The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Continuous Motion

I had a play last night that I'm very anxious to see on tape. I won't get the tape until tomorrow. Here is how it went.

Two man crew for a boys varsity. I'm the lead and action came straight down the middle. Offensive player shoots and the defensive player in trying to block the shot hits the offensive player in the head. I have a whistle and I stand firm to keep all players in my view to make sure this doesn't escalate. The offensive player kind of rolls around a bit and then seems fine and gets up.

As I start to move to report, my partner is signaling to me to count the basket. Wait, what? He made it? Hmm, somewhere in my periphery I thought I saw the ball bounce off the basket. Okay I trust my partner (sort of). I go to report, I count the basket, report the number etc. I go away from the table and the table beckons me back. I go back to the table and they ask me, "Count the basket?" I say my partner says the basket went in so we are going with that. They look at me and say "we didn't see the basket go in." I said neither did I, but my partner did.

It was a blow out game, so one point didn't make any difference at all, but it left me wondering how I could have handled better. Should I have looked at the shot once I had the foul? Or should I have stayed with shooter, like I did, to make sure this didn't escalate and he was okay?

Thanks
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Should I have looked at the shot once I had the foul? Or should I have stayed with shooter, like I did, to make sure this didn't escalate and he was okay?
Stay with the shooter as you did.

Given your questions, and the questioning by the table, you could ask your partner for confirmation.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

What does this have to do with continuous motion?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
What does this have to do with continuous motion?
Not much, but it got your attention

Honestly, I just couldn't think of a title
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Multi-tasking

Quote:
Should I have looked at the shot once I had the foul? Or should I have stayed with shooter, like I did, to make sure this didn't escalate and he was okay?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stay with the shooter as you did.

Given your questions, and the questioning by the table, you could ask your partner for confirmation.
Besides sneaking a peek while observing the shooter, ^^ that would've been the only other thing you could've done better. Whenever there is conflicting info from the table crew & floor officials I take an extra moment to get it right.

I had a similar situation but it was 3 person, my partner (L & R) told me to count the basket. I didnt think it went in (C) but hey, I trust my partner. The T came in & said no it went in on a tip by another player. After watching the film, it never went in at all, just as I originally thought.
I began sneaking peeks ever since then.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I do what bob says. I think I asked my P once and he admitted he wasn't sure. The table described exactly what happened to the ball. So I went their assessment and awarded 2 shots with no basket.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Conclusion

So I viewed the game film. Not sure what my partner was looking at but the ball didn't even hit the rim, it skimmed off the backboard fairly hard and never had a shot.

Good part is I make him signal 4 or 5 times that the shot went, so you see his hand moving as in a "count it" fashion. I also close down and you can see me asking him and he again makes his motion.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I viewed the game film. Not sure what my partner was looking at but the ball didn't even hit the rim, it skimmed off the backboard fairly hard and never had a shot.

Good part is I make him signal 4 or 5 times that the shot went, so you see his hand moving as in a "count it" fashion. I also close down and you can see me asking him and he again makes his motion.
Did you burn him a copy
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:17am
Back from the DL

Whereas the table is on "our" team, we should only consider thoughts from the official scorer and timekeeper, right? If the visiting scorekeeper has a conflicting viewpoint, then I'd smell a rat, but we can't consider his/her thoughts on the matter, I assume.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

How do you

get copies of video of games you do? We don't even get evals here in KS...
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Ask the school(s).
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper33 View Post
get copies of video of games you do? We don't even get evals here in KS...
Are you secretly Yoda?

This was the first time EVER that a coach actually provided it to me. To make it easy for a coach, you may want to ask before the game, two or three days, provide a dvd with a self addressed stamped envelope. Then all the coach has to do is burn a copy and stuff it, put it in the mailbox.

Sometimes it still doesn't work, but any film is better than no film.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To make it easy for a coach, you may want to ask before the game, two or three days, provide a dvd with a self addressed stamped envelope. Then all the coach has to do is burn a copy and stuff it, put it in the mailbox.
And if that doesnt work you can always bring your own camera crew.

Personally, I'm only getting 25% of my HS games on DVD & many times 2-3 weeks later, after I've worked many other games. We get the most out of film breakdown by doing it within 48 hours.

I'm STILL waiting on a game from week 1 that ended with an unsuccessful 3 point try at the buzzer & also incuded 2 no-calls on trainwrecks :-(
I did everything Toren stated & oh yeah, the home team won.
If you want something done right...

Last edited by tref; Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 10:59am.