View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 12:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

Calvin Coolidge once said, "The things I did not say never hurt me." Of course, he was not talking about basketball, but many officials would be smart to heed his sage advice as they communicate with coaches, and players.

Good communication skills are important tools to have on any official’s tool belt. Good communication with a partner, with a player, or with a coach, can go a long way to maintaining control of the game, having good game management, and having a smooth game. Sometimes this communication takes place in oral form, talking to players, or coaches, in some cases to explain a ruling, or in other cases to prevent a violation, or a foul. However, probably for reasons of tradition, there have been things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules, and should probably not be said in a game. This article will cover some of those “best left unsaid” statements.

"On the floor”, sometimes stated by officials for fouls against players who are not in the act of shooting, is also not rule based. This implies that a player cannot be on the floor, and shooting, at the same time, when in reality the old fashioned set shot, still used by some three point shooters, is a classic example of a player, on the floor, who is also in the act of shooting. Better statement: “No shot”.

Finally, a thought by Will Rogers, “Never miss a good chance to shut up.”

Below is a photo of Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. taken by famous Civil War photographer Mathew B. Brady. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. invented the one hand set shot. Previous to this, players used the two hand set shot. It's true. It's true.

Billy:

Thank you for your quick response; I knew I could count on you to come through in my time of need. I loved those Chuck Taylor All Stars I am wearing. Oh how I remember those days, LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio