The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

If I didn't know the guy, who did this, it might be funny, but it is actually quite pathetic, and speaks volumes about the individual.
Thank god, I wasn't involved in this game; just heard about it from someone who witnessed it:
The guy (acting as Ref) issued 5 technicals when all 5 subs ran onto the court, immediately following the horn. I might add that this was 7th grade girls game. No lie; he issued 5 technicals..........
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 08:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Been Dare
The guy (acting as Ref) issued 5 technicals when all 5 subs ran onto the court, immediately following the horn. I might add that this was 7th grade girls game. No lie; he issued 5 technicals..........
Been Dare,
I believe that is very possible.
A new/untrained official has so many rules running through his mind, but retains only part of most of the rules.

Cases --> The new/untrained official uses them when he thinks of a question and hopes there is clarification ... somewhere.

Spirit and intent --> The new/untrained official hasn't even found that page.

Learning from Experience --> The new/untrained official needs more game time, game situations, and game management challenges so that he can remember that he *Been Dare* and that he will never do "that" again.

mick
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Been Dare,
I believe that is very possible.
A new/untrained official has so many rules running through his mind, but retains only part of most of the rules.

Cases --> The new/untrained official uses them when he thinks of a question and hopes there is clarification ... somewhere.

Spirit and intent --> The new/untrained official hasn't even found that page.

Learning from Experience --> The new/untrained official needs more game time, game situations, and game management challenges so that he can remember that he *Been Dare* and that he will never do "that" again.

mick
mick --

AMEN!! The hardest part of the training process for me has been learning what the unwritten interpretation of the rulebooks is. If a person really learns the rules from the book only, there are some things that will be totally off the wall, since no one ever does it that way. And there are a number of situations where the official interpretation appears in several different places in the rule book and case book, so that it's very, very difficult to see the whole picture. How the heck is someone supposed to know in their first few years what to do?

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

This guy could start by opening THE book

This wasn't just a state of confusion. This was a case of I AM GOD; this is my court, and I alone know the rules of this game.
Believe me; you'd just have to know this guy.........
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: This guy could start by opening THE book

Quote:
This wasn't just a state of confusion. This was a case of I AM GOD; this is my court, and I alone know the rules of this game.
I would hope that he either received a good talking to or was dropped from the roster of referees. Unless this guy is from Mars there is no excuse for his actions.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: This guy could start by opening THE book

Quote:
Okay, I know guys (and a gal or two) like this, too. If you posted this because you'd been his partner in this game, I'd understand. Since this is a third hand report to this board, I'm not sure I get your point.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Can you say "Teaching Opportunity"?

Talk about blowing a chance to do some good........
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game last night and a simular situation. Freshman boys. I blow the whistle for a foul, while going over to report it (we'll be shooting 2 FT) red coach sends a sub to the table. The kid taps the table and runs onto the court and the kid he is replacing runs off. Had to get the sub off the court, get the other kid back onto the court, report the foul then continue with the game. Shot the Ft's, got the subs in. The kid who was trying to sub was giving me the "what did I do wrong" look. Luckily, red's coach was explaning to him how to sub in and out. No malicious intent here, just excited kids. This entire game could have been chalked up to teaching opportunity.