The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 10:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Beckoned And/Or Comes Onto The Court ...

3-3-6:A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any
other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be directed
to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team
and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

Above was in 2012-13. In 2014-15 it changed to this:

3-3-6: A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or
any other bench personnel is beckoned and comes onto the court shall be -
directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted
to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the timeout.

Was this announced? If so, I missed the announcement and it cost me a bar bet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 11:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Blast From The Past ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
3-3-6:A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any
other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be directed
to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team
and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

Above was in 2012-13. In 2014-15 it changed to this:

3-3-6: A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or
any other bench personnel is beckoned and comes onto the court shall be -
directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted
to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the timeout.
A minor change, and in my opinion, only really relevant on a written exam.

Six years ago, if I were to charge a timeout for a coach to keep a star player in the game, the coach only being beckoned, and not actually coming onto the court, that would be the last game I would work in that gym.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Looking back at all the revisions for those years there is nothing officially written.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A minor change, and in my opinion, only really relevant on a written exam.

Six years ago, if I were to charge a timeout for a coach to keep a star player in the game, the coach only being beckoned, and not actually coming onto the court, that would be the last game I would work in that gym.
Guess I am confused. So, you have an injured player and you beckon the coach. The coach refuses to come? Is that what you are saying? if so, beckon the trainer or any other school official (game management, principal attending, etc.) and yes, I would consider them to be bench personnel as far as this rule. Are you telling me that no one will come attend to the injured player? If that is the case, the coach/school will have far bigger problems than not wanting to burn a TO. Additionally, if a beckoned coach refuses to come, are you really ever going to want to work in that school again? I doubt it.

Also see case 3.3.6 Sit B

Last edited by bucky; Mon Jan 28, 2019 at 08:34pm.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 08:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Six Years Ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Guess I am confused. So, you have an injured player and you beckon the coach. The coach refuses to come?
Official overestimates the injury in the name of safety, stops game and beckons coach. Kid immediately gets up, says "I'm good", and coach decides to stay on the bench. Think of it as a question on a written exam, from an exam six years ago.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 29, 2019 at 01:40pm.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And ...

Quote:
Official overestimates the injury in the name of safety, stops game and beckons coach. Kid immediately gets up, says "I'm good", and coach decides to stay on the bench. Think of it as a question on a written exam, from an exam six years ago.
The and/or no longer applies in the rule, but the wording in the caseplay wasn't changed.

3.3.6 SITUATION B: A1 appears to be injured and an official properly halts play and the Team A coach rushes onto the court to check A1. However, A1 is OK and seems ready to play within a few seconds. RULING: A1 must be removed as the coach came onto the court. A1 may remain in the game if the coach does not come on the court and A1 is ready to play immediately. If the coach or other bench personnel have come onto the court, the player must be replaced. There is no set amount of time as to what is “immediately,” but it should not involve more than a few seconds and it must be without the coach, athletic trainer or doctor being beckoned and/or entering the court. The coach may also request a time-out to keep the player in the game provided the replacement interval for the substitution has not begun. (10-4-2)

Stupid NFHS.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 29, 2019 at 04:37pm.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

BillyMac Is A Cheap Bastard ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Looking back at all the revisions for those years there is nothing officially written.
Thanks. No big deal, the bar bet was for our annual banquet, with an open bar.

Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Guess I am confused. So, you have an injured player and you beckon the coach. The coach refuses to come? Is that what you are saying? if so, beckon the trainer or any other school official (game management, principal attending, etc.) and yes, I would consider them to be bench personnel as far as this rule. Are you telling me that no one will come attend to the injured player? If that is the case, the coach/school will have far bigger problems than not wanting to burn a TO. Additionally, if a beckoned coach refuses to come, are you really ever going to want to work in that school again? I doubt it.

Also see case 3.3.6 Sit B
Try this one. (Though it may not happen to those of you who don't officiate games where country music is a part of warmup.)

A1 gets trucked on a loose ball play. Officials blow whistle to check player.

Player is curled up on floor. Coach A says "He'll be alright."

Player doesn't get up and officials beckon coach A.

Coach A stands on sideline says "Get up Rudy you are alright."

Parent from the stands (we can only assume is family member): "Rudy if you do not get up right now you will be sorry."

A1 (Rudy) pulls himself to his feet like Rocky on a 9 count and wobbles towards official mumbling I'm good.

Ahh poor Rudy, great teammate though . . .

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 03:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank God I'm A Country Boy (John Denver, 1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Though it may not happen to those of you who don't officiate games where country music is a part of warmup.

John Deere tractors take up the best spaces in the parking lot? Fans with John Deere caps spit tobacco into paper cups?

Been there, done that for the first, but not for the second.

Now sit right back and enjoy some foot tapping classic John Denver:

https://youtu.be/8Gx97BH5kKo

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 29, 2019 at 04:40pm.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 04:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

I have had quite a few occasions where I've looked at the coach to come on the court for an injured player and the coach just stood there.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Preventive Officiating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have had quite a few occasions where I've looked at the coach to come on the court for an injured player and the coach just stood there.
Been there, looked at that.

When I cautiously stop a game to check on a player and immediately see that he's alright and will be immediately ready to continue playing, I will give the coach a stop sign and say, "He's alright to play". Keeps me from having to explain why I could charge him with timeout to keep his player in the game, or sit his player for a tick. Also keeps me from having to explain why I stopped the game if the player wasn't really hurt.

I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television. As an official I would just rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 29, 2019 at 05:53pm.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you be automatically charging a coach the TO to keep a player in? You let them make the decision to take the TO or have the player sit a tick. Off the top of my head there is only has one situation where a TO is forced on the coach
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 05:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Or Three Choices ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Why would you be automatically charging a coach the TO to keep a player in? You let them make the decision to take the TO or have the player sit a tick.
Not automatic, but if he comes out onto the court, it reduces the choices from three choices to two choices.

Official stops game for possible injury, or real injury:
1) Coach enters court, must take a timeout to keep the player in the game. Play on from point of interruption.
2) Coach enters court, coach removes the player and substitutes. Play on from point of interruption.
3) Coach doesn’t enter court and player is ready to immediately play. No timeout needed. No substitute needed. Play on from point of interruption.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 29, 2019 at 06:00pm.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This sounds to me as if the official made the mistake in their overestimation. I am not going to penalize the coach/player in this case if the mistake was mine. Especially when you use the words "..immediately gets up.." Ref seems to have been waaaay overzealous in beckoning anyone.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity

Had a girls VAR game jus last night and “Star” player went down in her front court as defensive team rebounds and fast breaks up Court..she stays down as I was the “L” now “T” I stayed with her while she grabbed her leg and I looked down court to wait for 1 a held ball by offensive team,2 a rebound by her team 3 dead ball and I soon as I seen her team grab rebound I blew whistle. Ok my question is just then she popped up “her team” with position and I’m holding my hand open as STOP to coach and I ask her if she is ok and she replied yes. I let her stay in game ,was I wrong to do so ?