The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

VID Request duke vs Kansas (Video added)

4:39 1st half
Jabari Parker travel not called. It was clearly not landing on 2 feet after jumping off one foot.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the play...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Preciate it

I see a travel.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 04:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Preciate it

I see a travel.
Get used to it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 04:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Preciate it

I see a travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Get used to it.
Yep, b/c you'll see travels get missed at any level you are observing.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes they are missed but this one was. Ugh!!!! If there was a foul after the player violated, coach has reason to complain.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
coach has reason to complain.
I have yet to meet a coach who actually waited until he had a reason to complain to start complaining.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

I know thats right.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Looks legal. Gather occurs after he leaves the floor, so he is allowed a pivot foot when he lands.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:36pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Looks legal. Gather occurs after he leaves the floor, so he is allowed a pivot foot when he lands.
you must be watching a different video.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really????

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
you must be watching a different video.
Agree.

It always baffles me that people try to apply a definition that doesn't exist. There is no such thing as "gather". All you have to know is when did the dribble end? And that is when he got his hand under the ball and caught it. If he had put the ball back down at that point, it would have been a carry (which is just a variation of a travel). There is no such concept like in football that requires that a player bring it into their body or any such thing before it can be considered caught.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey I'm not a fan of poorly executed jump stops and think way to many of them are allowed to be no-called, but this one it is not clear when his dribble ends. He does a hard dribble down and then jumps off one foot. Somewhere in there his dribble ends. I can't tell when that is. If his dribble ends when he has already left the ground he is allowed to have a pivot foot when he returns to the floor, which is what he does.

I certainly wouldn't argue if this was called a travel because it is very bang/bang, but I'm not going to argue when it gets no called either.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 02:22pm
beware big brother

Then we will have to disagree about how close or hard it is to look at this replay and decide when his dribble ended.

As for the crew viewing this play in real time. I think the official that will be the lead has a good look at when he ended his dribble. After that, his look isn't so good. He has 1 other duke player and 3 Kansas players in his way. Probably happened because he was getting beat on the play and was more worried about missing a foul than a travel. By continuing to try to get to the end line, he put himself in a worse position.

I actually think the C has a good look at this play and is in the best position to call the travel.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Really????

Agree.

It always baffles me that people try to apply a definition that doesn't exist. There is no such thing as "gather". All you have to know is when did the dribble end? And that is when he got his hand under the ball and caught it. If he had put the ball back down at that point, it would have been a carry (which is just a variation of a travel). There is no such concept like in football that requires that a player bring it into their body or any such thing before it can be considered caught.
The dribble ending does not necessarily mean he's holding the ball. Normally, they're at the same time, and I think they are on this video, but it's not always the case.

Edit: I was answering to the wrong video. After watching this video, I can't tell when he actually starts holding the ball. I don't think he starts holding it until he's in the air, as it looks like he bumps it into the air while trying to grab it, but doesn't actually grab it immediately.

Either way, since I can't tell, I wouldn't make this call.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 03:40pm. Reason: watched the video
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hey I'm not a fan of poorly executed jump stops and think way to many of them are allowed to be no-called, but this one it is not clear when his dribble ends. He does a hard dribble down and then jumps off one foot. Somewhere in there his dribble ends. I can't tell when that is. If his dribble ends when he has already left the ground he is allowed to have a pivot foot when he returns to the floor, which is what he does.

I certainly wouldn't argue if this was called a travel because it is very bang/bang, but I'm not going to argue when it gets no called either.
This is my take. I think he ends the dribble in the air. It is not about the last foot that was on the ground that only matters, it is when they dribble stops and that occurs when he grabs the ball. And it is not obvious, it is not a violation. I am always going to give a player the benefit of the doubt. In a real game we cannot slow it down and see when the exact moment something happens all the time. And when you might not have the angle it makes it harder.

Peace