The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Throw in after TO

This is a three person Varsity game. Late 2nd half. I am lead table side, Team A scores a 3 and immediately request a time out. Coming out of T/O, I am naturally the new Trail table side. Team A is setting up for full court pressure. I indicate to B1 that she has the right to run the end line. Because of the pressure, I always hand the ball to the player. Just before I hand ball to B1, Coach of team B wants B1 to cross over to the opposite side and asks for me to bounce pass across the lane. Is this procedure ok? Should I have gone opposite table to make this happen? Doing so would make my two partners move, besides, that was not my original position before the timeout. Any feedback and references are greatly appreciated.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
This is a three person Varsity game. Late 2nd half. I am lead table side, Team A scores a 3 and immediately request a time out. Coming out of T/O, I am naturally the new Trail table side. Team A is setting up for full court pressure. I indicate to B1 that she has the right to run the end line. Because of the pressure, I always hand the ball to the player. Just before I hand ball to B1, Coach of team B wants B1 to cross over to the opposite side and asks for me to bounce pass across the lane. Is this procedure ok? Should I have gone opposite table to make this happen? Doing so would make my two partners move, besides, that was not my original position before the timeout. Any feedback and references are greatly appreciated.
I would recommend adjusting your practice of handing the ball every time in this scenario. I always bounce the ball on a sideline or a backcourt endline throw-in, and if you did, then the player can just go over there if that is what the coach wants without forcing the rotation.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:49pm
AremRed

Couple things you can do here:

1. Force girl to start inbound on your side of the basket, just tell her to run across the lane as it only takes a second anyway.

2. Move to the other side of the lane and reposition the crew.

3. Bounce the ball across the lane to where the girl is starting. Not really allowed by strict NFHS mechanics but they use it in the NBA with no problems. Key is to make sure C is back at the FTLE or even lower helping out with the press.

Best option is prob re-positioning the crew to the other side. If they are starting on that side then perhaps they are more likely to throw it to that side, and you probably don't want C covering that all by himself.

However this isn't really a problem as Trail can come across the lane in the back court to help out with the trap, and then come back once the danger is clear.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 02:30am
Do not give a damn!!

I had this come up some nearly 20 years ago. The coach insisted I must put the ball on the side they request and it was immediately after a FT and a substitution. Well, that is not what I did and would have at the time and even now would be confusing. They have the entire end line. If they cannot figure that is not my problem. And no, I am not bouncing the ball across the lane. Not allowed at any level I work and not even allowed to bounce the ball at the high school level I work (state does not allow) and the NCAA level. if they want something else, they better let that be known early and I might move everyone around, but not if we are already set up. We might set up to put us in the best position.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 09:03am
Courageous When Prudent

We are allowed to bounce the ball across the lane in NCAA-Men's.

As for accommodating the throw-in location, I do it. In fact, when I'm the administrating official, I'll often ask the team which side they want to start. To each his own.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 23, 2019 at 09:06am.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 10:53am
Often wrong never n doubt

Had it happen last night. Exact same scenario. Right before partner handed player the ball the moved to other side. He bounced it across. Didn't cause an issue.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Had it happen last night. Exact same scenario. Right before partner handed player the ball the moved to other side. He bounced it across. Didn't cause an issue.
This is what I did, I ended up bouncing it, she wasn't quite all the way across, coach unhappy with me. Next time I'm just going to reposition crew.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
We are allowed to bounce the ball across the lane in NCAA-Men's.

As for accommodating the throw-in location, I do it. In fact, when I'm the administrating official, I'll often ask the team which side they want to start. To each his own.
This is the proper way to handle it. I agree with the above poster.

I’ll add a couple of comments for others reading this thread.
The team is allowed BY RULE to inbound from anywhere behind the end line. The thrower may start in any location desired. There is no rule requiring a particular starting position. It is unfair to make the inbounder start on one side and use part of the 5-seconds to run to another location. In fact, the team may have more than one team member out of bounds at the beginning of such a throw-in. If they opt to do that think about to which player an official would administer the ball!
All of this should be the throwing team’s option. The rules of the game are not written for the convenience of the officials. Move!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 12:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Defensive Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
All of this should be the throwing team’s option. The rules of the game are not written for the convenience of the officials. Move!
That's great for the offensive team, what about the defensive team? During the timeout the defensive coach sticks his head out of the huddle and asks, "Where's the ball?", your partner points to you with the ball, the coach goes back into his huddle and sets up his defense accordingly. After the timeout the offensive team now asks for a different throwin location.

