Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 02:09pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
where's a judge when you need one?
+1000
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 02:09pm
Esteemed Participant

Does WV allow protests of games when a rule is set aside or misapplied???
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 02:32pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Not unless they have approved a specific variance from FED rules.

Rule 5, Section 4 Article 2

"The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee does not recognize protests. "
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Not unless they have approved a specific variance from FED rules.
That didn't stop the GHSA.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

The truth is the clock show .3 second, but it could have been .39 seconds. I had a clock show 0.0 and no horn on a foul call.

The clock probably had 0.09 seconds. less than .1 for my foul call, could have been 0.39 in this case.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
The truth is the clock show .3 second, but it could have been .39 seconds. I had a clock show 0.0 and no horn on a foul call.

The clock probably had 0.09 seconds. less than .1 for my foul call, could have been 0.39 in this case.
So?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hint: What does the rule say?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 03:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

There is absolutely nothing in the rule book that allows for such an assumption.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 03:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Think About It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
... My partners and I got together during the time-out and discussed that if they catch and shoot a 3 that we will wave it off and the game is over.
Slow down partner. Not necessarily. The game might not be over. What else can happen in 0.3 seconds other than a tip? How about a catch and a ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Taking a closed book test is not going to solve that problem if you ask questions about the diameter of the division line instead of questions that actually could be faced in a game.

I’m with you there. But if the closed book test contains questions about rules that legitimately matter (i.e. we can all dispense with multiple foul scenarios), we might move the needle a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogumakilla View Post
Question...if you wave the shot off immediately there, and the coach is obviously upset, do you stay and give a quick explanation of the rule? Or just leave the court asap?
It was a tie game, wave it off and go to overtime
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
No
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Slow down partner. Not necessarily. The game might not be over. What else can happen in 0.3 seconds other than a tip? How about a catch and a ...
We specifically talked about a catch and a shot. Any other hypothetical situation is irrelevant.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Hint: What does the rule say?
The rule book says: basically that you can't catch and shoot with "three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remaining on the clock."

As someone already pointed out, as the clock is ticking down, if they would show the hundredths, it would look like this:

When .3 is displayed on the clock, there is almost certainly more than .3 seconds "remaining on the clock". Thus, you could potentially count this basket per the rule book.

Is there is a case that says when the clock "displays", or "reads", or "shows" .3 or less, then you can't catch and shoot?

Because that game clock showing .3 almost certainly has more than .3 remaining on the clock, and the rule wouldn't apply. Would have to use your judgement if it was released on time.

I believe the NBA rule says can't catch and shoot with "less than three-tenths of a second left". Not less than or equal to, like the NFHS rule states. .3 seconds could be as much as .39999 repeating. That's why the 8 second violation isn't called when 16 shows but when 15 shows on the clock. Also, the reason the red light is the determining factor. A display of 0.0 is somewhere between 0.09999 repeating and 0.0.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
The rule book says: basically that you can't catch and shoot with "three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remaining on the clock."

As someone already pointed out, as the clock is ticking down, if they would show the hundredths, it would look like this:

When .3 is displayed on the clock, there is almost certainly more than .3 seconds "remaining on the clock". Thus, you could potentially count this basket per the rule book.

I don't think so. The wording, as quoted by you, is "three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remaining on the clock." While the actual time might be more than 0.3 (0.39), the rule states 0.3 or less remaining on the clock. That means whatever the clock is displaying, not the tiny difference between what it displays and the actual time.

Haha, this is a funny discussion over such a minute difference. But I think the overall point is this: for this rule, all that matters is what is displayed, not what amount of time *might* remain.