The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

When did they change the correctable error timeframe?

Girls varsity last night, scoreboard does not show total team fouls. Whistle a foul on blue, report to the table no indication that we had reached bonus (I know I should have been aware ahead of time...1st game rust). Give the ball to white for an inbound...ball is inbounded and the girl is called for traveling. The horn blows, table calls me over and tells me it should have been 1 and 1 on the last foul. Crew gets together, puts the girl previously fouled on the foul line, I go to the blue coach and explain what is happening and he says "that isn't right! I used to call ball too, that is absolutely wrong." I explain the whole first dead ball after the first live ball thing..."when the hell did that change? It wasn't like that when I called."

I am not the rules history guy by any means...I can't recall it being different but was it ever?
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know the history of the rules very well, but I wouldn't bank on any coach knowing the history of the correctable error timeframe.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Girls varsity last night, scoreboard does not show total team fouls. Whistle a foul on blue, report to the table no indication that we had reached bonus (I know I should have been aware ahead of time...1st game rust). Give the ball to white for an inbound...ball is inbounded and the girl is called for traveling. The horn blows, table calls me over and tells me it should have been 1 and 1 on the last foul. Crew gets together, puts the girl previously fouled on the foul line, I go to the blue coach and explain what is happening and he says "that isn't right! I used to call ball too, that is absolutely wrong." I explain the whole first dead ball after the first live ball thing..."when the hell did that change? It wasn't like that when I called."

I am not the rules history guy by any means...I can't recall it being different but was it ever?
It's been a longgg time if not forever….Did you shoot the free throws with no one on the lane and then give Blue the throw in for the travel? that is a change of possession so you would go to the POI. just checking. thx
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

No we shot the free throw and played on with the rebound. Had a change of possession actually occurred since blue never gained possession? They were never awarded the ball OOB.

Too be honest...this is my first correctable error in so long that I can't recall the last time...if ever! Been calling since 1995 and I don't recall ever having a correctable error situation although I am sure there was somewhere along the way.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 01:41pm
Administrator

Quote:

It is not so much that the "time frame" changed; it is the fact the definition of when a Dead Ball became a Live Ball during Throw-in as change.

In "The Ancient Days" the Ball was Dead during a Throw-in and did not become Live until it was touched by a Player on the Court. Now a Dead Ball becomes a Live Ball when it is at the "disposal" of the Thrower.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 01:46pm. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It is not so much that the "time frame" changed; it is the fact the definition of when a Dead Ball became a Live Ball during Throw-in as change.

In "The Ancient Days" the Ball was Dead during a Throw-in and did not become Live until it was touched by a Player on the Court. Now a Dead Ball becomes a Live Ball when it is at the "disposable" of the Thrower.

MTD, Sr.
Makes sense...I recall that change ALL too well!
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 01:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Makes sense...I recall that change ALL too well!

You aren't that old are you?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No we shot the free throw and played on with the rebound. Had a change of possession actually occurred since blue never gained possession? They were never awarded the ball OOB.
Yes, it is considered a change of possession for correctable error purposes. see case plays 2.10.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Possession isn't specifically defined in the rules. The NFHS should really formalize what they mean by possession as it is used in a few places without being clearly defined. Absent that, it still isn't the same as team control or disposal.

The basic principle is that possession is a status of who deserves the ball at any point in time based on what has happened (a made bucket, an infraction, etc.) Blue earned a possession by way of the travel.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

1973 correctable error limited to before the ball again becomes live following the first dead ball after the error

1976 extended time frame to correct an error made while the clock is running
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hacked ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
1973 correctable error limited to before the ball again becomes live following the first dead ball after the error

1976 extended time frame to correct an error made while the clock is running
Quote:
1979 Player-control foul limited to the player holding or dribbling the ball

1983 An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try and has not returned to the floor; player control extended to include the airborne shooter
Why is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. posting under Rob1968's username?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. posting under Rob1968's username?
I'm just supporting a fellow sextigenarian (sp?) . . .
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 09:40am
Administrator

Quote:
I'm just supporting a fellow sextigenarian (sp?) . . .

Who said anything about X-E-S? Where is Padgett when you need him with an "inappropriate" response?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Living Fossils ...

Quote:
I'm just supporting a fellow sextigenarian ...
The little blue pill crowd?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:55am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The little blue pill crowd?

Billy:

Are you in training to replace Padgett? LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio