a pivot foot, traveling shall be called.
This is correct, provided this:

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
An official who prematurely started a five-second count.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 09:27am
AremRed

I passed on a potential violation tonight. Inner city girls team getting throttled by 20 in the second half. No press, girl has ball at disposal OOB after a made basket and I start my count. She hands the ball inbounds to a teammate who she wanted to be the thrower. Teammate with ball inbounds steps OOB and throws in the ball. Winning teams fans went nuts and started yelling how this isn’t 3rd grade anymore, blah blah blah. Technically a violation but I was ok passing on this one. Anything to wind up those fans (notorious for being bad).
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 10:56am
This IS My Social Life

Throw-Initis Interruptis

This happened last night:
Throw-In Foibles
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Video ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This happened last night:
Throw-In Foibles
Nice video Freddy. Thanks.

Perfect for this thread.

Didn't like his signal.

Either pass on the call (topic of this thread), or call a travel.

He didn't pass, not sure what he called?

He had started his count when the first player (barely) got out of bounds, so he ruled ball was at disposal.

Was his count (as Nevadaref stated) premature?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 02, 2019 at 12:58pm.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 02:12pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Didn't like his signal... He didn't pass, not sure what he called?... Was his count premature?
He was somewhat surprised in a momentary lapse of complacency by what occurred during the waning running minutes of a 50-point game. Verbalized, after a late whistle, that it was a traveling violation but didn't signal it. What was going through his mind was, "Hey, that's just about exactly what happened in that thread on the officiating.com forum we've been discussing this past week." You have all that going through your mind at that moment, you'd forget to signal too.
Not sure who the official is...
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 02:57pm
Administrator

Quote:

1) When is the Five Second Count to begin? When the Ball is at the Disposal of the Throwing Team.

2) What is one of the ways for the Ball to be at the Disposal of the Throwing Team? When a Player of the Throwing Team has PC of the Ball and is completely Out-of-Bounds.

3) A1's FGA is successful. B1 takes possession of the Ball and then takes the Ball and positions himself completely Out-of-Bounds behind Team B's Backcourt End Line. When is the Ball at Team B's Disposal? RULING: When B1 positions himself completely Out-of-Bounds behind Team B's Backcourt End Line. Also, see Item (1) above.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 03:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice, But By Rule ???

Quote:
What is one of the ways for the Ball to be at the Disposal of the Throwing Team? When a Player of the Throwing Team has PC of the Ball and is completely Out-of-Bounds.
Like, "When a Player of the Throwing Team has PC of the Ball and is completely Out-of-Bounds", but is this NFHS rule language based, or intent and purpose based?

4-4-7-d: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is: Available to a player after a goal and the official begins the throw-in count.

Also like, "one of the ways", allowing for some odd occurrences (i.e., nobody shows up to make the inbounds pay).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 02, 2019 at 03:15pm.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 03:42pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Like, "When a Player of the Throwing Team has PC of the Ball and is completely Out-of-Bounds", but is this NFHS rule language based, or intent and purpose based?

4-4-7-d: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is: Available to a player after a goal and the official begins the throw-in count.

Also like, "one of the ways", allowing for some odd occurrences (i.e., nobody shows up to make the inbounds pay).

Yes and yes.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can't tell if Nevada is serious? I am going to presume that he is joking. I doubt that Nevada would let B3 then do it, then B4, then B5, then B1 again, etc. for eternity.