The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 11:42am
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,817
Continuous Motion: BillyMac This Thread Is For You, So Que Up Your Memes!

I am a member of Referee Magazine Facebook Group, and from time-to-time articles that have previously appeared in Referee Magazine are published in the FB Group.

One such article was published very early this morning and it was a very well written article regarding Continuous Motion. Naturally, the author talked about how one should not use the phrase: "On the floor!", but that one should use "two shots" or "going up". "Going up!": And naturally I could not resist responding how one should not say: "Going up!"

My comment was short (me give a short comment, ) and sweet. I said that the number of free throws should be used and not "going up". Sure enough my comment solicited a solitary (so far) reply and the one word question: "Why?"

I gave the following example (Billy, get ready to find a meme for me): A1 is shooting a Set Shot () and is fouled before releasing the Ball. A1 is fouled in the Act of Shooting but is not "going up".

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,321
Calvin Coolidge And Will Rogers ...

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

Calvin Coolidge once said, "The things I did not say never hurt me." Of course, he was not talking about basketball, but many officials would be smart to heed his sage advice as they communicate with coaches, and players.

Good communication skills are important tools to have on any official’s tool belt. Good communication with a partner, with a player, or with a coach, can go a long way to maintaining control of the game, having good game management, and having a smooth game. Sometimes this communication takes place in oral form, talking to players, or coaches, in some cases to explain a ruling, or in other cases to prevent a violation, or a foul. However, probably for reasons of tradition, there have been things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules, and should probably not be said in a game. This article will cover some of those “best left unsaid” statements.

"On the floor”, sometimes stated by officials for fouls against players who are not in the act of shooting, is also not rule based. This implies that a player cannot be on the floor, and shooting, at the same time, when in reality the old fashioned set shot, still used by some three point shooters, is a classic example of a player, on the floor, who is also in the act of shooting. Better statement: “No shot”.

Finally, a thought by Will Rogers, “Never miss a good chance to shut up.”

Below is a photo of Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. taken by famous Civil War photographer Mathew B. Brady. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. invented the one hand set shot. Previous to this, players used the two hand set shot. It's true. It's true.

__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 30, 2018 at 12:14pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 12:16pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

Calvin Coolidge once said, "The things I did not say never hurt me." Of course, he was not talking about basketball, but many officials would be smart to heed his sage advice as they communicate with coaches, and players.

Good communication skills are important tools to have on any official’s tool belt. Good communication with a partner, with a player, or with a coach, can go a long way to maintaining control of the game, having good game management, and having a smooth game. Sometimes this communication takes place in oral form, talking to players, or coaches, in some cases to explain a ruling, or in other cases to prevent a violation, or a foul. However, probably for reasons of tradition, there have been things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules, and should probably not be said in a game. This article will cover some of those “best left unsaid” statements.

"On the floor”, sometimes stated by officials for fouls against players who are not in the act of shooting, is also not rule based. This implies that a player cannot be on the floor, and shooting, at the same time, when in reality the old fashioned set shot, still used by some three point shooters, is a classic example of a player, on the floor, who is also in the act of shooting. Better statement: “No shot”.

Finally, a thought by Will Rogers, “Never miss a good chance to shut up.”

Below is a photo of Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. taken by famous Civil War photographer Mathew B. Brady. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. invented the one hand set shot. Previous to this, players used the two hand set shot. It's true. It's true.


Billy:

Thank you for your quick response; I knew I could count on you to come through in my time of need. I loved those Chuck Taylor All Stars I am wearing. Oh how I remember those days, LOL!

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,321
Memetics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Billy, get ready to find a meme for me ...
What's a meme? Is it a button I press on my flip phone.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,321
Short Shorts (The Royal Teens, 1958) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I loved those Chuck Taylor All Stars I am wearing.
And you look great in your short shorts. I hear that they're making a comeback (just don't roll up your waistband).
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 01:21pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And you look great in your short shorts. I hear that they're making a comeback (just don't roll up your waistband).

LOL!

And now for something completely different: Congratulations on your Red Sox winning the World Series and my condolences on Whitey's passing this morning. But has far as the Patriots and their HC are concerned: BOO! HISS!

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Continuous Motion Toren Basketball 12 Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:55am
Continuous Motion WhistlesAndStripes Basketball 14 Thu Nov 10, 2011 05:45pm
Continuous Motion IREFU2 Basketball 23 Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:15am
Continuous motion Paul LeBoutillier Basketball 3 Mon Feb 28, 2005 02:22pm
continuous motion shont Basketball 21 Tue Dec 21, 2004 02:51pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1