The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

got the stop sign last night

Tomegun, you'll love this...

last night, tight game, pretty well officiated overall. Head Coach has received a T earlier in the game (well deserved). Player from our team receives a T for acting like an idiot and is on his way to receiving a second because he believes opposing team's player deserves a T as well. Official tells HC to "take care of player or I will!" HC (from his seat) tells official he already has sent a sub to the table (sub had gone to table as soon as T was reported). As the FTs are about to be shot our player who has been T'd is still fuming but has moved away from benches so we can't calm him down or even threaten him to get him to knock off the idiocy.

The calling official stayed tableside for the FTs and tells the sub he needs to wait until after the FTs to enter and after he says this he warns HC again that he is ready to give our player another T if he doesn't calm down. So I said, "We appreciate the warning and we're trying to help you out and get him out of the game, so why not just let us make the sub right now?" He looks me right in the eye (from 5ft away) and gives me the dreaded stop sign .

I had to bite my lip from laughing, because it was the silliest thing I have ever seen. Just tell me that you're going to wait or that he's going to wait until the appropriate time by rule, or even tell me (or the HC) that he isn't addressing the concerns of the assistant coach, but the stop sign is perhaps the most childish thing I have ever seen.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

by rule after a T I do not think there is any restrictions as to when you can sub.

i would allow the sub asap to avoid T #2
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
by rule after a T I do not think there is any restrictions as to when you can sub.
By rule, you're wrong.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
By rule, you're wrong.
I agree. 3.3.1c. I don't see an exception for a T.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
So I said, "We appreciate the warning and we're trying to help you out and get him out of the game, so why not just let us make the sub right now?" .

OK, 2 things here. The stop sign is kind of funny, but in all reality it sounds as if you were given the stop sign because you are an assistant coach. Assistants are bench personnel and have no reason to speak to the official. Any questions or comments should come from the head coach only. So, as comical as the stop sign was since your team was obviously trying to get the player with the attitude problem out of the game, you, as an assistant, should not have had any comment on the matter at all. In my opinion the stop sign was your warning before you as bench personell recieved a technical. Remember the quote posted here a few weeks ago: "Sorry Robin, we only talk to Batman". That is probably why the stop sign came out.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Since we're on the subject of assistants... Last night in our boys game, I went over to answer a question from the visiting HC. The assistant started to say something in complaint, realized what he was doing, and put a finger to his lips shushing himself. I thought it was pretty funny but I did appreciate it.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, we had one last night in a tight game that wanted to spout off a little bit during a TO. I patiently waited for the huddle to break, and then walked right to the HC (who was standing beside his pouting assistant) and reminded him to "either take control of his bench personnel, or we would be forced to do so." He politely said "Yes sir", and all was well for the rest of the game.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I think I have to tell the HC that he will be the only one talking at least once a week. You'd think by this time of year the assistants would get the point.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By rule, you're wrong.
Question JR.

3-1 c. specifically mentions multiple free-throw personal fouls, not technicals.

Or is that just an unwritten assumption for ANY/ALL multiple FT's?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By rule, you're wrong.
Reference, please. 3-3-1c indicates that the restriction is "c. During multiple free-throw personal fouls "
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Is that you???

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
Tomegun, you'll love this...

last night, tight game, pretty well officiated overall. Head Coach has received a T earlier in the game (well deserved). Player from our team receives a T for acting like an idiot and is on his way to receiving a second because he believes opposing team's player deserves a T as well. Official tells HC to "take care of player or I will!" HC (from his seat) tells official he already has sent a sub to the table (sub had gone to table as soon as T was reported). As the FTs are about to be shot our player who has been T'd is still fuming but has moved away from benches so we can't calm him down or even threaten him to get him to knock off the idiocy.

The calling official stayed tableside for the FTs and tells the sub he needs to wait until after the FTs to enter and after he says this he warns HC again that he is ready to give our player another T if he doesn't calm down. So I said, "We appreciate the warning and we're trying to help you out and get him out of the game, so why not just let us make the sub right now?" He looks me right in the eye (from 5ft away) and gives me the dreaded stop sign .

I had to bite my lip from laughing, because it was the silliest thing I have ever seen. Just tell me that you're going to wait or that he's going to wait until the appropriate time by rule, or even tell me (or the HC) that he isn't addressing the concerns of the assistant coach, but the stop sign is perhaps the most childish thing I have ever seen.

Is that you the very knowledgable NR assitant coach and capable official?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Reference, please. 3-3-1c indicates that the restriction is "c. During multiple free-throw personal fouls "
Well the technical is charged as a personal foul to that individual player, as well as counting toward the team fouls for putting the other team in the bonus, so I think he has the proper rule stated.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jway44
Well the technical is charged as a personal foul to that individual player,
No, it's not. Is is counted toward one of the five fouls for disqualification, though.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Well the technical is charged as a personal foul to that individual player, as well as counting toward the team fouls for putting the other team in the bonus, so I think he has the proper rule stated.
No, it's not charged as a personal foul. It's charged as a technical foul and counted towards the player's "total fouls." Technical fouls are not personal fouls.
Personally, I'm letting the sub in.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
OK, 2 things here. The stop sign is kind of funny, but in all reality it sounds as if you were given the stop sign because you are an assistant coach. Assistants are bench personnel and have no reason to speak to the official. Any questions or comments should come from the head coach only. So, as comical as the stop sign was since your team was obviously trying to get the player with the attitude problem out of the game, you, as an assistant, should not have had any comment on the matter at all. In my opinion the stop sign was your warning before you as bench personell recieved a technical. Remember the quote posted here a few weeks ago: "Sorry Robin, we only talk to Batman". That is probably why the stop sign came out.
In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

This assistant coach was attempting to help defuse a bad situation, and for the ref to pull out the big stop sign at that point is ridiculous.