The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 16, 2018, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

throw in spot?

Saw this play today. Not sure if refs got it right or not.
White makes a basket. Blue gets a run the base line throw in. Blue makes a long pass down the side line. Receiver steps on side line, then (while still OOB), grabs the pass that was still in bounds. Where is white's throw in location? White coach wanted the throw in back to base line, blue coach insisted throw in be where his player stepped OOB's.
Refs brought it back to base line. We're they correct?
Please site rule reference if possible.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2018, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

It's an OOB violation, not a throw-in violation. Throw in at the spot where the player touched the ball while being OOB.

For one year, maybe 10 or more years ago, FED had a mistaken interp that this was a throw-in violation. It was quickly corrected.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2018, 08:25am
This IS My Social Life

Here's that 2007,08 Interp on this:

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)
Old Sat Jun 16, 2018, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keeps Coming Back Like A Determined Mosquito ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
For one year, maybe 10 or more years ago, FED had a mistaken interp that this was a throw-in violation. It was quickly corrected.
I was under the impression that this was much longer than ten years ago, possibly over thirty-five years ago, was much longer lived than a year, and was an actual interpretation of the rule at the time.

At the time, this was a actual throwin violation because the ball was not thrown directly onto the court, rather it was thrown to a teammate, or an opponent, who was standing out of bounds. Of course the more interesting interpretation of this was when the throwin pass touched an opponent who was out of bounds and the opponent now gets the new throwin at the spot of the original throwin. That always caught the coach's attention.

This is what I was taught as a rookie thirty-seven years ago, and I'm guessing that it lasted just a few years, but certainly more than a single year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Where is white's throw in location? White coach wanted the throw in back to base line, blue coach insisted throw in be where his player stepped OOB's. Refs brought it back to base line.
Almost four decades later, this erroneous interpretation still persists. You just can't get rid of it permanently. The erroneous interpretation keeps coming back like a determined mosquito.

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. How about a trip up to your attic to confirm this?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 17, 2018 at 09:55am.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2018, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rearing Its Ugly Head ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
...almost four decades later, this erroneous interpretation still persists. You just can't get rid of it permanently. The erroneous interpretation keeps coming back like a determined mosquito.
One would think that after four decades, with many veteran officials retiring, or dying, and many veteran coaches retiring, or dying, that this old rule and its now erroneous interpretation would ride off into the sunset, never to be seen, or heard from, again. Yet, it still keeps rearing its ugly head here on the Forum, probably about twice each year.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 18, 2018, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

12 years ago

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ere-throw.html

Things do change