The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Stop Sign

Went to scout a game tonight. Saw two officials that have been calling a long time. One was very very arrogant. A coach questions a call, I don't mean flipping out, just questioning. The official gives him the stop sign 3 times. The coach turns to walk away, makes about three steps and official gives him a T. Coach didn't even know he got it. I think the whole situation could have been avoided if there wasn't a "stop" sign. They went to line up and shoot free throws before he knew he got it. All of this happened 2 minutes left in the first quarter. Guess it was a sign, game turned out to be a pretty fun battle.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me, that it was an official, who thought he was part of the Gestapo. Officials have to realize that the coaches and fans are their customers.

Maybe the ref had a bad experience with the coach.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaRef
Went to scout a game tonight. Saw two officials that have been calling a long time. One was very very arrogant. A coach questions a call, I don't mean flipping out, just questioning. The official gives him the stop sign 3 times. The coach turns to walk away, makes about three steps and official gives him a T. Coach didn't even know he got it. I think the whole situation could have been avoided if there wasn't a "stop" sign. They went to line up and shoot free throws before he knew he got it. All of this happened 2 minutes left in the first quarter. Guess it was a sign, game turned out to be a pretty fun battle.
I think the whole situation could have been avoided if there wasn't a "stop" sign

How would you have handled it?

Did you hear what the coach said as he turned his back and walked away?
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=badgerfan]
Gestapo.

The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
gestapo pl. -pos. A police organization that employs terroristic methods to control a populace

WOW!! I had to look up this word. I do not believe this was the case. The official show a little restraint in my opinion by giving the coach the STOP SIGN!! three times.

Were you there to hear what was said to the official?

The coach could have said something for the official to penalize. He gave the STOP SIGN three times already. Although, it does not look to appealing when giving the T signal to the back of a coach. He/(s)he needs to see it coming. Pesonally, I do not like the word Gestapo used in describing how the situation was handle now understanding what it means.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan
Gestapo.

The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
gestapo pl. -pos. A police organization that employs terroristic methods to control a populace

WOW!! I had to look up this word. I do not believe this was the case. The official show a little restraint in my opinion by giving the coach the STOP SIGN!! three times.

Were you there to hear what was said to the official?

The coach could have said something for the official to penalize. He gave the STOP SIGN three times already. Although, it does not look to appealing when giving the T signal to the back of a coach. He/(s)he needs to see it coming. Pesonally, I do not like the word Gestapo used in describing how the situation was handle now understanding what it means.
I have refereed football and basketball and use the word "Gestapo" for veteran partners who think that they have the power to rule all.

These veteran officials forget that the players and coaches are their customers.

Logical thinking does not prevail during athletic competition for some of these officials. Communication with coaches and players is vital.

My opinion, on my first year of officiating youth basketball and football.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 02:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan
Sounds to me, that it was an official, who thought he was part of the Gestapo. Officials have to realize that the coaches and fans are their customers.
Those statements tie for the dumbest ever made on this forum.

Coaches are not allowed to question any call made by an official, outside of the correctable errors listed in R2-10 and possible bookkeeping and timing mistakes. If you had any kind of clue as to what was actually written in the rules, you might have known that.

Your Gestapo comment is just plain ignorant imo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 02:52am.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 02:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
You are a coach. You think like a coach. You do not think like an official. A coach is not allowed to question an official's call. If they do, they do so at their own risk. You also don't know all of the dynamics of the play, but you sureasheck rush to dump on the official. From what I've seen so far of you, that's just typical. Don't blame the use of the stop sign for the technical foul. Blame the coach who acted in an unsporting manner and caused the technical foul by doing so.

Besides, the coach was probably just trying to get one of those strategic technical fouls that I've heard so much about. That makes it all OK.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 03:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This is the very reason I cannot stand it when people are so adamant to advocate the stop sign. For one it did not work here and no matter how much the official is in the right, you look like an aggressor.

Secondly you have absolutely no idea what was said to that official. For all you know he could have said, "You are the worst f#$K### official I have ever seen and I wish you would go to hell!!" Unless you heard exactly what was said, you cannot sit here and tell anyone what should or should not have been done.

This just goes to show the gesture of the "stop sign" did not work if anything it might have incited the coach to react or say something out of line. I can accomplish the same thing by walking up slowly to a coach with my hand over my face and say just about anything and no one knows what I said except the coach and me. I could threaten a coach. I could curse them out. Or I could just say OK and everything I say looks non-threatening and not confrontational. You can warn a coach in this way and get the desired result. I must be doing something right. I have not had to T many coaches this year and in previous years. And I do not use the stop sign.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Using the stop sign is not a bad thing if done properly.

Had he told the coach, "I've heard enough," and then went about his business, the ball would then have been in the coach's court. He then makes the decision whether he gets a T or not.

The mistakes were being arrogant, if he truly was, and warning the coach three times.

Fans and coaches are customers? Sorry but that's bull$hit. Officials are there to administer the game, not to bend over to the whims and desires of fans and coaches.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 09:47am.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Good Lord, if fans and coaches are customers, does that mean we also have to believe the old adage that "the customer is always right?"

Customers pay for goods and services. I don't think the fans or coaches pay you.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I've had coaches like this one in the scenario. Often times you get that last comment when the coach turns. And that's the one that earns the "T".
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Using the stop sign is not a bad thing if done properly.
Agree. And using it properly is treating it exactly the same as you would treat a verbal warning. You warn once, and then you have to back up your warning if it gets ignored. If you don't, there's no use warning in the first place. Using the stop sign three times was a mistake, as you said. Using it once isn't. And using a stop sign sureasheck doesn't make any official "arrogant" either.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
I've had coaches like this one in the scenario. Often times you get that last comment when the coach turns. And that's the one that earns the "T".
Exactly.....and fanboys in the stand don't hear the comment,but they'll label the official "arrogant" if he issues a righteous "T".

That's exactly why I'm so skeptical when I read these reports about the nasty old officials screwing somebody's team. There's always two sides to a story, and we're only getting one.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I laugh as soon as I hear the words "arrogant" about an official. The operative word in this scenario is three. The only mistake the official made was issuing three warnings. As soon as he got to two they became meaningless. He might as well have picked his nose for all the good it did him.

I always distrust a poster that comes on here and wants to throw an official under the bus for a call. That usually tells me two things.
  1. The poster is not an official
  2. Therefore the poster doesn't know WTF he's talking about.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...The coach turns to walk away, makes about three steps and official gives him a T.
Last coach I T'd up had turned and walked away from me; and as he did so he turned his head back and told me to "shut up".

How do you know what the coach said to the official?