The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dead ball technical (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103567-dead-ball-technical.html)

Coach Bill Wed Feb 21, 2018 09:15pm

Dead ball technical

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0F7creYWCd4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was this contact dead ball technical foul handled / called correctly? The audio isn't synced perfectly with the video, so don't go by that for the sound of the whistle. This is the scenario: Coppin player (#1) gets an offensive rebound and is fouled shooting the putback. After the whistle, Bethune Cookman #2 swings and connects to the mouth of a Coppin player (#22), knocking him down, and drawing blood. For a long time, it appeared they weren't going to do a monitor review. They eventually did. The monitor review portion isn't in the video, but, upon review, they called a common shooting foul on Bethune and a contact dead ball technical foul on Bethune. #21 Coppin was the player selected to shoot the technical free throws. Was all this handled/administered/called correctly? Thanks.

crosscountry55 Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47pm

I may be going off of old knowledge because I thought they did away with the CDBT definition and replaced it with something else. Under the old CDBT penalties as I knew them, order of occurrence superseded point of interruption (just as it does for F2 techs). So in this case, I think they got the FT sequence correct, but then gave the ball OOB to the wrong team at the wrong spot.

Again, I’m basing this off of what I know would have been correct last year. Not sure if it still is this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AremRed Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59pm

Tech for the dead ball contact is correct. Shoot the original shooting foul first, then shoot the tech, any player may shoot. Offended team gets the ball at the division line either side.

bucky Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37pm

Another classic example of "I-got-a-foul-so-I-will-hold-my-fist-in-the-air-for-a-long-time-lest-I-forget.":rolleyes:

jTheUmp Thu Feb 22, 2018 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1017627)
Another classic example of "I-got-a-foul-so-I-will-hold-my-fist-in-the-air-for-a-long-time-lest-I-forget.":rolleyes:

More like "this-could-get-ugly-quickly-so-I'm-concentrating-on-players-and-possible-retaliation-so-putting-my-arm-down-is-about-17th-on-my-prioritiy-list-at-the-moment."

Raymond Thu Feb 22, 2018 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1017627)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1017629)
More like "this-could-get-ugly-quickly-so-I'm-concentrating-on-players-and-possible-retaliation-so-putting-my-arm-down-is-about-17th-on-my-prioritiy-list-at-the-moment."

I will sometimes hold my signal up longer during such situations to remind everyone that there is foul that still needs to be addressed.

(Coach Bill, I sent you a PM)

BillyMac Thu Feb 22, 2018 05:10pm

Eventually My Arm Gets Tired ...

... and I bring it down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1017629)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1017630)
I will sometimes hold my signal up longer during such situations to remind everyone that there is foul that still needs to be addressed.

And sometimes I just have more on my mind than remembering to bring down my arm; checking for a double whistle, identifying fouler, identifying foulee, preventing a possible altercation, checking for a possible injury, checking with my partner to see if the shot went in, etc.