The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Since it was brought up, regarding the contentious block/charge that went block against Duke, I thought it was a great call.
Not being antagonistic here...just want to know why.

What did the defense do wrong on that play?

(I have no dog in this fight, either.)
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Yeah I don't care much for this trend. I would argue that 90% of the time when the ball is hit out of a players hands, that player likely touched it last. But we don't call it that way. I saw another review this year involving Gene Steretore on a Michigan game where he came to the broadcast guys and said "we saw two frames that had it off the player holding the ball"....really?!? Do we really want to be so precise that we forget review is there to correct OBVIOUS errors in judgement. Las tonight was not an obvious error in judgement and thus should have have been overturned.
This is a valid point. Replay has forced us into the position where we make this type of call one way for 38 minutes and a different way for the other 2.

It might be worth refining the OOB violation verbiage in some way so as to state, “when a player dislodges the ball from a BH and the ball subsequently goes directly OOB, the player who dislodged the ball is deemed to have caused it to go out.” Then write a couple of case plays to illustrate rulings. Problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Not being antagonistic here...just want to know why.

What did the defense do wrong on that play?

(I have no dog in this fight, either.)

Was sliding left and slightly toward (i.e. not maintaining LGP) at the point of contact.

Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was sliding left and slightly toward (i.e. not maintaining LGP) at the point of contact.

Ok, I also saw the defender obtain LGP then move left, but couldn't tell if that movement was forward into the shooter.

Difficult, big time call.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Ok, I also saw the defender obtain LGP then move left, but couldn't tell if that movement was forward into the shooter.

Difficult, big time call.
I thought the defender was legal too....and the only reason I wanted Duke to win was because I had picked them to get to the FF in my bracket.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge - Thought the player was legal felt like the final step with right leg was straightening up or narrowing their stance not still moving.

Replay - I wish replay was used to overturn calls that are incorrectly called and obvious. Ie. someone missed something. Do not believe supper slow mo and enhanced twenty times to be sure and confirmed should be the standards for officials on the floor. If on a full speed, regular size viewing of the play there is not enough to clearly overturn the call on the floor. Call should stand and we move on.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

That looked like a PC all day to me. Defense had establish LGP and didn't do anything to lose it.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 04:53pm
Administrator

I am a life long KU fan (my dear departed Mom, Class of 1942), and it was PCF.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All this whining about reply time annoys me. We debate it as though this is a major problem, but we tend to forget that it is March and so it might take a little longer to be sure when there's a team that's going home. I'm ok with that. I think improvement can be made in the availability and utility of video feeds provided to the officials. But to put a time limit on situations like these is absurd. The OP play was very, very close, and indeed it turned out there was only one definitive angle out of the many provided. And it probably would not have been definitive if not for its high resolution. In the end, they got the call right. So tell me why we're arguing about this?
Sorry, but replay is there to get obvious errors corrected, not to slow plays down frame by frame to judge the last millimeter that someone touched a ball. A time limit is needed, because if it can't be determined in that amount of time, it is not indisputable visual evidence, which should be the basis to overturn any call. I understand a small delay if the referees are cycling through all the replay angles, but you can see during the broadcast that the referees are playing each angle frame by frame to try and see the last microsecond that someone had a hand on the ball. That is not the intent of replay. Also, these delays weren't restricted to March...it was happening all year.

I still can't believe they overturned that call, and again, I was rooting for Kansas.

Chris
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 08:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
Sorry, but replay is there to get obvious errors corrected, not to slow plays down frame by frame to judge the last millimeter that someone touched a ball. A time limit is needed, because if it can't be determined in that amount of time, it is not indisputable visual evidence, which should be the basis to overturn any call. I understand a small delay if the referees are cycling through all the replay angles, but you can see during the broadcast that the referees are playing each angle frame by frame to try and see the last microsecond that someone had a hand on the ball. That is not the intent of replay. Also, these delays weren't restricted to March...it was happening all year.

I still can't believe they overturned that call, and again, I was rooting for Kansas.
I run plays frame-by-frame on a regular basis on my DVR. Sometimes that is what's needed to see what actually happened.

And again, there was an angle (I saw on DVR before the officials did) that shows the Duke player was the last to touch the ball with both hands.

I'd hate to be that crew that prematurely gives a ruling that then has ESPN rerunning a replay that night showing how they got it wrong in their haste to appease fans whose daily schedules have been thrown off by 2 minutes.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I run plays frame-by-frame on a regular basis on my DVR. Sometimes that is what's needed to see what actually happened.
Agreed, but at some point, the delay and search for precision goes too far.

Quote:
I'd hate to be that crew that prematurely gives a ruling that then has ESPN rerunning a replay that night showing how they got it wrong in their haste to appease fans whose daily schedules have been thrown off by 2 minutes.
Not just fans, but it kills the flow of the game, and gives extended time-outs to both teams. I am sure there have been situations where an extended replay time-out benefited one team way more than the other.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 08:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Agreed, but at some point, the delay and search for precision goes too far.

Not just fans, but it kills the flow of the game, and gives extended time-outs to both teams. I am sure there have been situations where an extended replay time-out benefited one team way more than the other.
As an official my only concern is getting the play right. If coaches (those who make the rules) don't think it's a problem then I'm not going to worry about flow, beer runs, dinner plans, etc. But something tells me coaches are more concerned with getting a deserved possession with 4 seconds left in the game than they are about fans and their complaints.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 09:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Video request Duke vs. Kansas Elite 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Does anyone have the time of this play?

Peace
All in the 2nd half:

13:41 & 6:21--both plays where Kansas is ruled OOB (is contact sufficient for foul calls/should foul count be taken into account)

1:41 & 1:25--Kansas called for travel (correct call); Grayson Allen travels in a similar manner then gets fouled and sent to the FT line.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Duke/Kansas OOB in Last Minute

Quote:
As an official my only concern is getting the play right. If coaches (those who make the rules) don't think it's a problem then I'm not going to worry about flow, beer runs, dinner plans, etc. But something tells me coaches are more concerned with getting a deserved possession with 4 seconds left in the game than they are about fans and their complaints.

^ This.
Also, “flow” is overrated. At its core, flow is fan speak. Do I like a smooth flowing game without many whistles? Sure, who doesn’t? Do I use judgment to pass on what I can pass on, which may indirectly improve flow? Sure. But do I overtly take steps to influence flow? Absolutely not. This includes not feeling artificially rushed at the monitor when there are no rules dictating how long I have to review. If the committee wants to change that, that’s on them, not me.

Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 11:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

1:41 --Kansas called for travel (correct call);
Are you sure that is the time? I did not see a foul called at that time. The Kansas player threw the ball out of bounds after being near the basket on a pass and drive.

Peace