The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Team catches & shoots w/ .3 left to win in WV Tournament

From the West Virginia State Girls Tournament.....wvmetronews.com

Cara Minor hit a game-winning two-point shot as time expired, lifting Class AA No. 1 North Marion over No. 8 Bluefield 56-54 in a dramatic girls basketball quarterfinal matchup.

The bucket came off an in-bounds with just .3 seconds on the clock...

There was some confusion as to whether the shot should count, though, and the rules were interpreted by the officials that a player could catch and shoot with 0.3 seconds on the clock.

According to NFHS rule 5-2.5, however, it states: “When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation, only a tap could score.”

“To lose like that makes it harder,” said Bluefield coach Tony Mallamaci. “I’m not a time genius, but how you can hold the ball in your hand (and shoot) with 0.3 seconds left, I’m not gifted in that direction.

“They said (the officials) that you can catch and shoot with 0.3 (seconds on the clock),” Mallamaci said.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Where's a judge when you need one?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 09:58am
Stubborn Member

I'm curious what you all believe will happen with these officials. Will they lose future tournament games, or games in general?

EDIT: I re-read what I wrote earlier and it was just some cry-baby junk. Sorry.

Last edited by BryanV21; Thu Mar 08, 2018 at 10:16am.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Wow. That is an inexcusable error, if I'm being honest. I'd expect ANY varsity official to know that rule.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I worked a game recently where the home team was down 3 with 0.3 seconds remaining. The situation was a spot throw in from half court after a time-out. My partners and I got together during the time-out and discussed that if they catch and shoot a 3 that we will wave it off and the game is over. Of course, the home team comes out and beautifully executes a play to get the open 3 and they nailed it. Of course, home court timer advantage allowed the kid to catch the ball with his back turned to the basket, turn and shoot (ball going through the basket) all before the horn goes off. The crowd was very upset when we waived it off but it was the correct call. The coach asked why we did not count the basket and understood completely when we gave him an explanation.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Here is the article:

WV MetroNews – No. 1 North Marion hits buzzer-beater to escape Bluefield upset
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm curious what you all believe will happen with these officials. Will they lose future tournament games, or games in general?

EDIT: I re-read what I wrote earlier and it was just some cry-baby junk. Sorry.
I would vote in favor of never letting anyone on this crew officiate another post season game, ever.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

If you're in a 0.3 situation and there is a timeout, hopefully as a crew you have a brief discussion to be on the same page. Would anyone consider communicating with coaches during this timeout about the rule? I wouldn't, in the camp of they should know the rule, but I'm curious to see what others might think.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:43am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
If you're in a 0.3 situation and there is a timeout, hopefully as a crew you have a brief discussion to be on the same page. Would anyone consider communicating with coaches during this timeout about the rule? I wouldn't, in the camp of they should know the rule, but I'm curious to see what others might think.
No. It's not my job to educate anybody on the rules. If the coach does not know the rule it's not my problem. He can rant and rave all he wants... I don't care. He's the one that looks like a total jackass, not me.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Absolutely discuss if you have the opportunity (don’t delay the game unnecessarily). Do not coach the coach. They have access to the same books we do.

Very disappointed for the avocation as a whole to hear of a rule being kicked like this, let alone at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
No. It's not my job to educate anybody on the rules. If the coach does not know the rule it's not my problem. He can rant and rave all he wants... I don't care. He's the one that looks like a total jackass, not me.
I agree, it is not our job. We briefly discussed telling the coach that only a tip can score in the scenario I shared earlier. Obviously, we decided against it.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

What I have seen is the official administering the throw in loudly tell the player throwing in the ball they can only score on a tap. Pretty much loud enough that everyone on the floor can hear it. Coaches may hear it depending on how loud the gym is.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Here is the video...

Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 11:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Absolutely discuss if you have the opportunity (don’t delay the game unnecessarily). Do not coach the coach. They have access to the same books we do.

Very disappointed for the avocation as a whole to hear of a rule being kicked like this, let alone at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing surprises me anymore. I've heard of 5:00 OT being played in a playoff game.

Hate me all you want, but this is one that could most definitely be fixed.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanjj68 View Post
What I have seen is the official administering the throw in loudly tell the player throwing in the ball they can only score on a tap. Pretty much loud enough that everyone on the floor can hear it. Coaches may hear it depending on how loud the gym is.
Even worse! Now a team just used a TO and AFTER the TO you say this. Better to either say this to the coach before or not at all. You just wasted a team's TO and probably threw the inbounder, and anyone who heard you, into confusion.