The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Not just fans, but it kills the flow of the game, and gives extended time-outs to both teams. I am sure there have been situations where an extended replay time-out benefited one team way more than the other.
Not really any more than the 4 media timeouts each half. Even when they take a while, it is usually still less than a media timeout.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are you sure that is the time? I did not see a foul called at that time. The Kansas player threw the ball out of bounds after being near the basket on a pass and drive.

Peace
Yeah, I knew I might be off on that one. I'll dig some more into the play-by-play.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yeah, I knew I might be off on that one. I'll dig some more into the play-by-play.
No problem, I just looked at the play and was not sure that was what you were referencing. We have time to get this play.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
All in the 2nd half:

13:41 & 6:21--both plays where Kansas is ruled OOB (is contact sufficient for foul calls/should foul count be taken into account)

1:41 & 1:25--Kansas called for travel (correct call); Grayson Allen travels in a similar manner then gets fouled and sent to the FT line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are you sure that is the time? I did not see a foul called at that time. The Kansas player threw the ball out of bounds after being near the basket on a pass and drive.

Peace
I'll see if I find a full copy of the game. The Kansas travel was in the middle of the paint at either 9:18 or 7:31 of the 2nd half. As I said, it was definitely a travel. But Allen does a similar move in the paint and was not called and ended up shooting free throws in a crucial situation while his team was up.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As an official my only concern is getting the play right. If coaches (those who make the rules) don't think it's a problem then I'm not going to worry about flow, beer runs, dinner plans, etc. But something tells me coaches are more concerned with getting a deserved possession with 4 seconds left in the game than they are about fans and their complaints.
My 2 cents ( I'll wait for change)

I'm want to be right too. But I'm not ok wit the game delayed for minutes at a time because we want to change the standard for right.

38 minutes a game right is what we judge based on the real time evidence and help from our fellow officials.

Just my opinion, but I see the replay and the table official in the same way. Assistance from another view or vantage point in case we missed something. If I say white ball and my partner comes in and says no its off white. We talk about what we saw and come to a decision. My partner doesn't run in and say hey blue came in and smacked that ball free but I/m pretty certain the last micro touch was whites finger tips last.

I want the call right. Right needs to be consistent and relative throughout the game. If its not something that can be picked up by the naked eye and at speed (even on replay), odds are it would be passed on/missed/called or no called the other way all game long. Replay should assistant in correcting errors or ommissions made by officials in key moments of the game, not change the nature of decision making.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not really any more than the 4 media timeouts each half. Even when they take a while, it is usually still less than a media timeout.
In this case, it was a 4 minute review. I went back to check, I was curious about how long it was taking.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 01:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
My 2 cents ( I'll wait for change)

I'm want to be right too. But I'm not ok wit the game delayed for minutes at a time because we want to change the standard for right.

38 minutes a game right is what we judge based on the real time evidence and help from our fellow officials.

Just my opinion, but I see the replay and the table official in the same way. Assistance from another view or vantage point in case we missed something. If I say white ball and my partner comes in and says no its off white. We talk about what we saw and come to a decision. My partner doesn't run in and say hey blue came in and smacked that ball free but I/m pretty certain the last micro touch was whites finger tips last.

I want the call right. Right needs to be consistent and relative throughout the game. If its not something that can be picked up by the naked eye and at speed (even on replay), odds are it would be passed on/missed/called or no called the other way all game long. Replay should assistant in correcting errors or ommissions made by officials in key moments of the game, not change the nature of decision making.
Coaches have decided that possessions in the last 2 minutes are crucial enough that getting it right is more important than flow. Whatever any of us THINK replay should be for, the coaches obviously have their own thoughts on it.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 06:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Duke/Kansas Video request (Elite 8)

Quote:
All in the 2nd half:

13:41 & 6:21--both plays where Kansas is ruled OOB (is contact sufficient for foul calls/should foul count be taken into account)

1:41 & 1:25--Kansas called for travel (correct call); Grayson Allen travels in a similar manner then gets fouled and sent to the FT line.
Below times are confirmed.

13:41 & 6:21 (2nd half) for OOB with contact plays.

9:18 & 1:25 (2nd half) for travel & no-travel calls.

Thanks Jeff.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 27, 2018 at 06:24pm. Reason: Duke/Kansas Video Request Elite 8 (CBS)
Old Fri Mar 30, 2018, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

it is a great point that OOB is always called out on a1 if b1 is holding the ball and a1 pokes it, and that is the way it should be, but if you had super slo mo to review it, it's actually going to be touched last by a1 probably half the time. the other problem is when good officials pass on a gray over the back and give the possession on a rebound contest that goes out of bounds to the team with inside position, on review that's going to be a problem because the foul can't then be called. So officials that do that have to be more careful in the last 2 minutes to go ahead and call the foul.

Calling travel on a player pivoting that keeps the front part of his foot within an inch of the base of his toes isn't appropriate in my opinion, it is, after all, a pivot foot. That travel on KU you are talking about, player didn't lift his foot, pivoted a few times nervously but I don't think it was a travel
Old Sat Mar 31, 2018, 10:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Long Gone ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
it is a great point that OOB is always called out on a1 if b1 is holding the ball and a1 pokes it, and that is the way it should be,
Sometimes A1 pokes it away, but B1 might try to grasp the ball heading out of bounds. If B1 misses, it's B's ball. If B1 lightly touches it, it's A's ball.

With Aunt Mary recording every play in her nephew's fourth grade game, in regard to out of bounds plays, the days of officials, on any level, calling what's fair (or accepted) rather than what's factual are long gone.

To those of us who may want to go back to the good old days, wake up, and smell the coffee (or view it on video replay).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 31, 2018 at 12:54pm.