The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 09:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Does that mean at most you are wrong half the time?
It means no self-respecting supervisor gives a damn. I have never heard anyone complain what hand signal is given when using a preliminary signal in over 20 years.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It means no self-respecting supervisor gives a damn. I have never heard anyone complain what hand signal is given when using a preliminary signal in over 20 years.

Peace
Yea, I know what it means. Ergo, the emoticon () used. I was simply teasing....and trying to catch BM with regards to number of posts.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
And if they do, they care about the wrong things.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 09:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Yea, I know what it means. Ergo, the emoticon () used. I was simply teasing....and trying to catch BM with regards to number of posts.
And I was simply telling the straight truth.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 04:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Promotion ...

Quote:
It means no self-respecting supervisor gives a damn. I have never heard anyone complain what hand signal is given when using a preliminary signal in over 20 years
Our assignment commissioner definitely doesn't, but our trained observers, who observe for the purpose of promotion (subvarsity to varsity), certainly do.

Of course, correct hand signals do not, alone, make a good basketball official. There are a lot of other things, most a lot more important than hand signals, that our trained observers look for.

Correct hand signals are just one very small piece of the puzzle.

RATINGS GUIDELINES FOR EVALUATION

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Official is in physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy through the game.
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept.

MECHANICS
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the IAABO Officials Manual.
Performs accurate foul reporting and clock administration.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification

TEAM WORK
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official.
Arrives on time; actively participate in the pre-game.
Actively participate in the post-game.
Accepts criticism.
Shares the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

JUDGEMENT
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball.
Uses unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important,
the not calling of a rule violation will have.
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example, consistency
in the determination of a block vs. a charge.
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.

GAME MANAGEMENT
Demonstrates control of the game. Leadership, able to run the game
Communicates with coaches, partners and table.
Is courteous and polite
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her
reaction to a situation.
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls without regard to the score, whom it may hurt,
or how it may effect future relations with the coach. Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves
tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 27, 2018 at 04:39pm.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 05:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

I get it and did not need all of that to state what you guys do. But my point is that there is a lot of lip service to what mechanics should look like, but when it comes down to it, they are not going crazy if someone is not "perfect." I have yet to see anyone in years do a player-control foul perfectly.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 05:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Marking someone down for giving an incorrect blocking signal means they are using that as an excuse, nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Control Foul Signal ...

Quote:
.. when it comes down to it, they are not going crazy if someone is not "perfect." I have yet to see anyone in years do a player-control foul perfectly.
Agree on your "crazy", "perfect" statement.

Agree on your player control foul signal statement.

Why is it that the player control foul signal is the one that seems to have the most variations? It happened when we were using NFHS mechanics and signals, and it's still happening now that we use IAABO mechanics and signals. It happened when old time veterans were using "seat of the pants" mechanics and signals back when I first started, and it's happening now (after the grizzled veterans have retired, or passed away) with the brand new guys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 27, 2018 at 05:24pm.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 05:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree on your "crazy" part.

Agree on your player control foul signal statement. Why is it that the player control foul signal is the one that seems to have the most variations?

Cause the book variant looks weak and indecisive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 05:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Punch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Cause the book variant looks weak and indecisive?
I can't disagree with you regarding the behind the head signal.

We've got more than just a few guys who use the team control foul "punch" for a player control foul (especially as a preliminary signal). It certainly looks strong and decisive (certainly stronger and more decisive than the behind the head signal).

Why don't the powers that be (NFHS or IAABO) change to this signal? I know the definitions of a player control foul and a team control foul are not 100% exactly the same (airborne shooter), but that can't be the only reason why we keep the antiquated behind the head signal.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was using the behind the head signal when there were peach baskets, and laced basket balls (two words).

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 27, 2018 at 07:22pm.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 06:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I still remember the book signal as taught to me 30+ years ago.

Fist up to stop clock. Same hand behind head. Same hand pointing towards the opponent goal. 1-2-3.

I have never done it once in a game.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Marking someone down for giving an incorrect blocking signal means they are using that as an excuse, nothing more.

Well how else are you supposed to engineer your staff roster the way you want it to look?

I suppose you could also apply a controversial and legally tenuous residency requirement. Wait.....I’m being told.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 07:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Well how else are you supposed to engineer your staff roster the way you want it to look?

I suppose you could also apply a controversial and legally tenuous residency requirement. Wait.....I’m being told.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been through some weird things in 31 years. I've been in my current location for 16 of them now, but I hit 5 states in less than 10 years and it's amazing the gyrations some groups will go through to protect their own.

As someone who hires for schools, I don't care if an official moves into my area tomorrow. I want people who can work, nothing more. And I've found that some officials who have gotten some big time assignments (even state finals) aren't people I want working for me.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 07:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Moving On Up ...

Quote:
... I don't care if an official moves into my area tomorrow. I want people who can work, nothing more.
That's why, here in my little corner of Connecticut, we've moved from years of experience as a requirement to move up to varsity assignments, to observations, observations that can be done during preseason scrimmages, to properly assign an official who has moved into our area, to a varsity schedule, if he's skilled enough. If he has an IAABO background, he doesn't even have to be observed, he just keeps the status he had with his previous IAABO board.

Old Tue Mar 27, 2018, 07:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Player Control" ...

Quote:
Fist up to stop clock. Same hand behind head. Same hand pointing towards the opponent goal.
Were you taught to verbalize, "Charge", or "Player control"?