The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Younger coaches, in my experience, are the ones who don't "get it" when it comes to their behavior. They expect to be treated like royalty, act surprised or like they didn't deserve it when they get warned/whacked, say stupid things like "you can't talk to me like that," and take longer to move on after getting stuck. Overall, that demographic is just not as behaved as their older counterparts in my opinion.

We have some young varsity head coaches around here that are some of the worst-behaved coaches that I deal with, and back in my small college days I also dealt with a few young headcase coaches.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Younger coaches, in my experience, are the ones who don't "get it" when it comes to their behavior. They expect to be treated like royalty, act surprised or like they didn't deserve it when they get warned/whacked, say stupid things like "you can't talk to me like that," and take longer to move on after getting stuck. Overall, that demographic is just not as behaved as their older counterparts in my opinion.

We have some young varsity head coaches around here that are some of the worst-behaved coaches that I deal with, and back in my small college days I also dealt with a few young headcase coaches.
I do totally agree that much of the time there are newer coaches that just do not "get it" no matter what you do with them. They not only act entitled but they also act out like and are surprised when we take action.

That being said, there are some older coaches that act out too. And often it is the same older coaches that have issues. But one of the reasons I think this is because the supervisors or administration does not take a stand on their behavior. If we as officials were supported when we take action, a lot of this would stop. But officials often have to think of how to handle a situation that clearly is out of bounds because of the backlash.

Peace