The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Dead ball technical

Was this contact dead ball technical foul handled / called correctly? The audio isn't synced perfectly with the video, so don't go by that for the sound of the whistle. This is the scenario: Coppin player (#1) gets an offensive rebound and is fouled shooting the putback. After the whistle, Bethune Cookman #2 swings and connects to the mouth of a Coppin player (#22), knocking him down, and drawing blood. For a long time, it appeared they weren't going to do a monitor review. They eventually did. The monitor review portion isn't in the video, but, upon review, they called a common shooting foul on Bethune and a contact dead ball technical foul on Bethune. #21 Coppin was the player selected to shoot the technical free throws. Was all this handled/administered/called correctly? Thanks.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I may be going off of old knowledge because I thought they did away with the CDBT definition and replaced it with something else. Under the old CDBT penalties as I knew them, order of occurrence superseded point of interruption (just as it does for F2 techs). So in this case, I think they got the FT sequence correct, but then gave the ball OOB to the wrong team at the wrong spot.

Again, I’m basing this off of what I know would have been correct last year. Not sure if it still is this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 10:59pm
AremRed

Tech for the dead ball contact is correct. Shoot the original shooting foul first, then shoot the tech, any player may shoot. Offended team gets the ball at the division line either side.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Another classic example of "I-got-a-foul-so-I-will-hold-my-fist-in-the-air-for-a-long-time-lest-I-forget."
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 01:42pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Another classic example of "I-got-a-foul-so-I-will-hold-my-fist-in-the-air-for-a-long-time-lest-I-forget."
More like "this-could-get-ugly-quickly-so-I'm-concentrating-on-players-and-possible-retaliation-so-putting-my-arm-down-is-about-17th-on-my-prioritiy-list-at-the-moment."
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
More like "this-could-get-ugly-quickly-so-I'm-concentrating-on-players-and-possible-retaliation-so-putting-my-arm-down-is-about-17th-on-my-prioritiy-list-at-the-moment."
I will sometimes hold my signal up longer during such situations to remind everyone that there is foul that still needs to be addressed.

(Coach Bill, I sent you a PM)

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 22, 2018 at 02:01pm.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 05:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eventually My Arm Gets Tired ...

... and I bring it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I will sometimes hold my signal up longer during such situations to remind everyone that there is foul that still needs to be addressed.
And sometimes I just have more on my mind than remembering to bring down my arm; checking for a double whistle, identifying fouler, identifying foulee, preventing a possible altercation, checking for a possible injury, checking with my partner to see if the shot went in, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 22, 2018 at 05:12pm.