View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 16, 2021, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Throw Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
I sound the whistle each time there are free throws following a timeout, as it isn't different than a throw-in. There may be music playing or other activity occurring and the whistle brings everyone's attention back to the game. The IAABO manual shows this on pages 91 & 218.
Thanks for the citation Mike Goodwin.

I know that we're wrong, I understand the rationale, and we were actually reminded to do this a few years ago by our local interpreter, but old habits die hard.

All of my local guys would sound their whistle if there was music still playing, or if there were cheerleaders still on the court, but most probably not at other times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
The Federation manual doesn't explicitly state this, instead only referring to the succeeding throw-in to resume play.
Maybe this why many of my local colleagues, including me, are reluctant to do this.

Older, more experienced officials, like me, on my local board were taught and used NFHS mechanics before switching to IAABO mechanics.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 16, 2021 at 02:36pm.