The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

It's 3 points

This has been an ongoing dispute, since the NFHS rule speaks only to a ball from being thrown from beyond the 3-point arc. As Billy cites, casebook plays in 5.2.1 are unequivocal that a ball touched by another offensive player outside the 3-point arc or by the defense inside or outside the arc are counted as 3 points if the ball enters the basket. There is no rules requirement that the throw be judged a try or that there was any attempt at a try (as in a pass that deflects off another player.)

This year's IAABO refresher exam had a question on this -- and the answer was that it does count as 3 points. The original answer key said 2 points, but that was changed after a closer look at the case book plays and after consultation with the NFHS rule book editor.

IAABO Refresher Exam Q. 35
A-1 is behind the 3-point line near the top of the free throw semi-circle. A-1 attempts a diagonal pass to a teammate in the corner. B-1 deflects the pass which enters the basket. The official awards Team A three points. Is the official correct?

Answer: Yes 5.2.1, Case Book 5.2.1 Situation C(b)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Which exactly why I was referring to the other two citations.

The other two citations make no mention of toward the basket.

I agree with Camron Rust that the question here is in the intent of the rule when it was changed. We disagree on that aspect.
In Camron's citation, the try has ended because it is short and below the level of the ring. In your citation there is no try, just balls thrown from outside the 3-point arc. I see a difference in the plays, thus a difference in the rulings.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
This has been an ongoing dispute, since the NFHS rule speaks only to a ball from being thrown from beyond the 3-point arc. As Billy cites, casebook plays in 5.2.1 are unequivocal that a ball touched by another offensive player outside the 3-point arc or by the defense inside or outside the arc are counted as 3 points if the ball enters the basket. There is no rules requirement that the throw be judged a try or that there was any attempt at a try (as in a pass that deflects off another player.)

This year's IAABO refresher exam had a question on this -- and the answer was that it does count as 3 points. The original answer key said 2 points, but that was changed after a closer look at the case book plays and after consultation with the NFHS rule book editor.

A-1 is behind the 3-point line near the top of the free throw semi-circle. A-1 attempts a diagonal pass to a teammate in the corner. B-1 deflects the pass which enters the basket. The official awards Team A three points. Is the official correct?

Silly IAABO, wrong again.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Silly IAABO, wrong again.
What part of "after consultation with the NFHS rule book editor" was unclear?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What part of "after consultation with the NFHS rule book editor" was unclear?
Nothing...it is still wrong.

All you have to do is rule all thrown balls as a try and then you get to the citation I made where it is 2 points. Case closed.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Probably won’t get far citing editors. These case plays are not consistent.. If you only look at second one(any thrown ball touched by D inside arc counts 3) then there’s no reason for first one.(below rim level touch by D is 2 points). They are both in case book. We have to try to make them both work...How? If it could possible be..any way shape or form a try then give them 3. If it never could be or is completely over..then it’s a 2.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 06:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Here I Come To Save The Day ...

Quote:
This year's IAABO refresher exam had a question on this -- and the answer was that it does count as 3 points. The original answer key said 2 points, but that was changed after a closer look at the case book plays and after consultation with the NFHS rule book editor. IAABO Refresher Exam Q. 35 A-1 is behind the 3-point line near the top of the free throw semi-circle. A-1 attempts a diagonal pass to a teammate in the corner. B-1 deflects the pass which enters the basket. The official awards Team A three points. Is the official correct? Answer: Yes 5.2.1, Case Book 5.2.1 Situation C(b)
Nice citation BayStateRef, thanks, especially if the answer is indeed not just an IAABO "interpretation" but a NFHS consultation.

While the "interpretation" may be deemed wrong by some highly respected and esteemed Forum members, it's still a valid IAABO/NFHS "interruption", and until changed may be the only "interpretation" we can hang our hats on.

While I now feel better about my opinion, I would still like to see some of the original intent language back from ancient times when the rule was changed.

How about Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. to the rescue?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 24, 2019 at 06:28pm.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 06:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inconsistent ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Probably won’t get far citing editors. These case plays are not consistent ...
Really? The NFHS inconsistent? Please say it ain't so.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice citation BayStateRef, thanks, especially if the answer is indeed not just an IAABO "interpretation" but a NFHS consultation.

While the interpretation may be deemed wrong by some highly respected and esteemed Forum members, it's still a valid IAABO/NFHS interruption, and until changed may be the only interpretation we can hang our hats on.

While I now feel better about my opinion, I would still like to see some of the original intent language back from ancient times when the rule was changed.

How about Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. to the rescue?

It’s not an interpretation. It’s two separate case plays. You’ve put them both up in previous posts. They have to be read together..
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Funk and Wagnalls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
It’s not an interpretation.
Sorry. Fixed it. Forgot to put quotes around all the words. I meant "interpretation" in the Funk and Wagnalls sense, the generic sense, rather then the specific NFHS interpretation sense. Sorry.