The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 05, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Continuous Motion

Does anyone have any good video resources about continuous motion?
Old Sat Nov 05, 2011, 07:18pm
This IS My Social Life

Here's One Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Does anyone have any good video resources about continuous motion?
How to officiate when a player is shooting in basketball | Video « Wonder How To

This link will direct you to a FIBA video on "The Act of Shooting" which includes about 11 minutes of plays to the point. The phraseology isn't NFHS, but it seems the principles expressed and illustrated can be easily applied to the Fed rules for Continuous Motion and Act of Shooting. See what you think. They're also somewhere on YouTube, I think.

Referee magazine this month has an article on the subject, entitled something like "Hoop and Some Harm ('And 1')".

This issue is relevant around here due to the proliferation of the habit of guys calling "On the Floor" when in reality the shooter's motion which precedes his habitual act of shooting had long since started.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2011, 07:20pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
How to officiate when a player is shooting in basketball | Video « Wonder How To

This link will direct you to a FIBA video on "The Act of Shooting" which includes about 11 minutes of plays to the point. The phraseology isn't NFHS, but it seems the principles expressed and illustrated can be easily applied to the Fed rules for Continuous Motion and Act of Shooting. See what you think. They're also somewhere on YouTube, I think.

Referee magazine this month has an article on the subject, entitled something like "Hoop and Some Harm ('And 1')".

This issue is relevant around here due to the proliferation of the habit of guys calling "On the Floor" when in reality the shooter's motion which precedes his habitual act of shooting had long since started.
With that practice, Bob Cousy would never have shot a free throw his entire career.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

whistles&stripes - you've posed a good question about continuous motion! at the HS and NCAA levels, WAY TOO many made baskets are cancelled by officials who do not understand continuous motion.

believe it or not, the continuous motion definition is the same in the NBA as it is in HS and NCAA.....(just tell that to the coach that complains about you scoring the basket for the other team when his defender commits a foul....."hey ref - this isn't the NBA!"...."coach, of course not - but the rule is the same!......").
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

A1 drives to the basket. He begins his motion to shoot. Then he is fouled. Then he travels (possibly as a result of the foul, but maybe not). Then he makes the basket.

What do we have?
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
A1 drives to the basket. He begins his motion to shoot. Then he is fouled. Then he travels (possibly as a result of the foul, but maybe not). Then he makes the basket.

What do we have?
No basket. Two FTs.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post

What do we have?
you have no basket - the violation ended the shot attempt. you then send A1 to the line for 2 FT's as he was fouled in the act of shooting.

same concept, differenct scenario....as the clock is winding down to end the quarter/half, A1 starts his habitual shooting motion/gathers the ball to begin his shot, gets fouled, horn sounds, ball is released, and the ball goes in....what do you have?

shot does NOT count (shot ended when horn sounded prior to release of the ball), A1 gets 2 FT's....
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
you have no basket - the violation ended the shot attempt. you then send A1 to the line for 2 FT's as he was fouled in the act of shooting.

same concept, differenct scenario....as the clock is winding down to end the quarter/half, A1 starts his habitual shooting motion/gathers the ball to begin his shot, gets fouled, horn sounds, ball is released, and the ball goes in....what do you have?

shot does NOT count (shot ended when horn sounded prior to release of the ball), A1 gets 2 FT's....
Unless you have definite knowledge of the time that should be on the clock (when the whistle sounded) and restore that time. In that case, you count the basket and continue with a FT with players on the lane as normal....then time expires.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And It's, "This Ain't The NBA" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The continuous motion definition is the same in the NBA as it is in HS and NCAA, (just tell that to the coach that complains about you scoring the basket for the other team when his defender commits a foul, "hey ref, this isn't the NBA!", "coach, of course not, but the rule is the same!)
Is this really true? Are the NFHS and NBA rules regarding continuous motion exactly the same? I would love to be able to say to coaches, "Coach, of course not, but the rule is the same". Of course, I would say this professionally, and politely, with absolutely no hint of sarcasm.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 07:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Is this really true? Are the NFHS and NBA rules regarding continuous motion exactly the same? I would love to be able to say to coaches, "Coach, of course not, but the rule is the same". Of course, I would say this professionally, and politely, with absolutely no hint of sarcasm.
Yes it is true, they are the same. The problem is official at our level are not awarding foul shots properly by rule so the coaches do not know the real application. The NBA does not have that problem.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 09:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Those FIBA videos are all hosted at vimeo.com. They were uploaded by Basketball Manitoba.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Those videos are great. I watched 3 so far. I need to get my association to show some of them at the meetings.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I have been taught that a shot begins "on the gather". I'm not sure if it technically correct, but it helps on many fouls I have in the post. Another term that I heard from an old NBA official is "afterthought". Does the whistle change the thought of what the player was doing? If it did then we won't shoot the free throws. (On a play that a player was looking to get off a pass)
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Good discussion here. Part of the reason I asked about it was because we had a really good discussion about it at our clinic last weekend.

One of the cases described had a player who has ended his dribble, pivots backward, gets fouled, pivots forward, and then shoots.

THe ruling said he gets 1 FT if he made it, 2 if he missed.