The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Air Ball Free Throw ...

High school rules.

How many of us sound our whistle for every free throw air ball violation? Or do some us only sound our whistle for air ball free throw violations when there will be rebounders (i.e., not for the first of two, or not for a technical foul free throw as in the video)? If so, why not for every free throw air ball violation (it is a violation)? Not to embarrass the free throw shooter more than he already is? After all, the scorekeeper and everybody else in the gym knows that the airball free throw was definitely unsuccessful so no whistle is needed (although it's probably required).

Another free throw whistle question.

How many of us sound our whistle before a free throw following a timeout (as we do before a throwin following a timeout, or intermission)?

For me, I only whistle air ball free throw violations when there will be rebounders; and I almost never whistle before a free throw following a timeout. Right or wrong, this (both) is what most of us do here in my little corner of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 16, 2021 at 06:55pm.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Another free throw whistle question.

How many of us sound our whistle before a free throw following a timeout (as we do before a throwin following a timeout, or intermission)?

For me, I only whistle air ball free throw violations when there will be rebounders; and I never whistle before a free throw following a timeout. Right or wrong, this (both) is what most of us do here in my little corner of Connecticut.
I sound the whistle each time there are free throws following a timeout, as it isn't different than a throw-in. There may be music playing or other activity occurring and the whistle brings everyone's attention back to the game.

The IAABO manual shows this on pages 91 & 218. The Federation manual doesn't explicitly state this, instead only referring to the succeeding throw-in to resume play.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Throw Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
I sound the whistle each time there are free throws following a timeout, as it isn't different than a throw-in. There may be music playing or other activity occurring and the whistle brings everyone's attention back to the game. The IAABO manual shows this on pages 91 & 218.
Thanks for the citation Mike Goodwin.

I know that we're wrong, I understand the rationale, and we were actually reminded to do this a few years ago by our local interpreter, but old habits die hard.

All of my local guys would sound their whistle if there was music still playing, or if there were cheerleaders still on the court, but most probably not at other times.

Quote:
The Federation manual doesn't explicitly state this, instead only referring to the succeeding throw-in to resume play.
Maybe this why many of my local colleagues, including me, are reluctant to do this.

Older, more experienced officials, like me, on my local board were taught and used NFHS mechanics before switching to IAABO mechanics.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 16, 2021 at 02:36pm.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Older, more experienced officials, like me, on my local board were taught and used NFHS mechanics before switching to IAABO mechanics.
Funnily enough, I was brought up on IAABO mechanics starting in 1985 (also making me old), but I don't distinctly remember sounding the whistle before free throw(s) following a time-out until I "discovered" it in the manual in 2016 or 2017. Older manuals didn't specifically state it before then (though my library is far less complete than that of MTD, Sr.).

Quote:
All of my local guys would sound their whistle if there was music still playing, or if there were cheerleaders still on the court, but most probably not at other times.
Ah, so it isn't quite an 'old dog, new trick' thing!
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

I was an IAABO cadet in 2015, so my first edition of the manual was the 2015-16 one. I believe it had blowing the whistle after a timeout before a free throw in it. Because it is in the IAABO manual, I blow my whistle after a timeout and before a free throw attempt as Lead (because I am the administering official). I also blow the whistle on all airball free throws and free throws that hit the backboard but not the ring if I have responsibility for the free thrower (Trail in a crew of 2, Center in a crew of 3).
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not for a situation like this, I doubt I would blow the whistle. The ball is already dead and the ball was not going to be live on a miss. So no need IMO to blow the whistle for the most part. Nothing wrong if you do, just not a need.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 02:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not IAABO Kosher ...

Quote:
I "discovered" it in the manual in 2016 or 2017 ...
I also "discovered" it accidently, but chose to keep it my secret and ignore it, thinking it was not be be used locally since (we do have some local mechanics that aren't quite IAABO kosher) up until that point it had never been mentioned as a change by our local interpreter, who only mentioned it quite recently, and only in response to a mechanics refresher exam question.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 17, 2021 at 08:53am.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

The whistle prior to administering FTs upon resuming play following a time-out is in the NFHS mechanics.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The whistle prior to administering FTs upon resuming play following a time-out is in the NFHS mechanics.
I've been through the officials manual cover to cover and can't find that reference, Nevada. Where is it?!

Resuming play after a time-out or intermission is at 4.4.4.D.4 (p.56) 5.4.4.D.4 and (p.91) but only refers to a throw-in, not free throws.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dueling Mechanics ...

Quote:
Quote:
... whistle before free throw(s) following a time-out until I "discovered" it in the manual in 2016 or 2017. Older manuals didn't specifically state it before then ...
IAABO switched from NFHS mechanics to IAABO mechanics in 2004-05. So it must have taken about twelve years to change the mechanic to a whistle before a free throw after a timeout.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 16, 2021 at 06:48pm.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2021, 10:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Manual ...

Quote:
... I don't distinctly remember sounding the whistle before free throw(s) following a time-out until I "discovered" it in the manual in 2016 or 2017. Older manuals didn't specifically state it before then ...
Whistle before a free throw after a timeout first appeared in the IAABO mechanics manual in 2011-12, but I do not remember it being publicized: When a timeout is followed by a free throw, sound the whistle prior to administering the free throw.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 17, 2021 at 11:34am.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2021, 11:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

What's It Gonna Be Boy ???

Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Meat Loaf, 1977)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Quote:
I've been through the officials manual cover to cover and can't find that reference ... Resuming play after a time-out or intermission is at 4.4.4.D.4 (p.56) 5.4.4.D.4 and (p.91) but only refers to a throw-in, not free throws.
What's it gonna be boys?

Old Wed Mar 17, 2021, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Meat Loaf, 1977)

What's it gonna be boys?
"Let me sleep on it..." because I'm waiting to see what Nevada comes back with. My search was fruitless.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2021, 03:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bat Out Of Hell ...

Quote:
What's It Gonna Be Boy ??? Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Meat Loaf, 1977)
Quote:
"Let me sleep on it..."
Nice to know we have Forum members who appreciate good music (and baseball Hall of Fame member Phil Rizzuto).

I've actually got this vinyl album.

Young'uns can look up the references on the Google.

Old Wed Mar 17, 2021, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nice to know we have Forum members who appreciate good music (and baseball Hall of Fame member Phil Rizzuto).

I've actually got this vinyl album.

Young'uns can look up the references on the Google.

I can't sing to save my soul, but there was a time I could do Phil Rizzuto's part.