Is that fair to the defensive team?

Mechanics teach us to always stand with the ball at the after timeout throwin location, there's a reason for this mechanic, so that both teams know where the ball will be administered to the inbounder.

We've discussed this before. Can anybody find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Force girl to start inbound on your side of the basket, just tell her to run across the lane as it only takes a second anyway.
My opinion. Officials should stay in the same positions as before the timeout, but it's just my opinion, don't have a rule, or caseplay to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Bounce the ball across the lane to where the girl is starting.
I'm not a big fan of bouncing the ball across the lane, never allowed by IAABO mechanics.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 23, 2019 at 12:47pm.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have to agree with Billy here. I am not a fan of moving at the last minute. If you ask me beforehand to put the ball on one side of the other, at least I can inform my partners. Otherwise, I am staying where we were at the end of the play and before the timeout.

And what if it is seconds? Now I am setting up in a way that I might want to have the Center opposite because the last second shot might be easier to call in that coverage. If I go to the other side, now we have other issues.

Unless there is a mandate or some clarification, I am not going to hand the ball to the other side. Again, rarely asked for in my experience and the one time it was asked of me, the coach wanted us to move right after a FT and substitution. Never heard the request before and never since. Just not what we should be doing IMO.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's great for the offensive team, what about the defensive team? During the timeout the defensive coach sticks his head out of the huddle and asks, "Where's the ball?", your partner points to you with the ball, the coach goes back into his huddle and sets up his defense accordingly. After the timeout the offensive team now asks for a different throwin location.

Is that fair to the defensive team?

Mechanics teach us to always stand with the ball at the after timeout throwin location, there's a reason for this mechanic, so that both teams know where the ball will be administered to the inbounder.

We've discussed this before. Can anybody find it?

My opinion. Officials should stay in the same positions as before the timeout, but it's just my opinion, don't have a rule, or caseplay to back it up.

I'm not a big fan of bouncing the ball across the lane, never allowed by IAABO mechanics.
The answer to the coach should be “along the end line” or “they have the entire end line, coach.”
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stand With The Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The answer to the coach should be “along the end line” or “they have the entire end line, coach.”
Fair point. But both teams deserve to know during the timeout, not after the timeout, where the ball will be handed or bounced in. That's why mechanics dictate that we stand on that spot with the ball.

Once the ball is handed or bounced, the offensive team can go anywhere along the endline that it wants to go.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 07:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Fair point. But both teams deserve to know during the timeout, not after the timeout, where the ball will be handed or bounced in. That's why mechanics dictate that we stand on that spot with the ball.

Once the ball is handed or bounced, the offensive team can go anywhere along the endline that it wants to go.

What spot? The throw-in spot? There is no throw-in spot. The throw-in is from anywhere along the end line. The throw in starts when the ball is handed to the thrower or caught by the thrower if it is bounced. The thrower should be allowed to start the throw-in where he chooses. It is up to the official to get him the ball.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What spot? The throw-in spot? There is no throw-in spot. The throw-in is from anywhere along the end line. The throw in starts when the ball is handed to the thrower or caught by the thrower if it is bounced. The thrower should be allowed to start the throw-in where he chooses. It is up to the official to get him the ball.
Unless your name is Heisenberg, you're going to give them the ball at a spot. If they want to move, they can certainly do so but I don't think you can give them the ball anywhere but a spot.

Just like after an uninterrupted made basket, the ball is where it is. They can't demand to have someone give it to them elsewhere. If I'm handing it to them, they're coming to the side of the basket I'm on. Then, they can make the throw from wherever they wish.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 08:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hits The Spot ...

Quote:
The thrower should be allowed to start the throw-in where he chooses.
Quote:
What spot? The throw-in spot?
I don't have a rule or caseplay contrary to your statement. But in the mechanics manual there is a reason why we stand with the ball at the spot where we will hand or bounce it to the inbounder.

That's the spot I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
They can't demand to have someone give it to them elsewhere. If I'm handing it to them, they're coming to the side of the basket I'm on. Then, they can make the throw from wherever they wish
Agree.

Or, maybe we could run back and forth with the player along the endline and give the ball to them when they ask for it? That will certainly confuse the defense.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 16, 2021 at 12:06pm.