Thread: throw in spot?
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 16, 2018, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keeps Coming Back Like A Determined Mosquito ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
For one year, maybe 10 or more years ago, FED had a mistaken interp that this was a throw-in violation. It was quickly corrected.
I was under the impression that this was much longer than ten years ago, possibly over thirty-five years ago, was much longer lived than a year, and was an actual interpretation of the rule at the time.

At the time, this was a actual throwin violation because the ball was not thrown directly onto the court, rather it was thrown to a teammate, or an opponent, who was standing out of bounds. Of course the more interesting interpretation of this was when the throwin pass touched an opponent who was out of bounds and the opponent now gets the new throwin at the spot of the original throwin. That always caught the coach's attention.

This is what I was taught as a rookie thirty-seven years ago, and I'm guessing that it lasted just a few years, but certainly more than a single year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Where is white's throw in location? White coach wanted the throw in back to base line, blue coach insisted throw in be where his player stepped OOB's. Refs brought it back to base line.
Almost four decades later, this erroneous interpretation still persists. You just can't get rid of it permanently. The erroneous interpretation keeps coming back like a determined mosquito.

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. How about a trip up to your attic to confirm this?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 17, 2018 at 09:55am.