The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional & double technical - NFHS

Hi all,

I had the following situation during a game and I would like to understand what would be the right procedure under NFHS rule.

Player A1 commits an intentional personal foul on player B1, who is in the act of shooting and scores a two-point field goal. Then B1 and A1 start arguing and both receive a personal technical foul.

My questions are the following:
- A1 needs to be ejected from the game or not? I know that two technicals and two intentional fouls lead to ejection, but what about one technical and one intentional personal foul?
- The penalty for the intentional personal foul is 2 FTs + throw-in from the place nearest the game has stopped, whereas for both personal technical fouls the penalty is 2 FTs + throw-in from the division line. My question here is: what is the correct resumption-of-game procedure?

Thank you.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

INT personal fouls are the same in regards to the player's foul count as a regular personal. A player in theory could commit 5 INT personals before being disqualified.

In your scenario, B1 is awarded two FTs for the INT and because the technicals are a double T situation, you go to point of interruption, which would be a throw-in nearest the spot of the INT foul.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italian_referee View Post
Hi all,

I had the following situation during a game and I would like to understand what would be the right procedure under NFHS rule.

Player A1 commits an intentional personal foul on player B1, who is in the act of shooting and scores a two-point field goal. Then B1 and A1 start arguing and both receive a personal technical foul.

- A1 needs to be ejected from the game or not? I know that two technicals and two intentional fouls lead to ejection, but what about one technical and one intentional personal foul?
- The penalty for the intentional personal foul is 2 FTs + throw-in from the place nearest the game has stopped, whereas for both personal technical fouls the penalty is 2 FTs + throw-in from the division line. My question here is: what is the correct resumption-of-game procedure?

Thank you.
1) No such thing. All fouls are either Personal or Technical. They may also have a qualifier such as Intentional or Flagrant.

2) A player is not ejected for two intentional personal fouls in NFHS. A player is ejected for two technical fouls. So, A1 is not ejected.

So, in the play, the double Ts offset. Resume with B1 shooting two FTs for the INtentionl Personal and B getting the ball out of bounds neares the spot of the foul
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS rules, the "Penalty, 1-c" section for Rule 10-6 states, "No free throws for double personal or technical fouls (point of interruption)."
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hi all,

- A1 needs to be ejected from the game or not? I know that two technicals and two intentional fouls lead to ejection, but what about one technical and one intentional personal foul?u

Thank you.
This may sound mean but where on earth did you get the idea that two intentional fouls lead to an ejection? Maybe a rule book would help here.

The penalty for intentional foul is always two shot and the ball nearest to the foul.

Remember that if you have simultaneous ( double) technical fouls you don’t shoot the fouls and go to point if interruption which would be shooting the 2 for the intentional ( no one lined up) and ball OOB.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
The penalty for intentional foul is always two shot and the ball nearest to the foul.

Except ...

And, I do note that the OP seems to be from Italy, so maybe the FIA rules are different.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 09:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
This may sound mean but where on earth did you get the idea that two intentional fouls lead to an ejection? Maybe a rule book would help here.

Remember that if you have simultaneous ( double) technical fouls you don’t shoot the fouls and go to point if interruption which would be shooting the 2 for the intentional ( no one lined up) and ball OOB.

Kelvin:

Italian Referee is a FIBA Official who has recently relocated from Italy to Philadelphia, and as a former USA Basketball Referee, and from personal experience that FIBA Rules can be different in certain situations from NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, and NBA/WNBA Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This may sound mean but where on earth did you get the idea that the penalty for an intentional foul is always two shots and the ball nearest to the foul. Maybe you should look in a rule book before giving advice here.

You should take care of your own house before throwing stones at someone else's.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000 View Post
This may sound mean but where on earth did you get the idea that the penalty for an intentional foul is always two shots and the ball nearest to the foul. Maybe you should look in a rule book before giving advice here.

You should take care of your own house before throwing stones at someone else's.
Really? under NFHS tell me where that is not true? Rule 10 penalty summary #4 has no exceptions.... what a double intentional foul? Or a multiple intentional foul?
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Kelvin:

Italian Referee is a FIBA Official who has recently relocated from Italy to Philadelphia, and as a former USA Basketball Referee, and from personal experience that FIBA Rules can be different in certain situations from NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, and NBA/WNBA Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ok makes sense
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? under NFHS tell me where that is not true? Rule 10 penalty summary #4 has no exceptions.... what a double intentional foul? Or a multiple intentional foul?
Intentional personal foul when the shooter misses a 3pt try = three shots and a throw-in.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks... forgot about that one.i stand corrected.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for your replies guys!

And you're right, in the rulebook there is no mention of ejection as a consequence of two intentional fouls, I was just mentally associating an intentional foul under NFHS rules with an unsportsmanlike foul in FIBA rules -- and two unsportsmanlike fouls do lead to an ejection -- but I need to be more careful apparently

Thank you all again!
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies guys!

And you're right, in the rulebook there is no mention of ejection as a consequence of two intentional fouls, I was just mentally associating an intentional foul under NFHS rules with an unsportsmanlike foul in FIBA rules -- and two unsportsmanlike fouls do lead to an ejection -- but I need to be more careful apparently

Thank you all again!
I know some wRECk leagues do have a two intentional ejection rule even if they use NFHS rules otherwise.

The league I work has this in part as a way to curb way to physical play that was happening.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Intentional personal foul when the shooter misses a 3pt try = three shots and a throw-in.
Quote:
Thanks... forgot about that one.i stand corrected.
I'm too late to comment with any semblance of usefulness. However, I should note that I got a huge chuckle reading about how Nevada put Kelvin in timeout.