The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 10:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Pane Of Glass ...

Was this a proper boundary plane warning? Did the official use proper procedure and signaling to communicate the warning? On the ensuing throw-in, should the thrower retain the right to move along the endline?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...4cLZAOOFca.mp4

Two choices: This is a proper warning. A warning is not necessary on this play.

My comment: This is a proper warning. Defender Red #3 not only broke the boundary plane, she actually stepped out of bounds. Inbounder retains the right to move along the endline on the ensuing throw-in.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 10:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Have no idea. The official is right there.

The only thing is a sense of urgency by the official would be better. Too causal about this IMO.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Warning, but no need to switch sides for the next throw-in. (others will disagree)
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cool, Calm, And Collected (The Rolling Stones, 1967) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The only thing is a sense of urgency by the official would be better. Too causal about this ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nearest Violation Or Original Spot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Warning, but no need to switch sides for the next throw-in.
I thought about this while watching the video. Inbounder expected the throwin at the original spot (not that she knows the rules, but her behavior caught my attention).

7-5-2-A: Designated out-of-bounds spot throw-in nearest the violation: After any violation, as in 9-2 through 10 and 9-13, the official must place the ball at the disposal of an opponent of the player who committed the violation.

But it's not a designated spot throwin.

7-5-7-B: A throw-in anywhere along the end line after a goal or an awarded goal for basket interference or goaltending by a defensive player, as in 9-12 Penalty 1, the team not credited with the score must make a throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line and the officials must signal such. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus rule is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line.

9-2-10: The opponent(s) of the thrower must not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

9-2-Penalty: The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.

Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Is this a violation?
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule 9 Violations ...

Quote:
Is this a violation?
9-2-10: The opponent(s) of the thrower must not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Yes, sorry -- my mind was on a different thread.

Since they can run the end line, and since the player initially moved toward the "inital" side, I'd just bring it back.

But, your point is why I said "others will disagree."
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Agree To Agree ...

Quote:
Since they can run the end line, and since the player initially moved toward the "initial" side, I'd just bring it back. But, your point is why I said "others will disagree."
I disagreed for a moment, then I did my research, and decided to agree.

9-2-Penalty: The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.

Let's see if other Forum members want to not "always listen to bob" and disagree.

Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reporting Area ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Did the official use proper procedure and signaling to communicate the warning?
By IAABO mechanics, the official should have reported the delay warning from the reporting area.

I have no idea what NFHS mechanics say.

IAABO Mechanics Manual: Reporting Area: All table communication. To enhance communication and to avoid errors and mistakes, the official shall report each foul, time-out, warning, etc., to the scorer from within the designated reporting area.

In a real game, I would take a few steps toward (not necessarily all the way into) the reporting area (to an open area) to report the delay warning. The official in the video barely got off the endline (however, there didn't appear to be lot of fans in the bleachers, making communication with the table easier).

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 12, 2021 at 12:40pm.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 08:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...4cLZAOOFca.mp4

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is a proper warning.

The opponent(s) of the thrower must not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. (9-2-10) In this play, the defender does a good job of staying on the inbounds side of the boundary plane until she jumps and lands on the out-of-bounds side of the plane. (Runtime 0:11) The official correctly assessed a boundary plane warning when the infraction occurs.

It should be noted that this is a warning to the team for delay of game, not the individual player. (4-47-1) After this warning, if any of the four specific delay of game infractions occur during the game, a technical foul will be assessed to the team. (10-2-1c) A delay of game warning is an administrative procedure by an official which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the head coach. (4-47)

In this play, the official announces the warning from the endline. The official should have hustled to the reporting area to report the warning to the official scorer and the head coach. (Manual pages 57, Section H.5)

Furthermore, the throw-in team will retain the privilege of moving along the endline on the ensuing throw-in after the warning has been issued. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus rule is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. (7-5-7b)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a proper warning 68% (including me). A warning is not necessary on this play 32%.

Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 08:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Lost Teachable Moment ...

Quote:
... the throw-in team will retain the privilege of moving along the endline on the ensuing throw-in after the warning has been issued. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus rule is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line ...
Surprised and disappointed that the IAABO International "Gang of Four" didn't address the issue of where to administer the throwin subsequent to the delay plane violation; nearest the violation, or at the original throw-in spot.

This makes for a good discussion because the inbounder appears to want the ball at the original throwin spot but the official moves her to administer at the spot nearest the violation.

She can move wherever she wants along the endline, but the question is where to administer (with IAABO mechanics one is not supposed to bounce the ball across the lane to administer a throwin). We have to hand her, or bounce her, the ball from somewhere (we can't be running along the endline with her).

Quote:
... no need to switch sides for the next throw-in.
Quote:
Reminds me of a earlier Forum discussion we had regarding where to administer a run the endline throwin after a timeout where the inbounder wants the ball at a location that is different from the location before the timeout.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 17, 2021 at 08:37am.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Administer Run Endline After Timeout ...

Quote:
Reminds me of a earlier Forum discussion we had regarding where to administer a run the endline throwin after a timeout where the inbounder wants the ball at a location that is different from the location before the timeout.
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1029140