The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Continuous Motion: BillyMac This Thread Is For You, So Que Up Your Memes! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104107-continuous-motion-billymac-thread-you-so-que-up-your-memes.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:42am

Continuous Motion: BillyMac This Thread Is For You, So Que Up Your Memes!

I am a member of Referee Magazine Facebook Group, and from time-to-time articles that have previously appeared in Referee Magazine are published in the FB Group.

One such article was published very early this morning and it was a very well written article regarding Continuous Motion. Naturally, the author talked about how one should not use the phrase: "On the floor!", but that one should use "two shots" or "going up". "Going up!": :eek: And naturally I could not resist responding how one should not say: "Going up!"

My comment was short (me give a short comment, :p) and sweet. I said that the number of free throws should be used and not "going up". Sure enough my comment solicited a solitary (so far) reply and the one word question: "Why?"

I gave the following example (Billy, get ready to find a meme for me): A1 is shooting a Set Shot (:p) and is fouled before releasing the Ball. A1 is fouled in the Act of Shooting but is not "going up".

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03pm

Calvin Coolidge And Will Rogers ...

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

Calvin Coolidge once said, "The things I did not say never hurt me." Of course, he was not talking about basketball, but many officials would be smart to heed his sage advice as they communicate with coaches, and players.

Good communication skills are important tools to have on any official’s tool belt. Good communication with a partner, with a player, or with a coach, can go a long way to maintaining control of the game, having good game management, and having a smooth game. Sometimes this communication takes place in oral form, talking to players, or coaches, in some cases to explain a ruling, or in other cases to prevent a violation, or a foul. However, probably for reasons of tradition, there have been things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules, and should probably not be said in a game. This article will cover some of those “best left unsaid” statements.

"On the floor”, sometimes stated by officials for fouls against players who are not in the act of shooting, is also not rule based. This implies that a player cannot be on the floor, and shooting, at the same time, when in reality the old fashioned set shot, still used by some three point shooters, is a classic example of a player, on the floor, who is also in the act of shooting. Better statement: “No shot”.

Finally, a thought by Will Rogers, “Never miss a good chance to shut up.”

Below is a photo of Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. taken by famous Civil War photographer Mathew B. Brady. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. invented the one hand set shot. Previous to this, players used the two hand set shot. It's true. It's true.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015...leLarge-v2.jpg

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1025557)
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

Calvin Coolidge once said, "The things I did not say never hurt me." Of course, he was not talking about basketball, but many officials would be smart to heed his sage advice as they communicate with coaches, and players.

Good communication skills are important tools to have on any official’s tool belt. Good communication with a partner, with a player, or with a coach, can go a long way to maintaining control of the game, having good game management, and having a smooth game. Sometimes this communication takes place in oral form, talking to players, or coaches, in some cases to explain a ruling, or in other cases to prevent a violation, or a foul. However, probably for reasons of tradition, there have been things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules, and should probably not be said in a game. This article will cover some of those “best left unsaid” statements.

"On the floor”, sometimes stated by officials for fouls against players who are not in the act of shooting, is also not rule based. This implies that a player cannot be on the floor, and shooting, at the same time, when in reality the old fashioned set shot, still used by some three point shooters, is a classic example of a player, on the floor, who is also in the act of shooting. Better statement: “No shot”.

Finally, a thought by Will Rogers, “Never miss a good chance to shut up.”

Below is a photo of Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. taken by famous Civil War photographer Mathew B. Brady. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. invented the one hand set shot. Previous to this, players used the two hand set shot. It's true. It's true.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015...leLarge-v2.jpg

Billy:

Thank you for your quick response; I knew I could count on you to come through in my time of need. I loved those Chuck Taylor All Stars I am wearing. Oh how I remember those days, LOL!

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:17pm

Memetics ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1025555)
Billy, get ready to find a meme for me ...

What's a meme? Is it a button I press on my flip phone.

BillyMac Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:49pm

Short Shorts (The Royal Teens, 1958) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1025559)
I loved those Chuck Taylor All Stars I am wearing.

And you look great in your short shorts. I hear that they're making a comeback (just don't roll up your waistband).

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Oct 30, 2018 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1025564)
And you look great in your short shorts. I hear that they're making a comeback (just don't roll up your waistband).

LOL!

And now for something completely different: Congratulations on your Red Sox winning the World Series and my condolences on Whitey's passing this morning. But has far as the Patriots and their HC are concerned: BOO! HISS!

MTD, Sr.