The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

coach beckoned

A1 appears to beiinjured and an official properly halts play. Team A coach is beckoned onto the court to attend to the injured player. However, A1 is able to get up on his own without the coach stepping onto the court.

Question ---> Does A1 have to be replaced because the HC was beckoned or does the HC have to come onto the court after being beckoned before the injured player has to be replaced (understanding the TO provisions regarding an injured player)?

Thanks
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 02:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by welref
A1 appears to beiinjured and an official properly halts play. Team A coach is beckoned onto the court to attend to the injured player. However, A1 is able to get up on his own without the coach stepping onto the court.

Question ---> Does A1 have to be replaced because the HC was beckoned or does the HC have to come onto the court after being beckoned before the injured player has to be replaced (understanding the TO provisions regarding an injured player)?
Once the coach is beckoned, the player must be replaced or the team may request a time-out. Don't beckon the coach until you've made up your mind that the player needs to be replaced.

Once I make the decision to beckon the coach; my mind is made up and that player is coming out. If I think there's any chance he might be able to play, I'll ask the player if he can keep playing.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Once the coach is beckoned, the player must be replaced or the team may request a time-out. Don't beckon the coach until you've made up your mind that the player needs to be replaced.

Once I make the decision to beckon the coach; my mind is made up and that player is coming out. If I think there's any chance he might be able to play, I'll ask the player if he can keep playing.
Correct. Rule reference is 3-3-5.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

If the coach is beckoned and doesn't come onto the floor, I am going to play it by ear:
  • because the coach knows his play better than I;
  • because the coach may not have seen me beckon;
  • because I may remove the player, regardless, based on a gut feeling.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
If the coach is beckoned and doesn't come onto the floor, I am going to play it by ear:
  • because the coach knows his play better than I;
  • because the coach may not have seen me beckon;
  • because I may remove the player, regardless, based on a gut feeling.
Agreed. But at this point I'll take the player's word for it over the coaches because the player knows himself even better than the coach, at that moment.

This is why if it looks marginal, I ask the player. 81.7% of the time, they want to keep playing so I'll give the coach the stop sign (they're usually looking at me waiting for a signal) and we put the ball in play.

Let me put it this way. If I ask the player, he says he can't play, I beckon the coach, and the coach tries to refuse to come out and replace his player; too bad. The kid's coming out for a tick, or the coach is going to burn a TO.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 03:11pm.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Related question:

Two teams playing at a tournament, neither of which is the host school. Airborne A1 is fouled on a try and goes down. The host school trainer comes onto the floor (without being beckoned), but just as the trainer arrives, A1 is able to get up and wants to continue.

Do we let A1 remain in the game or make a substitute come in?

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 06:08am.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 09:49pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Related question:

Two teams playing at a tournament, neither of which is the host school. Airborne A1 is fouled on a try and goes down. The host school trainer comes onto the floor (without being beckoned), but just as the trainer arrives, A1 is able to get up and wants to continue.

Do we let A1 remain in the game or make a substitute come in?

Do we let
Yes, "we" [meaning at least me] let A1 remain and thank the Trainer.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Snaqwells]Agreed. But at this point I'll take the player's word for it over the coaches because the player knows himself even better than the coach, at that moment.

I'm not so sure I agree with you on this one. I've seen players with great heart say they could stay in the game but they really shouldn't have. Sometimes you need an adult (assuming the coach acts and thinks like one) opinion rather than the player's.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was specifically referring to when the player says he can't play and the coach says he can. Frankly, if either party says the player is too hurt to play, I'm going with that.

Also, I'm only referring to situations where it's unclear to me how hurt he is without his direct input. If he's writhing in pain on the floor grabbing his knee and screaming for Padgett, he's obviously coming out.

If, however, he's slow getting up after a collision and he's rubbing his head; I'll ask him and go with his answer.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 05:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
If he's writhing in pain on the floor grabbing his knee and screaming for Padgett
That's not so unusual. Many people scream out a deity's name when in pain.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I watch the player briefly. If he doesn't start to get up right away, I say, "do you want your coach?" If he says yes or doesn't answer, I take one more look and then beckon. Once I beckon, he's going out.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
That's not so unusual. Many people scream out a deity's name when in pain.
You misread that. Snaqwell actually meant screaming at Padgett.