The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 10:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
16 of 62 on the G League staff are women, as of my quick count.
https://www.referee.com/2017-18-nati...league-roster/
I would assume that everyone on the G-League staff is not qualified to make the jump, including most of the men. My understanding you are being groomed to make the jump when on the staff but not necessarily ready to work NBA games anytime soon. And unless they are firing officials or major retirements they are not going to be picking up anyone in great numbers. They have hired people from the WNBA Staff who are a combination of NCAA officials and G-League officials in recent years. Also, I would assume that some of those G-League staff work NBA Summer stuff as well but not sure how that gets you to the NBA staff directly.

The path comes from many angles I have been told, at least in the last few years.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would assume that everyone on the G-League staff is not qualified to make the jump, including most of the men. My understanding you are being groomed to make the jump when on the staff but not necessarily ready to work NBA games anytime soon. And unless they are firing officials or major retirements they are not going to be picking up anyone in great numbers. They have hired people from the WNBA Staff who are a combination of NCAA officials and G-League officials in recent years. Also, I would assume that some of those G-League staff work NBA Summer stuff as well but not sure how that gets you to the NBA staff directly.

The path comes from many angles I have been told, at least in the last few years.

Peace
Everybody on the roster works Summer League, including the new officials. G-League is always the first stop - for some, WNBA is next, then NBA. For some, WNBA is the last stop. For some, they skip WNBA. Historically, the league has hired you from 3-6 years and if you aren't ready to make the jump, you are fired.

Soon, the league (supposedly) is going to have people being hired as full time G-League officials that will never make the jump, along with people still being groomed.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
Everybody on the roster works Summer League, including the new officials. G-League is always the first stop - for some, WNBA is next, then NBA. For some, WNBA is the last stop. For some, they skip WNBA. Historically, the league has hired you from 3-6 years and if you aren't ready to make the jump, you are fired.

Soon, the league (supposedly) is going to have people being hired as full time G-League officials that will never make the jump, along with people still being groomed.
Well, thanks for the further information. I know they have hired from multiple sources.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Will people accept being only a minor-league referee? Will the G-League pay enough to keep people from going to the NCAA? Hell, what does a G-League ref make now? Is it per game or is it salary?
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 12:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Will people accept being only a minor-league referee? Will the G-League pay enough to keep people from going to the NCAA? Hell, what does a G-League ref make now? Is it per game or is it salary?
I have a friend who gave up his college schedule b/c his G-League schedule is so extensive. But he is also on the non-Staff NBA roster for this season, but I think that only got him around 5-10 NBA games.

I have another friend who was in a similar position but kept his college schedule.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Apr 04, 2018 at 12:13pm.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Yes, people will gladly accept it. Lowest tier pays $1200/game, mid $1700, high $2200. A full-time official in this model would work 50+ games Nov-late March, make minimum $60k, and have all travel/perdiem/lodging paid. Easy choice.

Last edited by IncorrectCall; Wed Apr 04, 2018 at 12:17pm.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, people will gladly accept it. Lowest tier pays $1200/game, mid $1700, high $2200. A full-time official in this model would work 50+ games Nov-late March, make minimum $60k, and have all travel/perdiem/lodging paid. Easy choice.
Damn, that's pretty good for a minor league. I was thinking they were treated like the cats in the MiLB. The best guys there top out at $3900 a month during the season.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 11:21pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
justacoach oversees a crew of officials who are working on changing that.
Por favor, Señor¿

Last edited by justacoach; Wed Apr 04, 2018 at 11:46pm.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 11:37pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:

Never have I seen a post replete with so much misinformation.

You're talking out of your hat
Old Thu Apr 05, 2018, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post

Some of the info is from George, some is from crew chiefs in the G. If that's misinformation, I guess I'm misinformed.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2018, 09:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Quote:
Some of the info is from George, some is from crew chiefs in the G. If that's misinformation, I guess I'm misinformed.
I believe justacoach has some pretty reliable sources.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2018, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Meh, I think I have posted some rule question/answers that were far more incorrect
Old Thu Apr 05, 2018, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

The problems with these type of articles is that they promote a form of affirmative action. Right now the NBA and college are typically white guys, are there women held back because its a good old boy club no? but this article will make you think so. What happens is if the article or movement gains steam into mainstream media the NBA is now almost forced to hire women refs to make people happy. How would you like to work hard to make it as a NBA ref only to lose out to a less qualified woman. I believe in things being equal and women having the same chances as men but not to meet a demand. The best person should always win
Old Thu Apr 05, 2018, 11:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa16 View Post
The problems with these type of articles is that they promote a form of affirmative action. Right now the NBA and college are typically white guys, are there women held back because its a good old boy club no? but this article will make you think so. What happens is if the article or movement gains steam into mainstream media the NBA is now almost forced to hire women refs to make people happy. How would you like to work hard to make it as a NBA ref only to lose out to a less qualified woman. I believe in things being equal and women having the same chances as men but not to meet a demand. The best person should always win
Officials have been losing out opportunities to less qualified folks of a different demographic for quite a while. This wouldn't be the start of some new trend.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2018, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Officials have been losing out opportunities to less qualified folks of a different demographic for quite a while. This wouldn't be the start of some new trend.
Exactly. Just look at women's college basketball and how quickly the average female goes up the ladder compared to the average male. And how often a female that is clearly inferior to other prospective male candidates will be picked up because "she can be trained."

And I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is reality; it's the women's game. After all, you never see females working men's college despite the fact that there are probably plenty of women who are more qualified than many of the men that are on the men's side.