The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

In a game last night, A-1 committed a player control foul, just inside the top of the free throw semi-circle. I administered the throw-in on the sideline. After the game my partner said it should have been on the end-line. Who is correct?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Inside the circle, go to the baseline. Outside the circle, go to the sideline.

You always want to get it right, but, in my opinion, it's more important when the offended team is getting the ball under their basket. In your case, you're inbpounding in the BC, so it's not as big a deal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

The Officials' Manual Will Help...

There's an easy-to-understand diagram in the Officials' Manual that clarifies the location of each throw-in based on where the violation occurred.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

You always want to get it right, but, in my opinion, it's more important when the offended team is getting the ball under their basket. In your case, you're inbpounding in the BC, so it's not as big a deal.
Depending on whether or not the opponent is pressing, it can make a difference in backcourt as well. I personally prefer to inbound on the baseline against the press (dont tell my opposing coaches!).
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:32pm
Esteemed Participant

It should have been baseline...however, if that is all your partner had to point out after the game, you had a pretty good game!!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Depending on whether or not the opponent is pressing, it can make a difference in backcourt as well. I personally prefer to inbound on the baseline against the press (dont tell my opposing coaches!).
Oh, it's make a difference. But it's a huge advantage to a team to inbound the ball under their own basket.

At least, that's what a coach told me once.

Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

i think the ball should be put into play at the nearest o.o.b. spot. was it closer to put the ball on the baseline or sidleine? you dont want to punish the d. for a good stop by putting them 15-20 ft back. it is basically a judgement decision, if you think it is closer to the baseline or sideline.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
i think the ball should be put into play at the nearest o.o.b. spot. was it closer to put the ball on the baseline or sidleine? you dont want to punish the d. for a good stop by putting them 15-20 ft back. it is basically a judgement decision, if you think it is closer to the baseline or sideline.
It's not judgement, other than judging where the foul occurred. There's a diagram in the mechanics manual that tells you were the ball is to be inbounded from.

Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Not a judgment call

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
Sorry tony, but TH and the others are right. If the violation occurs in the free throw circle then the throw-in is made from the baseline. No ifs, ands, or judgments. Check out Page 21 of your "2001-2003 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual". It's clearly indicated there. You don't get to choose where the ball gets put into play.

chuck