The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
Had a girls VAR game jus last night and “Star” player went down in her front court as defensive team rebounds and fast breaks up Court..she stays down as I was the “L” now “T” I stayed with her while she grabbed her leg and I looked down court to wait for 1 a held ball by offensive team,2 a rebound by her team 3 dead ball and I soon as I seen her team grab rebound I blew whistle. Ok my question is just then she popped up “her team” with position and I’m holding my hand open as STOP to coach and I ask her if she is ok and she replied yes. I let her stay in game ,was I wrong to do so ?
I see nothing wrong with how you did it.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Team Control ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
Had a girls VAR game jus last night and “Star” player went down in her front court as defensive team rebounds and fast breaks up Court..she stays down as I was the “L” now “T” I stayed with her while she grabbed her leg and I looked down court to wait for 1 a held ball by offensive team,2 a rebound by her team 3 dead ball and I soon as I seen her team grab rebound I blew whistle.
We've been told (as recently as Sunday's meeting) to sound our whistle on the shot (no team control), the ball either goes in and we later go to run the endline, or we go to the alternating possession arrow. No chance for a rebound.

No rule reference, or casebook reference, just a local thing. Not sure how I feel about this. I need to give it more thought. Maybe a good topic for discussion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We've been told (as recently as Sunday's meeting) to sound our whistle on the shot (no team control), the ball either goes in and we later go to run the endline, or we go to the alternating possession arrow. No chance for a rebound.

No rule reference, or casebook reference, just a local thing. Not sure how I feel about this. I need to give it more thought. Maybe a good topic for discussion.
It's not a local thing. It's actually the rule, but gets ignored by most (including me)

Rule: 5-8 ART. 2
Stops play:

a. Because of an injury as in 3-3-6, 3-3-7.

b. To confer with the scorer or timer.

c. Because of unusual delay in getting a dead ball live.

d. For any other situations or any emergency.

NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately stop play.
"

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 30, 2019 at 04:45pm.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dodged A Bullet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's not a local thing. It's actually the rule, but gets ignored by most (including me)

Rule: 5-8 ART. 2
Stops play:
a. Because of an injury as in 3-3-6, 3-3-7.
d. For any other situations or any emergency.
NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately stop play.
"
Wow. Thanks Raymond. It's good thing that I didn't raise my hand and ask a critical question at Sunday's meeting. I would have left with egg on my face.

I no longer need to give it more thought. Thanks to Raymond, it's the correct way to stop play in such situations.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 30, 2019 at 05:18pm.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately stop play. [/I]"
The NCAA (at least W) rule is essentially the same, but it does not contain the underlined part of the note -- would we enforce it the same?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 11:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The NCAA (at least W) rule is essentially the same, but it does not contain the underlined part of the note -- would we enforce it the same?
We don't have that verbiage on the Men's side.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We don't have that verbiage on the Men's side.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
So when would you stop play in the Mattreferee's / BillyMac's playon the men's side?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 09:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So when would you stop play in the Mattreferee's / BillyMac's playon the men's side?
If the offense doesn't attack the basket, if the offense attacks then kicks it back out, after a made basket, after a turnover, or after either team rebounds a missed shot.