The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Womens NBA Path (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103743-womens-nba-path.html)

sdoebler Mon Apr 02, 2018 09:48am

Womens NBA Path

Interesting article:
Revolution Interrupted: Why Has the NBA's Effort to Hire Female Refs Stalled? | Bleacher Report

Player989random Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35pm

"But it's not hard to conclude that the salary differential among officials contributes directly to the gender pay gap and, likely, to the marginalization of women off the court."

See, it's sentences like these that show the bias of the journalist. WNBA officials get paid less because the WNBA can't afford to pay them more. They can't afford to pay them more because people don't watch the WNBA as much as the WNBA, so advertisers don't buy ad time at a premium cost. Why don't people watch? Because it's not as exciting as the NBA? I don't know, I don't watch the NBA.

If we are going down the path of under represented groups, why not point out the fact that half the NBA staff is black and the other half white? Where are the Asians and Hispanics?

Hell, Palmer answered the question when she pointed out that you can make better money with less headaches by sticking to the NCAA.

The only true sexism I see is NCAAM, where being a women means you won't make it. At all. Holtkamp did an interview where she was told by a supervisor that he wouldn't hire her to do Men's College. Why not use that quote? And at the HS level where a woman working a Boy's game is infrequent enough to merit a double-take. Yet that's in all sports here in NoVA.

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:49pm

Here is my question. Does the NBA have many women's officials qualified to work the NBA? Because if they are not working the G-League or any other major Men's basketball level, do you have anyone available to pick up? Now that problem might stem from the fact that women do not get many opportunities in college or high school at all and never go that route, but how do you get women getting certain opportunities if they never go in that direction?

Peace

Kansas Ref Mon Apr 02, 2018 02:17pm

Classic "chicken or egg--which came first?" type of issue. I've seen here in Kansas where female refs who do boys games are trippared with 2 men and seldom 1 other woman. I have spoke with female ref colleagues and they have expressed that issues like separate changing rooms, issues of seniority, and availability come into play [no pun intended]. I for one, whenever I get paired with a female, I am very stern with the coaches and anyone who tries to de-credit their officiating acumen.

Raymond Mon Apr 02, 2018 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1020248)
Here is my question. Does the NBA have many women's officials qualified to work the NBA? Because if they are not working the G-League or any other major Men's basketball level, do you have anyone available to pick up? Now that problem might stem from the fact that women do not get many opportunities in college or high school at all and never go that route, but how do you get women getting certain opportunities if they never go in that direction?

Peace

The same faces showing up in the Women's Final for the last 20 years indicates to me that the college ranks are not doing a good job of developing talent.

ilyazhito Mon Apr 02, 2018 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1020267)
The same faces showing up in the Women's Final for the last 20 years indicates to me that the college ranks are not doing a good job of developing talent.

Maybe it is time to integrate the men's and women's staffs, train them together, and have all basketball officials get experience working both genders ;). In that case, women's officials might benefit from the apparently superior training that the men's officials are getting. If HS and NBA officials can work both genders, there is no reason why it is not possible in college. Perhaps J.D. Collins can get women's officials to stop the clock as consistently as the men's officials do ;).

With integrated staffs, women will be more likely to advance in NCAAM basketball to a level on par with men. Perhaps then the Case of the Missing Female Officials can be solved :).

sdoebler Mon Apr 02, 2018 04:17pm

Quote:

This is a pretty good point, I think there is a period of time where officials are in there "prime" so you see them year in and year out for a span of time. What is the longest stretch of time a mens official appeared in final fours?

Raymond Mon Apr 02, 2018 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020276)
Maybe it is time to integrate the men's and women's staffs, train them together, and have all basketball officials get experience working both genders ;). In that case, women's officials might benefit from the apparently superior training that the men's officials are getting. If HS and NBA officials can work both genders, there is no reason why it is not possible in college. Perhaps J.D. Collins can get women's officials to stop the clock as consistently as the men's officials do ;).

With integrated staffs, women will be more likely to advance in NCAAM basketball to a level on par with men. Perhaps then the Case of the Missing Female Officials can be solved :).

The women don't have to stop the clock on out of bounds plays. You'll find that mechanically the NCAA Women's side is more in tune with NBA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rich Mon Apr 02, 2018 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020276)

Perhaps the women can get the men to eliminate the unnecessary stop clock mechanic?

AremRed Mon Apr 02, 2018 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1020284)
Perhaps the women can get the men to eliminate the unnecessary stop clock mechanic?

Yes please.

JD, the hand doesn't stop the clock. The whistle does. Never had a clockkeeper stop the clock when I threw my hand in the air.

Rich Mon Apr 02, 2018 04:34pm

Quote:

20 years? Dee Kantner has worked the Final Four every year (except her NBA years) since 1992.

They could keep people like Kantner home every other year and identify people who would do just as good of a job. They don't, however.

Raymond Tue Apr 03, 2018 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player989random (Post 1020247)

If we are going down the path of under represented groups, why not point out the fact that half the NBA staff is black and the other half white? Where are the Asians and Hispanics?

justacoach oversees a crew of officials who are working on changing that. ;)

IncorrectCall Tue Apr 03, 2018 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player989random (Post 1020247)

To answer your question - getting hired into and groomed in the G-League over the past 3-4 years.

Raymond Tue Apr 03, 2018 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IncorrectCall (Post 1020328)
To answer your question - getting hired into and groomed in the G-League over the past 3-4 years.

I work on college staffs with at least 4 such individuals, 3 of whom are related, and all of whom are young, in-shape, and hungry.

HawkeyeCubP Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1020248)
HDoes the NBA have many women's officials qualified to work the NBA? Because if they are not working the G-League or any other major Men's basketball level, do you have anyone available to pick up?

16 of 62 on the G League staff are women, as of my quick count.
https://www.referee.com/2017-18-nati...league-roster/