The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

OOB plays - TO timeframe and delays

May I solicit rules and interpretations on these plays:

(1) Team-A (behind at the end of a game) scores a 2-point basket and then Team-B quickly grabs the ball and (a) is on the way with possession of the ball OOB OR (b) already OOB with the ball - BOTH prior the official starting the 5-second count....can Team-A legally still call a TO ? I say yes as the official has not yet started their 5-second count. Rule/Opinion?

(2) Team-A scores a basket with 10.0 seconds left on the clock - Team-B has no more TO's. Team-B then delays on taking the ball OOB for a throw-in. Team-B finally picks up the ball for a throw-in @ 7.0 seconds. Do you: 1) start the 5-second count earlier OR 2) blow the whistle to stop the clock to issue a 'delay' warning to Team-B?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

1a) Yes, grant the TO; 1b) This is kind of a circular question, and we don't know whether the official was correct in not starting the count. But, the "expiration of time to grant a TO" and "the proper time to start the count" occur at the same instant.

2) It's never a delay warning. Start the count if the ball is available to B (or whatever the specific rule book wording is)
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
May I solicit rules and interpretations on these plays:

(1) Team-A (behind at the end of a game) scores a 2-point basket and then Team-B quickly grabs the ball .... (b) already OOB with the ball - BOTH prior the official starting the 5-second count....can Team-A legally still call a TO ? I say yes as the official has not yet started their 5-second count. Rule/Opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1a) Yes, grant the TO; 1b) This is kind of a circular question, and we don't know whether the official was correct in not starting the count. But, the "expiration of time to grant a TO" and "the proper time to start the count" occur at the same instant.
For me, in situation (b), I consider it too late and start a count when the player is OOB AND has turned around (ignoring deliberate delay). I have never seen a player make a throwin with his/her back to the court and I think they should have the 5 full seconds to make the throwin.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
For me, in situation (b), I consider it too late and start a count when the player is OOB AND has turned around (ignoring deliberate delay). I have never seen a player make a throwin with his/her back to the court and I think they should have the 5 full seconds to make the throwin.
I agree -- and meant to put that example in my reply. thanks for adding it.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

OOB plays - TO timeframe and delays

Thank you for the replies.....

May I construe that the Team-A (who has just scored) has the capability to call a TO up to the point of when the official has 'commenced' his/her 5-second count? The answer would be twofold: 1) Team-B member has the ball OOB and 2) the official now recognizes that Team-B member is at the 'ready' to start the inbound pass ( e.g. is now facing the court with the ball.

Thank you.....
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

May I construe that the Team-A (who has just scored) has the capability to call a TO up to the point of when the official has 'commenced' his/her 5-second count? The answer would be twofold: 1) Team-B member has the ball OOB and 2) the official now recognizes that Team-B member is at the 'ready' to start the inbound pass ( e.g. is now facing the court with the ball.

Thank you.....
Yes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thank you.....
Well...

Team A can be granted a TO until the ball is at the disposal of Team B. Once the ball is at the disposal, the count should begin.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2) It's never a delay warning. Start the count if the ball is available to B (or whatever the specific rule book wording is)
2. I know it would be very unusual for this to happen, but I looked, where's the rule reference for your ruling on this type of play? After all, it is a delay of game.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To piggy back on this response. Don't rush your count simply because of the time remaining in the game. Coaches think that time works differently at 5 minutes versus 10 seconds. Don't get caught up in that.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
2. I know it would be very unusual for this to happen, but I looked, where's the rule reference for your ruling on this type of play? After all, it is a delay of game.
The correct ruling for a violation here would be a 5 second inbounds violation. Delay of game has to do with a team that PREVENTS the game from continuing. If the defense swats the ball away it is a delay of game or a T (depending on time of game and the circumstances).
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
I can't prove a negative. To be a delay warning, it must meet one of the 4 delay warning scenarios in 4-Warning (45? 47? something like that). It doesn't so it's not a warning

If you think B could have the ball OOB, and doesn't -- start the count.